Inliners International
Posted By: junkyardjeff Updates on dialing in the 235 - 10/16/09 09:42 PM
Ever since I put in the T-5 and modern rear end it started using more gas so I went to the junkyard and grabbed the jet and power valve spring from a 60 wagon with a 235/powerglide. It had a 42 jet which was a little too small and I did find another carb in the shed and it had a 51 jet and its in and seems to be working just fine,I hope I can get some more driving in before the snow flies so I can get a reading off the plugs and see if the gas consumption goes down. It has 2.79 gears and probably is a little too tall but with the T-5 from a 2.8 it gets out of its way just fine and does not do too bad and I cant use 5th much but its alot better then with the original trans and rear end.
Posted By: gearhead Re: Updates on dialing in the 235 - 10/16/09 11:45 PM
Running it too low in rpms is just as bad as running it too high. I would gear it to be running about 2000-2300 rpms at 65mph.

Also, make sure your speedometer is accurate. It's unlikely to be correct after a significant gear change like that.
Posted By: junkyardjeff Re: Updates on dialing in the 235 - 10/17/09 10:46 AM
The speedo is way off right now and I am not going to fix it untill I decide on the gear I want,right now with the 2.79 gears it does fine if I dont use 5th and I was wanting to put 3.25 or 3.50 gears. I am going to install a tach and a vacumn gauge to see how fast or slow the motor is spinning.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board