Inliners International
Posted By: rustypipes 54 chevy alternator bracket - 02/02/05 04:49 AM
anyone know where I can find a 12 volt alternator conversion bracket for a 54 belair, any help is appreciated
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: 54 chevy alternator bracket - 02/02/05 10:15 AM
I think Patrick's sells them for 216/235/261,etc.
I have recently seen one on eBay too.
Posted By: fab51 Re: 54 chevy alternator bracket - 02/02/05 10:29 AM
A cheaper alternative, if you have access to the parts...I used the lower bracket from a 250, and redrilled the holes that mount it to the block. I used the original 235 upper generator arm. I had to rebend it just a bit. Works quite nicely, but you have to be careful about alignment.
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: 54 chevy alternator bracket - 02/02/05 10:50 AM
Tim, Using your system,is the alternator mounted at the top or bottom of the block? I like your idea and may use it myself.
Posted By: Mike G Re: 54 chevy alternator bracket - 02/02/05 03:57 PM
Another option is the one I used on my 216. Get one of those chrome alt brackets shaped like a letter F that they sell for attaching to the bracket on SBC V8 headers. The front hole in this bracket aligns the pulleys correctly but the bolt spacing is not the same as the mounting bosses on the engine block. Redrill the rear hole so it aligns with the hole in the block. The upper adjusting arm needs a slight amount of rebending to align with the adjustment boss on the alternator and its done.

Not that you really need a chrome bracket but they are available almost everywhere for under $9 which makes it simple if you don't have a late model inline one laying around and you don't want to roam a junk yard in the middle of winter to find one.

Mike
Posted By: fab51 Re: 54 chevy alternator bracket - 02/03/05 10:15 AM
Drew-

It mounts on the bottom, in exactly the same spot the generator was. Like I said, you have to be careful to drill the bracket in the right spot to get the pulleys lined up, but as I recall (its been about 10 years since I've done this) it wasn't a problem at all. HTH.
Posted By: cgresham1212 Re: 54 chevy alternator bracket - 02/09/05 01:02 AM
Why not just make spacers out of a piece of pipe and use the existing bracket?
Posted By: happy hoppy Re: 54 chevy alternator bracket - 03/12/05 10:10 PM
HA!
Tim, I did the same thing on my 235.
Iam not that dumb afber all.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board