Inliners International
Posted By: wonton Valve guide - 12/28/10 09:16 PM
One broken intake valve guide, 3/4" busted off the bottom. Valve seems to be ok and functioning as normal; should I replace the guide or just leave it alone. Seems ok.

ron
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Valve guide - 12/28/10 10:13 PM
What made you inspect it? What kind of engine?
Posted By: wonton Re: Valve guide - 12/28/10 10:22 PM
Duh, guess that might help............235 Chevy. Doesn't seem like the valve has much side thrust and the intake would run cooler than the ex. I was going to button everything back up (after valve job) unless someone started screeming that this was a stupid thing to do. Of course this wouldn't be the first time.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Valve guide - 12/29/10 12:16 AM
Not as familiar with those heads. If it were a 250/292 head, only about 1/2" is left of the guide sticking into port for me.
Posted By: preacher-no choir Re: Valve guide - 12/29/10 02:56 PM
these motors have pressed in valve guides (a lot of pressure when they get old) where the next generation motors were like small block chevy V8s and intregally cast) you will need a special stepped tool to press it out (can be made easily on a lathe). If not much is missing maybe leave it alone as head must be removed to get guide pressed out. It would probably take an old automotive machine shop to have a new replacement guide. Good luck, not a hard job, just be careful not to ruin a good head. Reread your post, 3/4" seems like a lot,pressing in a new guide would also mean probably retouching that valve's seat before remounting the head (...while its off...type thinking)
Posted By: popper6 Re: Valve guide - 12/30/10 05:38 PM
I have the tool to do this if it becomes necessary. They are easy to make if you have access to a lathe. 1 OL REDNECK
© Inliners International Bulletin Board