Inliners International
Posted By: tlowe #1716 What brand intake? - 01/19/15 06:05 PM
Have a guy asking me. Looks like it fits 235-261.
What brand is it?
It has bolt on runners from log to head. Located on bottom side that is not shown.
Posted By: gbauer Re: What brand intake? - 01/19/15 06:26 PM
Are those ears right for a 235? The look a little small..

Do you know what kind of engine? Chevy? Ford? Mopar? foreign?

It might be a stock European manufactuer's piece.

My google-foo is off on this one. Any more pics?
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: What brand intake? - 01/19/15 06:41 PM
It's hard to tell from just one picture and no measurements but I've never seen one like it. I appears to be well made.
Posted By: gbauer Re: What brand intake? - 01/19/15 06:51 PM
What kind of carb fits on it? That might help narrow it down.
Posted By: stock49 Re: What brand intake? - 01/19/15 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: gbauer
What kind of carb fits on it? That might help narrow it down.

3-bolt pattern was used by Stromberg, Holley and Carter. Most hot rodders in the 50s were fitting Srombergs cause the junk yards were full of them . . . The 3 bolt pattern was OEM for Ford flatheads and sixes in 30 and 40s - then they switched to Holley. The 3 bolt Carter was used on Buick straight8s including the famous Compound Carburetion (progressive 2 deuce). GM continued to use the 2 barrel Carter (WCD, WGD) but with a four bolt base - while Nash, and then AMC kept the 3 bolt variation into at least the early 60's.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: What brand intake? - 01/19/15 10:42 PM
He gave me some measurements.

Intake port bores-approx. 1 3/4 inch and machined for a ring
9" center to center on intake ports.

Interesting , bolt on intake runners.

Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: What brand intake? - 01/20/15 12:09 AM
That would be a GMC 270H or 302. If he doesn't want it he can send it to me. smile
Posted By: stock49 Re: What brand intake? - 01/20/15 12:35 AM
Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Interesting , bolt on intake runners.

I think McGurk was the first to use this approach on a production piece:

McGurk 5x1 on eBay
He had a narrow log that he fitted between 2 and 5 Ones and wider log that he fitted between 2 and 5 Deuces! With flats on both the top and bottom of the log the carb spacing and the intake runner spacing was matter of where to cut the holes . . .

ingenious . . .
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: What brand intake? - 01/20/15 02:51 PM
Howard used it too but that may have been after McGurk. The log on this one looks like the one in question except it is for single barrels. I can't imagine McGurk not putting his name on it.

This is the same style only said to be a Wayne. There was a mention of both Wayne and McGurk selling the same manifold. Maybe there is no name because they both used it. I have a Clifford with no name that was cast by Offenhauser because I bought it in the middle of a design change or at least that is what Clifford told me.

Or a Lee. This one looks like someone turned the log around. I didn't find a 2 bbl manifold.

This all came from this thread on the HAMB.
LINK
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: What brand intake? - 01/31/15 07:11 PM
It's a Lee intake, most likely for a Chevy as they made very few GMC's.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board