Inliners International
Posted By: stan1366 Rebuilt 258 smoking badly - 08/08/04 10:18 PM
I've got a friend who just had his 258 in a CJ-5 rebuilt by a reputable shop. It's blowing smoke and the shop says it's due to the fact that he's got an aftermarket aluminum valve cover which doesn't have the proper baffeling for the PCV valve. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Is it possible to add/fabricate something to help?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Rebuilt 258 smoking badly - 08/08/04 11:36 PM
If it doesn't have a baffle It is very possable That is su*king oil into the intake system. Yes i'm sure you could find someone to make you a baffle and weld it inside the cover Or you maybe able to make one yourself and screw it to the inside. Hope this helps }[oooooo]
Posted By: stan1366 Re: Rebuilt 258 smoking badly - 08/09/04 02:45 AM
Thanks Larry. This is what he was told to do. I was hoping someone that might have had the same problem would say "thats it. Install a baffle!"
Posted By: gearhead Re: Rebuilt 258 smoking badly - 08/09/04 02:28 PM
I'm assuming he has tried to run it without it hooked up to verify that it is really the problem?
Posted By: sixpak Re: Rebuilt 258 smoking badly - 08/11/05 11:38 PM
If the valve cover is a Clifford it has two stands on either side of the hole. I think it may even have two small divets to start a drill bit. Drill, tap, and make a cover plate and your in business.
Posted By: SCRAPIRON, #4711 Re: Rebuilt 258 smoking badly - 08/12/05 12:14 AM
A big mistake a lot of rebuild shops make is using oversize valves inplace of new guides then they put pc seals on the valve towers without cutting about .250 off the towers...then..when the valve opens the stepdown on the valve stem goes below the seal and when it comes up it peels the inside of the seal out.. talking about blowing oil..!!! Worth taking a look..SCRAP
© Inliners International Bulletin Board