Inliners International
Posted By: stock49 Crankshaft Repair - 03/12/24 04:06 PM
Watched this over coffee this morning. He takes what most would consider scrap and puts it back to work.

AnilKapoor-onFaceBook

His use of pins seems to be for alignment as his welds seemed to penetrate quite deeply.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He as quite a few videos on YouTube showing repairs on all sorts cranks - some of the them from huge engines for boats and heavy equipment.

Attached picture AnilKapoor1.jpg
Attached File
AnilKapoor2.jpg  (102 downloads)
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Crankshaft Repair - 03/12/24 05:11 PM
I'm not on facebook so I can not view the video. This is interesting and I have watched many videos of people making repairs that seem amazing by today's replace the part standards. My father was a journeyman machinist, a welder, a well driller, a farmer, and a mechanic. When I was a child I spent a LOT of time with him when doing all of this things. All of this was in rural Texas where replacement parts were often days away and work needed to be done. I never saw him weld a crank shaft but I saw him FIX things in ways that are not the norm today. I wish I had not lost him so soon. Once I herd him tell a customer, "If someone can build that surely to God I can rebuild it!"
Posted By: stock49 Re: Crankshaft Repair - 03/12/24 07:27 PM
Sadly, lots of skills from back in the day are gone forever. I have seen many a thread about the eatliest automatic transmissions that warn - don't take it apart, no one knows how to adjust them. If it still works, flush it and drive it.

No need to login to watch a direct linked video. Just close the login box and it will play.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Crankshaft Repair - 03/13/24 10:31 PM
I have seen that video before one heck of a job.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Crankshaft Repair - 03/14/24 03:57 PM
OK. Thanks I was able to watch it. Not the sterile operating room setting of some machine shops. Certainly not the "pretty" welds showcased in many videos, the grinding was pretty crude both before and after welding. The realignment wasn't really shown except the drilling & pins but the results are what matters. I'd like to see how it worked out. I have no doubt it was put to use. There are tons of videos showing the extreme uses of trucks & all kinds of heavy equipment in other parts of the world and how they are put back together. I watched one with two barefoot middle East men hot riveting a truck frame back together. Amazing things are done where skillful workers are forced to make do with what is at hand. Necessity is a mother!

The guy that built the engine for the Wright Brother's plane carved it out of hunks of metal.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board