Inliners International
Posted By: bcowanwheels kaiser jeep 230 tornado 6 engine - 10/20/11 06:43 PM
any of you fellas have any experience with the tornado 230 OHC ENGINE ? sure seems like a little work horse to me. I have one in my m715 kaiser jeep army truck and it does a fine job but is getting a little tired now. the 5.87 gears runs it to death even if I keep my speed to 40mph or less. I,ve got everything to rebuild this engine and considering it for a winter project.
thoughts ????
bob
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: kaiser jeep 230 tornado 6 engine - 10/30/11 01:39 PM
I think they are still made in Argentina by Renault so you might want to do an International check if you want performance parts. After a rebuild you might also think about a gear or axle change to drop the rpm's. There are still a lot of them out there because I think they used in the Wagoneers/wagons after phasing out the flathead until the late 60's, maybe later.
Posted By: bcowanwheels Re: kaiser jeep 230 tornado 6 engine - 11/16/11 11:00 PM
yea i swaped the 5.87's to 4.56's. now i can do 60 mph woo hoo
My brother had a '63 Wagoneer with an OHC 6. Is that what we're talking about? I think there were issues with that engine but he never had one. His previous '55 wagon had the Hurricane flathead six, torque monster. I saw a crank from a Tornado OHC that had set outside for several years. It had a tiny bit of surface rust that we wiped away with an oily rag. Use a Jeep crank as my headstone. Beater
© Inliners International Bulletin Board