Inliners International
Posted By: vwnate1 250 Cam gear Remove / Install ? - 01/04/15 12:30 AM
I looked in the FSM and it says to knock it off with a mallet....

Is this correct ? .

I got my new cam and lifters , want to buy a new cam gear (still looking) and wonder about this .

I'd also like to know who prefers what cam lube for the assembly

TIA , I'll be back to check up as I'm not getting notifications .

(yes , I searched ' cam gear ' and hundreds of pages none had this Q.)
Look down the page to Snowman's turbo build. There was just a lot of discussion there about cam gear assembly.
Posted By: vwnate1 Re: 250 Cam gear Remove / Install ? - 01/04/15 11:53 AM
Thank you ~

Unfortunately there are hundreds of posts under this heading , I read a bunch then gave up and asked .

So I'm still out here .
Posted By: intergrated j 78 Re: 250 Cam gear Remove / Install ? - 01/04/15 12:25 PM
Go to forums-general discussion -blown and injected. Then go to Snowmans build. About 28 pages.good discussion about gears there . Jay 6155
To get the old one off try to heat the gear, I'm assuming it is aluminum, without heating the cam. A small torch works well. To put one on get the cam as cold as you can. Put in in the freezer or leave it out side if your ghetto is a cold one. Put the gear in the oven at about 250. Make sure the retainer and key are on place. Using pot holders you should be able to pretty much drop it on. Have a mallet handy just incase you need it. This method keeps from displacing metal from the gear. Having someone to hold the cam helps or you can carefully clamp it in a vise. Hope this helps.
Posted By: vwnate1 Re: 250 Cam gear Remove / Install ? - 01/05/15 01:49 AM
Thank you VERY much ! .

This is what I was hoping to hear .
Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: vwnate1 Re: 250 Cam gear Remove / Install ? - 01/05/15 10:10 AM
I will ! .

I'm working on this 292 and a 250 both right now, the 250 is pretty much just a strip off the old paint and clean up , re - paint , I need to remove the sump and bang the two large dents out of it .

The new 292 pistons should be here soon , any day now then off to get some gapless pistons rings , blah blah blah...

Engine overhaul is usually very easy and I like doing it still after all these decades at it .
© Inliners International Bulletin Board