Inliners International
Posted By: 77w74 mufflers - 11/18/10 08:16 PM
hey everyone, i'm going to be putting a new exhaust on my truck that has a 292. does anyone have reccomendations for a good sounding muffler (glasspack or turbo muffler)? i'm wanting a throaty sound nothing too loud. thanks for any info.
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: mufflers - 11/19/10 12:11 PM
Stock exhaust?
Posted By: 77w74 Re: mufflers - 11/19/10 02:06 PM
i was going to have it come out before the rear wheels on my chevy crew cab p/u. probably w/ 2 1/4in pipe.
Posted By: DeuceCoupe Re: mufflers - 11/19/10 06:04 PM
On a truck you can run a looooooooooooooong glass pack and it will sound healthy but still quiet.

Get the perforated kind, NOT the louvered kind. Get a 2-1/2" if you can, if it is loooooooooong it will still be pretty quiet and a single 2-1/2" is plenty good for a stock 292, you could get away with a single 2-1/4" glasspack too.

The short ones, car style, will be a lot louder though.
Posted By: 6inarow I.I. #1475 Re: mufflers - 11/20/10 07:47 PM
Porter?
Posted By: 56er Re: mufflers - 11/22/10 02:19 AM
If you are going to go out before the rear axle, go out the right side so it isn't in your face all the time.
Posted By: jimmy six #35 Re: mufflers - 11/24/10 11:57 AM
Muffler??? Whats that.....
Posted By: scpousn Re: mufflers - 11/24/10 04:06 PM
I used the hush thrush and I like them. they are quiet so you can hear the motor running but if your behind them and get on it they sound real nice,
Posted By: snowman4839 Re: mufflers - 11/26/10 03:18 AM
I don't recommend a turbo muffler. I replaced my stock-style muffler with a Cherry Bomb turbo muffler and it's pathetic. It sounds the exact same as stock besides a somewhat annoying resonation inside the car at low RPM. I'm planning to take a glass pack to it when I get the money.
Posted By: panic Re: mufflers - 11/26/10 11:42 AM
Loud has nothing to do with how much power is produced, unless it has no muffler at all.
Hasn't anyone noticed the (unintentionally humorous) remark "it sounds like a small block!"? No, it doesn't - it's just loud.
Look at the next loud car in traffic - isn't it some little idiot with his hat on backwards, in a Honda with a 6" fart-can? He's sure he's James Bond...
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: mufflers - 11/26/10 06:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: panic
Loud has nothing to do with how much power is produced, unless it has no muffler at all.
Hasn't anyone noticed the (unintentionally humorous) remark "it sounds like a small block!"? No, it doesn't - it's just loud.
Look at the next loud car in traffic - isn't it some little idiot with his hat on backwards, in a Honda with a 6" fart-can? He's sure he's James Bond...

What a Harley Davidson aficionado that doesn't scream loud pipes saves lives??? What isn't mentioned is that several studies and magazine track tests have shown that a well designed exhaust system using mufflers can supply more torque to the ground and better et's than straight pipes with no muffler on street driven cars. Personally I like the sounds of glasspacks and they're the cheapest mufflers out there!
© Inliners International Bulletin Board