Inliners International
Posted By: GMDad 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/19/15 05:20 PM
Trying to seal up some of the oil leaks on my 292 and was going to re-seal the side covers. I can't locate cork gaskets up here in my immediate area just the Fel Pro 13315R rubber gaskets. Anybody had good luck using these? What did you put them on with contact cement or silicone or something else?
Thanks
Posted By: Noblesix Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/19/15 05:56 PM
I used a super thin film of high temp rtv on the cover just to keep the gasket in place. no leaks since. you can very easily use too much rtv. just a super thin film. enough to barely hold the gasket in place.
Posted By: GMDad Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/19/15 06:30 PM
was that with the rubber or cork gaskets?
Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/19/15 07:27 PM
Before I try to fix ANY leaking sheet metal valve cover I put a deep well socket (about 3/4) on an extension and clamp it in my vise. Then I turn the valve cover upside down, place it against the socket by each hold down hole and gently tap the surface around the bolt hole flat. They have a tendency to get distorted due to over torqueing them or just repeated tightening.
The rubber Felpro gaskets are better than the cork ones I.M.O.

MBHD
Posted By: gbauer Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/19/15 10:02 PM
Ditto on the rubber being better.
Posted By: GMDad Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/19/15 10:46 PM
OK I have a set of the rubber and will put them on. What o you think of the aluminum finned side covers? They are an option for me as well. Bought them off Tom a few years ago......
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/19/15 11:37 PM
I used the felpro rubber gaskets on my sidecovers with no silicon and I have no leaks as all. Works better than cork imop. tj
Posted By: Bruce Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/20/15 06:41 PM
I have used the rubber with 3M weather strip adhesive with good luck.
Posted By: Noblesix Re: 292 push rod cover gaskets - 02/20/15 10:27 PM
@ GMDad I have the rubber ones
© Inliners International Bulletin Board