Inliners International
Did some work for my Camaro.
Here are some pics.
This project takes me so-long guys, sorry it is, but moneys tight,& still not a whole lot of time.
O-well I still try.
MBHD

Lookin good! I likey. Where did the plenum extrusion and velocity stacks come from? http://www.Rossmachineracing.com

Thanks,

I made the velocity stacks, they do not make the size I needed, plenum is from Ross.

I really do not like that it's a 1/4" thick,it's heavy.

MBHD
Looks real good!
I was thinking about buying some of their manifold parts and putting one together, but I'm not going after a lot of HP and figured I didn't need it. Bought a used Clifford ($157 shipped), that I'll install injector bungs in instead.
Can't wait to see yours finished though! Don't be stingy with the pics as you go.
 Originally Posted By: kyull67
Looks real good!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: copo-rat
I'm not going after a lot of HP and figured I didn't need it.
Can't wait to see yours finished though! Don't be stingy with the pics as you go.

The engine in my car, I am not looking to make a lot of power either,20+ years old, if it will stay together until I get the EFI figured out I am thinking about 400HP to the wheels.

W/a Clifford intake & a SPA turbo manifold a guy in Brazil has made 860 HP w/a siamessed cyl head IIRC.

I am making the intake manifold because nobody makes one readily available.

I can get Hogans manifold to make one but for the price of $1900 & up , I cannot afford that.

I can't wait myself to get this project moving a long , but don't hold your breath,it's going real slow over here, my fault.

I'll post pics when I get more progress.

MBHD
Nice looking stacks. I agree, that intake plenum from Ross is heavy walled. Is there anything available that is thinner?

Keep plugging away. You will get it done.
dammit boy, that looks great!

Originally Posted By: Boucher
dammit boy, that looks great!

Thank you!
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Nice looking stacks. I agree, that intake plenum from Ross is heavy walled. Is there anything available that is thinner?

Keep plugging away. You will get it done.

Thanks,
I do not know of any other places that sells "D" type extrusions w/a thinner wall.

I bought the plenum a few years ago, & have not looked recently for any other ones.

Maybe next manifold,I'll make a sheet aluminum type. Depends on if this manifold will perform, well see. ;\)

MBHD
Lookin great! what advantages does the fuel injection offer over a carb?
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091226111207AAKFDuZ

One thing, you can enrichen fuel @ any point of your RPM & take it away the next 100 RPM then add more if you would want to.

Same for your timing,add 20 degrees total @ 2000 rpm, 2100 30 total,2200 back to 5 degrees total,just an example.

Much more precise measuring A/F ratios. Program your injectors to follow a 14.6 A/F ratio @ cruise etc.

Much much more abiltities to follow different engine parameters etc.

MBHD
Hank,
That's looking pretty good.
You are light years ahead of me. (so far )

Paul
 Originally Posted By: McGoo
Hank,
That's looking pretty good.
You are light years ahead of me. (so far )

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Can't say I am light years ahead, I still have a very long way to go.

Update on buying a Hogan Intake manifold for my 12 port head. Price is $1800.00

MBHD
I took my intake runners to a high end muffler/fab shop to try & flare out one end of the tube, did not turn out good, not consistant & off-center.

Cannot really flare out & be on center in the slight bend on the mandrel bent tubing,causes them to stretch more one way,hence off-set centers. I may need to use longer runners for the shop to bend them more evenly (on the straight section)but will add to runner length, I would like them to be as short as possible for max HP.
Plus, I do not want to got too close to the master cylinder & I really do not want to have to relocate the MC.

One of the short tubes the guy used a ram type flaring tool, but cannot be used on my curved/bent tubing (can't hold tubing), other type was just using a standard expanding tool to fit my velocity stack,not good for flow, I want a gradual taper for a smooth transition.

Need some ideas guys, casting the runners would be nice, but don't have that kind of time.

Any ideas guys?

I will have to try & figure out something else.

I have another set of 6 mandrel bent pipes to mess around with.
Ideas?

EFI DIY, can you cast me some runners?
Your's came out great.

MBHD
Are those steel or aluminum? Your plenum is alum.
Are those steel or aluminum? Your plenum is alum.

The whole set-up is aluminum.

