Inliners International
Posted By: Freddysthlm GMC 270 Rocker arm shaft - 01/08/13 10:33 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a question about the "rocker arm shaft retaining screw" that i found loose under the valve cover.
I have been told that this screw/bolt shall fit into a little hole in the shaft to keep it in place.

I also understand that this is vital for the oil to reach the arms themselfes.
However: my rocker shaft seemes to have rotaded out of place.

Question:
Is there any way to rotate the shaft back into place without removing the complete assembly?
and also: this screw/bolt needs to be tighten down (hence the copper washer, right?)

Picture of the bolt and the hole just in front of it:
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: GMC 270 Rocker arm shaft - 01/08/13 07:46 PM
I just checked a set I have off the engine. All of the stands rotate freely except the one with the locating screw. If there is a lot of wear end to end movement may be difficult. I bet you can get it back in place by using something like an ice pick in the cotter pin hole.
Posted By: Freddysthlm Re: GMC 270 Rocker arm shaft - 01/09/13 08:42 PM
Thank you very much for checking, you are too kind.
I couldent move it so the whole assembly had to come off, then it moved.
Now all i need are two new copper washers and then torque the stands down to 25 fp.

Thanks !
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: GMC 270 Rocker arm shaft - 01/09/13 09:21 PM
You are very welcome. It's good to know my piles of junk can help others. A small drop of blue Locktite on the locating bolt might be a good preventative measure?
Posted By: Freddysthlm Re: GMC 270 Rocker arm shaft - 01/10/13 05:55 AM
Great, yes, very good idea, i will use loctite, sure dont wanna be driving around without oil to the arms.

This whole oil flow setup is interesting, when looking at the shaft through the locating hole i see that there are two holes in the shaft (through the shaft), one larger than the other, the larger one needs to be pointing down, facing the oil inlet from the head, right? =)
Posted By: Freddysthlm Re: GMC 270 Rocker arm shaft - 03/07/13 07:14 AM
Update to self and other newbies:
Large hole up, screw only gets fully seated one way.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board