Inliners International
Posted By: Heater63 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/23/11 06:18 PM
Anyone with a 292 running AC with Sanden compressor on the passenger side (like a vintage air mount)? Which HEI fits best under the compressor? It looks like the big head HEI with the coil in the cap will be very very tight. What about Langdons HEI units with remote coil? One is "pancaked" and other looks like a stock points distributor.
Posted By: LGriffin_#4385 Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/23/11 09:58 PM
I don't run AC, but pulled an HEI out of a 74-75 truck with AC and it had the external coil. The AC was mounted above it. An HEI with external coil should give you more room. If you still points distributor convert it to HEI with a Pertronix.

Larry
Posted By: JOE LARSON Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/24/11 12:52 AM
H63....If you're talking about VA's 250 bracket, the coil-in-cap dist is out of the question. I used Tom Langdon's low cap and remote coil and that wasn't incident free but I think the low profile outcome was worth it. The mini unit he offers would make the install $100 more, but save a lot of time and effort. I had to clearance the bottom of the bracket quite a bit to allow room for plug wires.
I just added 4 pics to my photo bucket account under inline stuff. 2 & 3 show clearance work and interference (not sure why they landed that way but I'm too tired to learn how to fix it tonight!) and 1 & 4 show the profile achieved.
Posted By: Heater63 Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/24/11 01:39 AM
Larry, I dont have an old points distributor, and want to run HEI. Yes, I agree the external coil would be best. I do have Pertronix in my stock first gen Camaro 327 and love it.

Joe, I looked at your pics, and you also emailed me some last year..thanks! It looks like the low profile Langdon you are running is the best bet to fit; I think the "stock distributor" type, although smaller diameter, would be too tall to clear the Sanden compressor.
Posted By: JOE LARSON Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/24/11 01:01 PM
H63...I don't have a Mini to compare but think it would easily clear the comp....It's the WIDTH of the stock HEI's that causes the interference by bringing the wire insulators out right under the closest bracket arm. By reducing that radius you gain over an inch of vertical space and that should be enough to eliminate all of the interferences. Maybe someone else could chime in with height info on the Mini or you could call Tom Langdon.
Posted By: Heater63 Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/24/11 04:28 PM
I did call Langdons and left a voice message; awaiting a call back. He doesn't give any dimensions on the website, and the pictures are not made in the same scale, so it's hard to draw much comparision.
Posted By: Heater63 Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/24/11 05:50 PM
Mr. Langdon called and said the special low profile distributor would be the best fit with most clearance. It is more $$ because it is a custom assembly using parts from a marine unit as well as a S10 unit. It is partially reman'd, partially new construction. He also said the dry square coil is superior and longer lasting than the old round wet coil.
Posted By: k5carrillo Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/24/11 08:40 PM
There is this on Ebay. Maybe a little $$.

Ebay item 320718302055.

He claims good clearance in all cases.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZ...50Q26Q5ffviQ3d1

MBHD
Posted By: Mr48chev Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 06/24/11 09:46 PM
Check with GMC Bubba if one can be setup he can do it http://www.lindertech.com/bhrs/
Posted By: 46plus Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 12/22/11 02:38 PM
I have a 1975 292 L6 in my 46' Chevy pickup. I purchased a A/C compressor bracket ($135.00) for a Sanden 508 from Davis Speed Equipment (608-469-4927). It is very heavy duty and is very adjustable for pulley ailgnment. After much research, he is the only one I could find that manufactures them 292 L6 specific. Note: I tried one for a 250 L6 and decided to replace it due to the look and fitment. I plan to have mine chromed because I think it will compliment the engine bay not detract from it.
Posted By: bcowanwheels Re: 292 HEI clearance with AC - 12/22/11 07:00 PM
I,AM GOING TO BUILD MY OWN A/C MOUNT FOR MY 292
© Inliners International Bulletin Board