MBHD
Why not have some short pieces flared using the 'ram' type method and then just weld them to your bends? Who cares if it has a weld....I actually like the look of welds on fabricated intakes, valve covers etc.
Just my .02
Coop-rat, thanks
That is why the owner of the shop made that 1 ram flared piece & suggested to cut & weld onto the bent pieces, that is an option I am thinking about also.

MBHD
Where did you get the mandrel bent aluminum?
Could you get the flair you what on a straight tube then cut and weld it to your mandrel bend?
Where did you get the mandrel bent aluminum?

It's been a while like 5 years ago IIRC.

I just had a company make the bends for me, can't remember off hand & would need to look @ old receipts.

Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Could you get the flair you what on a straight tube then cut and weld it to your mandrel bend?

Yes, that is what coop-rat & I already thought about,Thanks Beater.

MBHD
Why not use the right size tubing to start with that doesn't need to be flared. Most sheetmetal intakes i've seen have the runner end that fits into the plenum radiused to take the place of the velocity stack piece you had machined, that way you dont have to try and transition between 3 seperate pieces, only the plenum and the runner.
If it was me, first I would take a bodywork class at the community college. Then, I would anneal the ends with a torch. Next, I would take a ball peen hammer and a shot bag and just flare out the ends real gentle-like until I got the size and flare I wanted. Then you could work the thicker and thinner areas differently to keep the flare concentric.

Note: this all pre-supposes abilities and coordination that I myself do not possess. I'm hopeful of being bitten by a radioactive spider or falling in a vat of toxic waste though.
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Why not use the right size tubing to start with that doesn't need to be flared. Most sheetmetal intakes i've seen have the runner end that fits into the plenum radiused to take the place of the velocity stack piece you had machined, that way you dont have to try and transition between 3 seperate pieces, only the plenum and the runner.

The tubing is perfect size for the intake port, I need it to flare open to match my velocity stacks I made. I do believe my velocity stacks would flow better & more even air flow than a sheet metal intake.
I am trying to work w/what I have.
Thanks for the suggestion.
 Originally Posted By: 56er
If it was me, first I would take a bodywork class at the community college. Then, I would anneal the ends with a torch. Next, I would take a ball peen hammer and a shot bag and just flare out the ends real gentle-like until I got the size and flare I wanted. Then you could work the thicker and thinner areas differently to keep the flare concentric.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I cut to length the other set of six runners & need to measure to see if it will clear my master cylinder.
Then I will have the muffler shop try & do a better job.
We will see. ;\)

MBHD
Good luck and keep at it. If you could not do this stuff you would have quit already. You'll figure it out.
Beater
Thank you.

I'm not K.O.'d yet.

MBHD
Just an update,
muffler shop could not flare my tubes evenly, so I just made a mandrel & pressed out some flared tubing.

Next,, fitting it altogether & get it welded up. Long process,, but having fun.

MBHD
What kind of press did you use? This is fun to watch. Did the flares come out as evenly as you wanted?
My work has a 10+ ton hyd.press.

The flares came out nice & even with the help of the mandrels(
items @ the lft of pics ) I made out of billet steel.

MBHD
3 steps? Did you have to anneal the metal between steps?
No annealing done, it's not that hard & not that soft either.

Not sure what you mean 3 steps?

MBHD
OK I see it now. I was looking at the photo wrong. I thought the two tubes on their sides were other dies. It made me think there were more stages to the process. When I make .219 Donaldson Wasp cases from 30-30 brass it requires annealing and several forming dies. They don't all make it to the end. \:o Let us know how it works.
Lookin good Hank! Makes me wish I had a set! Can't wait to see some more progress....awesome.
Thanks,
it's a slow process,mainly me
Today I worked on the intake runners.

MBHD
Hank, What equipment did you use to turn those stacks?
I use my Craftsman lathe, Made by Altas Clausing

Other step done on my old 1946 Horizontal/Verticle mill made by Rusknok/Sheldon

MBHD
Nice work. Must be Model 0 Sheldon with a Rusnok head adapted? I have a model 0 Sheldon/Vernon with the single tee slot table, no vertical head. Guessing about 1950-ish. Is yours the later three tee slot version? I wish mine was.

I believe the mill is all original. Single slot,(so it's small)wish it was a bit bigger.

The placards are made of brass w/raised lettering.
I changed some bearings out & they had dates of 1946-1947

The horizontal uses a Browne & Sharpe # 9 taper, not common.
I want to upgrade the drive for the horizontal so the drive belts & pulleys wont be outside of the machine so far out.

