Inliners International
Posted By: Malicer side pan gaskets? - 08/02/04 07:43 PM
the last time i was on the highway i noticed a signifigant oil leak 4liters in about an hour. . . but it only leaks at highway speeds could it be the side pan gaskets? i have snuged them up a bit but havn't had a chance to take it for a long highway run.
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/02/04 10:41 PM
4 Liters!!! In an hour?? That's almost everything in the crankcase isn't it? That much oil leaking out the side covers would leave a heck of a trail and make it easy to spot its source.
Posted By: Malicer Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/02/04 10:55 PM
thats what i was thinking you couldn't really see an oil trail but it did coat the whole underneath of the car. so im wondering maybee i should snug up the oil pan a lil.

ever since then ive done a few short highway runs and havn't lost any oil.
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/02/04 11:03 PM
What side is your oil filter on?

John M......
Posted By: magic mike Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/03/04 11:38 AM
Must be either a hole in the oil pan (likely), a rusted spot (or spots) in the oil pan, or a very very loose pan drain bolt.

-magic mike-
Posted By: Malicer Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/03/04 05:14 PM
filter is on the passengers side

i put a new filter on and changed the oil last weekend
Posted By: Mike G Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/03/04 10:17 PM
You didn't mention if the engine is using a PCV valve or it has a road draft tube coming from the rear hole on top of the valve cover. One possibility is if you are using the older type of vent the has the road draft tube then it could be coming from it at higher rpm if there is no baffle in the valve cover or the baffle was removed. A sure sign of this being the problem would be the top, sides, and bottom of the engine completely oil free and the lower end of the road tube dripping wet. This would soak the underside of the car as you describe and leave the engine relatively dry forward of the tube.
Posted By: gearhead Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/03/04 11:33 PM
If it wasn't leaking before you did the oil/filter change, then I would think you didn't get the filter on right, since it is on the same side as the pushrod covers (on a 250 Chevy).

Beware, over tightening cork gaskets is not good, as you will split the cork and leak for sure.

De-grease everything and check the filter before you get too carried away.
Posted By: Malicer Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/04/04 04:55 PM
i think i figured it out i did steam the engine off and its the front edge of the top pan thats leaking a bit its driping down then the fan catches it and blows a nice even coat over everything making the motor shiny.

it does have a pcv valve and a vented oil cap.
it was leaking before i put the car away last summer. i planned on replacing most of the gaskets before i drove the car to onterio but my other car broke down so i had no choice but to drive my chevyII. and i just hapen to be leaving to drive from NS to woodstock NB tomorow morning.
Posted By: Johnny Rebel Re: side pan gaskets? - 08/05/04 06:04 PM
Clean the engine with a good degreaser like gunk so you can try to spot where the leak is comming from
© Inliners International Bulletin Board