Inliners International
Posted By: TPost Mounting Carter/Webers - 08/22/10 02:55 PM
I have a 250 with a Offy intake. I just got 2 Carter/Weber carbs from Landgons. His directions say to mount them with the fuel inlets facing forward. Well, it would be ALOT easier to do my trottle linkage if they were mounted the other way with the inlets facing toward the rear of the car. Is their any reason I cant mount them this way? Thanks, Todd
Just a guess, but maybe if you accelerate or decellerate too fast w/the inlets facing aft,there will be a problem w/fuel delivery?

MBHD
Posted By: chevy2inreno Re: Mounting Carter/Webers - 08/22/10 03:31 PM
Check with Langdons.
Posted By: DeuceCoupe Re: Mounting Carter/Webers - 08/22/10 04:09 PM
I would guess the inlets wouldn't care since they see fue pump pressure anyway (unless it's a gravity-fed Model A Ford or such).

But, in the stock application (2-liter Pinto for example) the carbs are mounted as Langdon recommends. Then when you accelerate, fuel would slosh TOWARD the jets and boosters, just when that would be helpful, for initial response off the line.

If you mount the carbs backwards to that, fuel would slosh AWAY from the jets/boosters on acceleration, which might cause hesitation on launch.

Now, on the big dual-quad Holley Fords, the carbs are mounted "backwards" and this is not a problem, so you might get away with it on the Carter/Weber. Or not. Maybe Langdon has tried it both ways or maybe just playing it safe and advising to install them so the fuel sloshes toward the jets/boosters. Ask!
Posted By: robertf II# 3850 Re: Mounting Carter/Webers - 08/25/10 09:03 PM
langdon used to sell carbs & manifolds with linkage kits of his design & manufacture. that is probably the biggest reason for his reccomending the carbs face in a certain direction. i'd ask him. i'm sure it's something he's thought out.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board