Inliners International
Posted By: mick53 duel fuel system - 03/03/19 01:04 PM
Is it feasible to have a duel fuel system on my blown 292? I was thinking of being able to drive to the strip, put a party pulley on and switch over to race gas. Any thought would be appreciated. Thank you for your time. Crank fired ignition, 3 Roch 2bbl, 4-71 blower, dry sump.
Posted By: panic Re: duel fuel system - 03/03/19 01:24 PM
Are you going to re-jet and advance the spark for the race gas? Otherwise no power advantage, just more anti-knock.
Posted By: mick53 Re: duel fuel system - 03/04/19 01:22 AM
I think the timing could be done on the ignition computer? I don't know much about this. I'm not building the engine. I just thought with race gas I could increase the boost safer. I know just enough to come up with ideas that may be dumb. This is how I learn. Thank you.
Posted By: panic Re: duel fuel system - 03/04/19 10:06 AM
Yes, if it has that capacity.
Posted By: mick53 Re: duel fuel system - 03/04/19 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: panic
Yes, if it has that capacity.

Thank you, I will talk to Gaerte.
Posted By: panic Re: duel fuel system - 03/04/19 03:20 PM
I should have been more clear: more boost (pulley change) will make more power but the gas quality does not contain any more energy per liter.
Posted By: mick53 Re: duel fuel system - 03/05/19 01:01 AM
I'm just trying to avoid detonation with more boost by having higher octane.
Posted By: panic Re: duel fuel system - 03/05/19 10:52 AM
Should work, just a lot of extra plumbing.
Posted By: mick53 Re: duel fuel system - 03/05/19 02:42 PM
Originally Posted By: panic
Should work, just a lot of extra plumbing.

Thank you.
Posted By: panic Re: duel fuel system - 03/05/19 02:50 PM
Race gas has another advantage over use of E85, methanol etc. which would produce even more power: you don't have to purge & flush the system to avoid corrosion.
If your lines, pressure regulator, fuel block, electric external pump, etc. are large enough you might be able to use them for both fuels by inserting a selector valve between the suction lines from the tanks (I'll defer to those who have actually done this).
Posted By: mick53 Re: duel fuel system - 03/05/19 04:31 PM
Kinda like the duel tank setup on my work truck? I was thinking of making a fuel cell with a chambered small compartment for race fuel.
Posted By: TraditionalToolworks Re: duel fuel system - 03/09/19 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: mick53
Kinda like the duel tank setup on my work truck? I was thinking of making a fuel cell with a chambered small compartment for race fuel.

I think this would work fine, and function pretty much as a dual tank truck systems does.

I have 2 tanks on my flatbed and it works good, just takes a second or two to switch over.

I've never investigated what is needed to run 2 tanks, but think they both need to have a fuel pump in them as most fuel pumps are mounted inside the tank these days.

I've pondered if this would give me some extra fuel in my 'ol '46, as it seems limited to have one large tank, so it might be possible to add 2 smaller ones. I have been planning to use the original style tank under the seat, and a second in/under the bed. Currently the original tank is there but not being used.

As for separating petrol from high octane fuel, I think it would work well for that. cool
© Inliners International Bulletin Board