I only have the Verticle part working right now.

MBHD
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN3056.jpg

Here is what mine looks like after I got it cleaned up. It was pretty nasty, a retired production machine. Ugly but still in decent condition. I bought this machine for a gear project that didn't materialize so I have to confess I've not run it more than a couple test cuts. I do have the table feed parts but not installed. They need some repair which is probably the reason it was retired. 3-5209 S/N.

My horizontal spindle drive is enclosed in the base and top castings. Yours is outside the machine? My table feed drive belt is off the back of the spindle, is that what you refer to? Just curious. If you need any photos or anything from my machine to help you with yours let me know, I'll try to help.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/page6.html
Thats cool, they look the same!

My mill looks pretty much the same. Mine is a cast iron base.

I guess the Rusnok (SP) vertical mill is adapted?

I'll have to take some pics.

As I said, the horizontal part is not together though.

The drive for the horizontal part is partially inside big 220 volt motor in the base,varible speed (pulley V-grove, gets wider or smaller to increase or decrease speed,same as your's I believe.
Here are some pics, sorry for the mess & not so good pics

Any pics form the drive system would be cool to see as mine was apart when I got it.
Thanks

MBHD
Here you go:

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN3060.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN3059.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN3061.jpg

That's all the drive photos I have. Can get more if you want but not today because the machine is tucked away in a corner and not accessible.
I wish I had enough power to run my mill. So far my 20 solar panels won't do it. I can run every thing else.
How many more panels would it take?
What it would take is a couple more inverters at about 7 grad each or one big 24v DC motor. Or maybe a new engine on my 8KW generator.
Back to the topic.

I finshed my TB adaptor.
Here are a few pics.

MBHD
Smooth! Makin some good progress. That's slick Hank. What kind of TB are you using?
Pretty part. How are you generating the radius cuts on your lathe?
When I don't CNC a part, I use a radius cutter and put it in the tool post holder. Works pretty good. He probably is doing the same.
Thanks, the TB is a race version Accufab.

MBHD

Smooth! Makin some good progress. That's slick Hank. What kind of TB are you using?
 Originally Posted By: strokersix
Pretty part. How are you generating the radius cuts on your lathe?

Believe it or not, I use a router table (as in wood router) or a hand held router.
I've been using routers for years, LOL
Things you think of when you dont have a CNC mill or lathe or paying someone to do it for you.

Just make sure they are carbide tipped cutters & use cutting oil.
Plus a speed control is handy.
Also, make small cuts.

MBHD
O-ring groove for TB sealing.

MBHD
Good job Hank. I like the router table idea.
Thanks,

parts going over to a friend of a friends house to weld & make little more progress.

I have been looking @ a website that states the velosity stacks should not sit flush w/the bottom of the plenum because of air turbulence.
http://horsepowercalculators.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Intake-Manifold-Design3.jpg
http://driveninnovations.com/index.php?o...tid=6&Itemid=22
http://horsepowercalculators.net/intake-manifold-design/intake-manifold-design
http://horsepowercalculators.net/the-horsepower-calculator

I would have liked to have the velosity stacks raised up from the bottom of the plenum, but I thought the Ross machine Co was a simple & effective way to make the job easier to make a intake plenum.

I had given Douglas some tips on how he should make his plenum & to install the injectors directly over the center of the velosity stacks, (makes a good amount of more power that way) something just got lost in the communication dept. & they were located a bit too far away from the velosity stack, it still seemed to work though?

Well, I am still going through w/this intake manifold & see how it works out anyways.

MBHD
Little more progress, almost done!

The boys wanting to get in on the action!

MBHD
Continued:
12 point nut for valve cover

Stainless washer w/built in green urethane gasket

Velosity stacks welded, intake runners welded

I am really impressed w/this guy doing the welding, he does this in his garage.

The extra welding material buil-up on the plenum is so I can grind/contour better radius' in the angles.

He took his time & did it all in about an hour.

MBHD
Looking Good \:\)
The tapered pieces worked out well. Keep that friend! Nice welds. It'll be good to see it all together.
I'd like to see an end shot looking into the plenum...
Did all those pretty welds in an hour? Nice!
Thanks guys,

Originally Posted By: efi-diy
I'd like to see an end shot looking into the plenum...

