Inliners International
Posted By: efi-diy '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/14/21 07:04 PM
twins
Posted By: panic Re: '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/14/21 08:22 PM
For the original parts, substitute $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted By: efi-diy Re: '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/15/21 11:40 PM
They wanted something different....
Posted By: panic Re: '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/16/21 01:45 PM
All of that work could have been applied to a Ford 300 with far better results.
My 183" 2JZ didn't need all that work.
They are building what they want with their own money. That obviously didn't want a Ford engine their GM truck. They didn't want a newer GM six. As a guy who likes the older Chevy & GMC sixes I really like what they have done. It's really been since about 1954 that there has been much updated information on these engines, Bill Fisher's book. Looking under the hood of their truck would be a treat. Hearing and seeing it run even better. Practicality isn't the goal.
For all the high tech they put on the motor I wonder why they did not address all the sharp corners and valve shrouding in the chambers? Free HP is waiting in there.
Posted By: panic Re: '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/19/21 01:49 PM
It's not a Chevrolet head, it's a replica of a Wayne 12 port head.
Posted By: panic Re: '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/20/21 01:03 PM
The individual ports and cross flow are, of course, improvements, but nothing new.
That combustion chamber was what passed for efficient at the time.
The idea of a bowl (not a hemi, understood 40 years earlier) without angling the valves, or any quench surface, was already obsolete by 1949 (Oldsmobile and Cadillac V8s).
Why they spent all of that money, but couldn't do anything with the head, is a mystery to me.
Posted By: stock49 Re: '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/20/21 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: panic
The individual ports and cross flow are, of course, improvements, but nothing new.
That combustion chamber was what passed for efficient at the time.
The idea of a bowl (not a hemi, understood 40 years earlier) without angling the valves, or any quench surface, was already obsolete by 1949 (Oldsmobile and Cadillac V8s).
Why they spent all of that money, but couldn't do anything with the head, is a mystery to me.

I guess at some point everyone runs shy of cubic-dollars to invest in a particular project.
Posted By: panic Re: '58 stovebolt - twin turbo build - 11/21/21 12:40 AM
But ALL of the extremely complex work to the upper end was planned after acquiring the Wayne head. It wasn't an afterthought.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board