Inliners International
Posted By: BlazingSaddles Gas Cap - 07/30/04 12:56 AM
Does anyone know of a "good" vented gas cap. I don' want anything cheap. The one on my truck appear to have a valve of some type in the center but it's not working as you can hear the "whoosh" of air/fuel vapor when you crack it open. Smelly.

Thanks,

Tom
Posted By: Dennis Re: Gas Cap - 07/30/04 09:54 AM
I bought a vented cap for a '65 Chevy pickup at NAPA. I just told them what it was for and they had it in stock. It was $6.95, I think.
Posted By: BlazingSaddles Re: Gas Cap - 07/30/04 11:57 AM
Thanks. I'll check that out.

Tom
Posted By: 4onthefloor Re: Gas Cap - 08/02/04 05:04 PM
Some of them are vented one way so they let air in but not out. Check to make sure it is vacuum and not pressure coming out when you open the cap.
Posted By: BlazingSaddles Re: Gas Cap - 08/02/04 06:32 PM
It's an outward "whoosh" for sure. It causes my carbs to leak and the smell of gas to permeate the air in the garage.
If I leave the cap loose I get no smell.
Who sells the best cap there is? I know that Jim Carter states that they sell a really nice original looking one. None of the bow-tie jobs I've seen are very good. Trash in the chrome and just cheap looking.
I realize this is a small matter but details as well as function mean a lot to me. You can't hide the details.

Tom
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: Gas Cap - 08/02/04 11:17 PM
4onthefloor could be correct. A vacuum as we know is caused by removal of air so when you open the cap ambient air pressure rushes in to fill the vacuum and may cause the whooshing sound you hear.The incoming air also pushes the fumes out. Or you're right and the current summer heat is building pressure in the tank that releases to the air. In any case I wish I could name a good source for a "correct" fuel cap.Maybe you should by any aftermarket one that fits until you locate the one you really want.
Posted By: BlazingSaddles Re: Gas Cap - 08/03/04 02:09 AM
4onthefloor and CatDog; thanks for your inputs regarding this matter. There is no doubt she's making pressure. Caused a small leak in the vent tube where it goes into the tank which completey disappears when the cap is left loose. I got the vent tube fixed (not that it really needed it).
I'm on the hunt for a good cap now. My old BMW bikes usea nice cap made by Blau and it uses a nice cork gasket. Too bad they are a bit on the large side because they are beautifully done.

Thanks,

Tom
Posted By: Johnny Rebel Re: Gas Cap - 08/07/04 09:26 AM
Oh MY......

Do I smell a new breed of tank modifications in the future......

Sorry about the pun
Posted By: gearhead Re: Gas Cap - 08/07/04 11:38 PM
Any vendor that sells parts for 47-54 Chevy trucks would have a cap. You could probably find one in a salvage yard also.
If you're looking fo a locking one, I got mine from The Oldie Goldie Shop, really nice quality, and has a cover over the lock with a chevy bowtie emblem on it. It's nothing like the cheezy generic locking caps you find at department stores. I'm sure other vendors sell the same thing, but that's the only one I know of for sure.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board