Inliners International
Posted By: Sam Welch BarsLeaks - 04/27/10 08:01 AM
Reading Sonny's info on BarsLeaks in the 12 Port News made me wonder how many of you use it and what is your impression?
Posted By: George Re: BarsLeaks - 04/28/10 11:39 AM
I had to use it at the track last year. It worked well, but when I got radiator fixed, I flushed out the system a couple of times and eventually had to use lacquer thinner in order to clean out the radiator.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: BarsLeaks - 04/28/10 08:15 PM
George, I had to use that on my late model Dodge.

I've fixed the leak since then and I flushed the system 2 or 3 times (3 IIRC) and I'm getitng little rubbery balls of crud in the system.

Is that what you were getting (or similar)?

If so, the lacquer thinner got rid of it?
Posted By: George Re: BarsLeaks - 04/29/10 09:52 AM
Hi, Erik. That's exactly what I had in the system after using Barsleak, a lot of crud. Yes, the lacquer thinner did the trick but it didn't clear up everything the first time. I had to give the radiator another lacquer thinner cleaning out event. The coolant system's been normal ever since. Thankfully.
Posted By: LGriffin_#4385 Re: BarsLeaks - 04/29/10 11:02 AM
That's an interesting problem. I'm wondering what causes that crud and if Barsleak is aware of it. Barsleak is one of the few additives(?) my Dad recommended. My Dad had been in Auto parts and service for thirty years.

Larry
Posted By: Sam Welch Re: BarsLeaks - 05/01/10 08:29 AM
Thanks guys, that is surely info to keep in mind.
Posted By: will6er Re: BarsLeaks - 05/01/10 10:35 PM
I haven't used Bars Leaks in quite a while but as I remember, there were little rubbery balls in the liquid.

Will6er
Posted By: cletis Re: BarsLeaks - 05/11/10 10:19 PM
After reading Sonny's tip I added some to my '56. The guy that sold it to me said to open the heater all the way or it will stop up the core. I figured if the heater isn't on none will get to the core. What do you guys think. Will it migrate up the return side?
Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER Re: BarsLeaks - 05/12/10 01:34 AM
It will probably clog up the heater control valve . I would do as directed.
Posted By: wonton Re: BarsLeaks - 05/16/10 07:59 PM
Never use BarsLeak; it reacts to air in the system and will coat your radiator tubes, reducing efficiency. I always use AlumaSeal or CopperSeal, these products will not attach to your cooling system and will do a much better job of sealing any water or compression leaks.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: BarsLeaks - 05/16/10 08:35 PM
A couple of years ago I read in a service bulletin that GM, Ford, and Chrysler put some Barsleak in on the assembly line. Beater
© Inliners International Bulletin Board