Inliners International
Posted By: walpolla Identification - 08/18/13 08:42 PM
Hello, is anyone able to identify this engine from this pic?

[IMG=http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9282/ykif.jpg][/IMG]

We don't see many Chev engines here, and I am only going on the rocker cover - looks Chev to me. But it could also be Bedford, as a lot of those were around in small trucks .
The engine is in a fire pumper in a museum I looked at last weekend.

regards,Rod
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Identification - 08/18/13 09:35 PM
The valve cover looks like a 216. A picture if the other side would help. 216s have a big sheet metal side cover that goes all the way up around the spark plugs. Some trucks had an early 235 that looked like the 216s and I think the early power-glides had a 235 that looked the same as the 216. Two bolts on top of the valve cover = 216. Four screws in the valve cover rim = 235 or 261.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: Identification - 08/18/13 10:47 PM
Thats probably the Aussie Holden Grey motor. Its similar to the Chevy Stovebolt engines made here between 1937-1962.
Posted By: stock49 Re: Identification - 08/18/13 11:45 PM
I agree with Beater - the general layout is consistent with Chevy 216. The external oil line (passing back into and through the block) to feed the rocker arms is a tell . . . as is the location for the oil pressure sender . . .

But the head is sort of odd. The short side head bolts typically sit in cast nooks surrounded by the top side water jacket - and the water temp sender hole is typically over the rear intake port:

On the engine in the pumper the the short head bolts are on what looks like a flat - with a flat casting behind. And the water water temp sender hole is way back over the last exhaust port in a bulge that looks more like a boss(plugged).

At the front it appears that the head extends beyond the valve cover . . . curious . . . but I still vote Chevy.

Not sure what that tube running from the exhaust manifold to the dash would be for? A hand warmer?

regards,
stock49
Posted By: stock49 Re: Identification - 08/18/13 11:47 PM
Holden Gray eh? Never seen one of those.
Posted By: walpolla Re: Identification - 08/19/13 12:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Thats probably the Aussie Holden Grey motor. Its similar to the Chevy Stovebolt engines made here between 1937-1962.

Most definately not. I cut my teeth on greys, and the red one in the pic is physically a bit bigger also.

Here are 2 pics of a Holden "grey". Made up to 1963.

I am searching for a Bedford pic, but nothing on the intake side found yet.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far.

regards,Rod
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: Identification - 08/19/13 01:14 AM
It has a lot of characteristics like that of a Stovebolt, thats why I thought it might be the Holden Grey motor. But without any reference to size its was hard to tell otherwise.
Posted By: walpolla Re: Identification - 08/19/13 09:31 AM
The gremlins have taken over my original post pic link it seems. Here it is again with no link.

regards,Rod
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Identification - 08/19/13 11:17 AM
The way the thermostat housing mounts is different and I had not noticed the head being longer than the valve cover. At Bonneville there was a stock '36 UTE that the owner said had a 216. It looked like a 216 but I didn't look closely and I didn't take a picture of the engine.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board