Let's see your plenum shot.
https://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=64996#Post64996
Post number #64979 MBHD[/b]
A bit more work done.

Sorry a little blurry.

This is the first intake manifold I ever made.

MBHD
Man, That is really coming along! Nice work.
Thanks. Next is injector bungs.

MBHD
That looks pretty good man! Is that one of Craig's flanges that he machined or did someone else do that? Did you weld that? So when is it going to run
Thanks Mighty6,

it's my first attempt,who knows how well it will work.

I got the flange from Mike, so I think Craig made it.

I had a guy weld it for me in his garage, he's a gear head & absolutely loves to weld.
I wish I could weld like that.

No set time when I will have the 12 port headed engine even together, a long time though, low on $$$$.

My Camaro needs a lot of work & I need new front end parts,rear end parts etc.
Not just stock parts either, aftermarket Global West or Detroit Speed upper & lower control arms. Quadralink from Detroit Speed.

I like very pricey parts, well pricey for my income anyways.

And of course,house repairs. Kids private school costs etc, it never ends, so car stuff is on the back burner for the most part.

I do what I can, to get some sort of progress torwards my Camaro to satisfy my inline 6 urge.LOL.

Ca, cut after school day care programs so my kids need to go to private school/daycare. Ca is broke.

Need to sell some stuff to buy some parts.

I always enter my car on car TV shows in hopes they can restore it.
No luck so far.

MBHD
Getting ready for intake flow comparision as opposed w/out intake manifold.

[IMG]

MBHD
Intake is looking nice! You should let me try it out.

Got anymore pics of the pistons?
I've done a little bit of aluminum welding but never looked that good. Very nice! When do you thnk it will be running?
Intake is looking nice! You should let me try it out.
Got anymore pics of the pistons?

Thanks, do you have a 12 port head my intake will fit?
Don't have anymore pics of the piston handy.

I've done a little bit of aluminum welding but never looked that good. Very nice! When do you thnk it will be running?

Thanks, yeh,the guy really enjoys welding & I think it shows in his work.
No set time when it will be running. I know not for a long time though,, money is tight. \:\(
I need to sell some of my junk to buy new junk, & I do have too much junk.

MBHD
The more of it you stick together the better it looks. It takes time for those of us on regular/not so regular incomes to meet our family's needs and then to attempt to as you put it "satisfy my inline 6 urge". Your priorities are correct and your progress is steady, quality work. Are you listing the things you want to sell here? Wasn't that your Paxton supercharged set up a few years ago yours? Good stuff.
Thanks Beater,

I have some inline 6 stuff to sell,& SBC stuff,just used stuff for the most part.
I will list them,when I get a chance. Here, C.L., Ebay

The Paxton set up was mine, I sold it to a guy in Australia,have not heard from him since he got it.

MBHD
That looks pretty good all together. What mm air valve is that? I'm guessing that is the air horn for the turbo? Did you buy that or make it?
Thanks again.

The T.B. is 75 MM.
The air horn/velocity stack if from Turbonetics.

MBHD
I got the injector bungs cut now. \:o

MBHD
Lookin real nice Hank! I'm jealous! Can't wait to see the bungs installed. Cool stuff man.
Thanks copo-rat,
I have a couple other things to make before I get them welded.

MBHD
Wow. That's looking great! Good job!

What type of head is that?
Thanks Snowman,

The cyl head is a 12 port Sissell/Kirby aluminum head.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=32...ltX5TBWI0At4VQw

MBHD
Not my manifold but for same project.
Pic of my boost controller w/custom overlay.

MBHD
Your Z/26 graphics made me smile. Thanks!
Injectors bungs not welded, but here you can see the steep angle they are going to be welded at.
I borrowed my friends tool to machine my fuel rail. 1" shank it cuts the correct size for a tap & cuts a groove for the o-ring.
Nice guy & nice shop he has along w/his parts.
http://www.theboostdepot.com/

MBHD
Your Z/26 graphics made me smile. Thanks!

Thanks strokersix,
CNC dude is supposed to make me some Z/26 emblems for my Camaro when he gets time, I can't wait.

MBHD
Hank, is that a -8 fuel rail?
Hank, is that a -8 fuel rail?

