Inliners International
Hey guys! I recently purchased a 292. the casting # indicates it is a 1970 engine. The motor did not come with a water pump, but does have a thermostat housing just like the 250's. I have noticed that some 292's have a water pump with a large coolant bypass port (on the drivers side)with a matching port off of the lower thermostat housing. But I have also seen 292's without this style water pump. At some point did Chevy change the 292 pump over to a 250 style water pump. So I guess my other question is did my motor come with the wrong t'stat housing, or can I use it and just put a 250 pump on? Thanks guys!
if you have a 292 you shout NOT run a 250 water pump is will ascetically look the same but will not flow the proper amount of coolant needed which is something like 70gpm

as for the other q2uestions i am not sure of sorry

stay inline!
Buy a pump for a "84" C20 292 application. It will use a small threaded bypass hose.
imo you need the larger "correct" bypass hose setup. these 6's need all the cooling help they can get especially if over bored. they factory made the big hose b/p for a reason.
 Originally Posted By: bcowanwheels
imo you need the larger "correct" bypass hose setup. these 6's need all the cooling help they can get especially if over bored. they factory made the big hose b/p for a reason.

Only problem is I don't have the proper t'housing for the coolant bypass. looked around on ebay but could only find 250 housings.
I have extras of those.

The 292 was designed with the big bypass when used in heavy operations like big trucks and AG applications. I think it was over kill for most other applications.
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
I have extras of those.

The 292 was designed with the big bypass when used in heavy operations like big trucks and AG applications. I think it was over kill for most other applications.

PM sent to tlowe!!!!!!!!!!!!
THESE REASON THE CHEVY 6,S HAVE HEAT ISSUES, GET THE BIG 292 B/P OUTLET YOU,LL BE GLAD YOU DID JMO
© Inliners International Bulletin Board