No, it's a -10.
I don't need it that big, but I like the beefy look. \:D

MBHD
Haven't forgotten about it Hank, just trying to meet some deadlines for finishing (3) different intake manifold casting patterns I am developing for these inlines engines before I get side tracked and loose focus on these goals I have set. I'll get you fixed up.
Thanks CNC-Dude

I am curious as to what manifolds you decided to make?

MBHD
I think there is a good market for a 2 bbl. intake for the 194-230 guys. You seem to never hear much from them, and many of them want the same upgrades as the 250-292 group in an intake, but not necessarily all the way to a 4 bbl. I am going to do other engine groups as well like a GMC 4 bbl intake and a couple for the Straight 8 Buick guys. I also have a couple of other ideas for the 194-292 engine family im kicking around too.
Here is the whimpy fuel regulator I purchased a while ago.

Here are a few new pics,

MBHD
Since I will be using a small turbo initially for my siamesed port old engine combo, I want to get the most airflow possible delivered to the turbos inlet.
The purple velosity stack bolts onto the 4" turbos inlet, then I will use 6" ducting w/a remote mounted K&N w/a 6" opening.

MBHD
Nice looking intake. You should let me try it.
how restrictive is that K&N bag? or does it have a bunch of holes on the other side. Its gonna be a long ride for the unlucky air that gets sucked into that intake-heck, it you got to have it--work it for all its worth.
This is how the velosity stack used to look like before.I installed a 6" flange onto it.

MBHD
I can't remember if anyone ever posted a pic of a SPA manifold from the back side?
So here is one I had.

MBHD
Did some work on the inlet to the tubo.

I blended the inlet on the turbo itself so there is a smoother transition from the 6" velocity stacks inlet to the turbos 4" inlet.

Also, trying to make mock-up brackets for my aftermarket power steering pump.

Still have not finished my billet water pump pulley.

My -10 Fuel rail is about done.
Here are some pics.

MBHD

Looks good Hank. You build big strong stuff to last and you just keep plugging along. It'll be a screamer soon.
Thanks Beater.

Yeh, been working on it when I can.

My boys seem interested in it also, so that's a good sign.

MBHD
Hank,

Maybe it's just the angle that the photo is taken from, but the yop of your power steering pump looks fairly high.
Is it lower than the top of your valve cover?

Paul
It is about the same level.

The brackets(which are scrape sheets of aluminum) are in the mock up stage, nothing is in it's permanent position.

The inlet ducting to the turbo is 6", so it's going to be tight, also need to run 3" intercooler plumbing around someway of the 6" inlet ducting.
Here are some pics of my supercharger set-up I ran, it's pretty high up also.
It fit under the stock flat hood on my Camaro.

MBHD

I tried out how the aftermarket PS pump & pulleys will fit or not fit under the hood.

Pump fits easily, actually it could go up a couple inches even & clear a stock flat Camaro hood.

I added a serpentine belt tensioner for ease of maintenance.

I would have like to have the belt tensioner in a lower location, but not too much room in the lower areas.
Looks a little hokie, but o-well.

The brackets are still just mock up ones.

Found out I do not have enough room to fit the 6" velosity stack,upper control arm is in the way I will try & locate it closer to my 6" K&N filter I hope.

Please excuse my car, it is filthy & pretty damm ugly.
It's been sitting for 11 + years

Shouldn't you be mocking all this stuff up with your 12 port head....
I am going to get this engine going first.
The 12 port eng is a long way off to be done.

MBHD
Working on my custom cold air intake set-up.
Here are a few pics.
Since I did not have enough room for the velocity stack attached to the turbo, I moved it futher upstream & attached a bracket to the fender well. Still not complete, need to install a couple nutplates to the aluminum piece welded to the velocity stack.

MBHD

Power steering pump below valve cover height.

Veloscity stack bracket attached to fenderwell.

Velocity stack inlet & bracket.
Man if you can close the hood on all of that you will have done something. You should put little sticky arrows pointing in the direction of air flow. With that big Intake on it'll be tight. Good work.
Thanks.

The stock flat hood closes & it all fits so far.

Maybe put some danger zone decals on the intake system like they have near a turbine engine inlet.

MBHD
Not sure you guys are familiar with Camaro inner fender well support brackets & bumper brackets?

I made these carbon fiber brackets to save some weight.

Here are painted carbon fiber pieces.

Raw carbon before paint.

Raw carbon before paint.

MBHD
Looks great Hank!
Did you use that power steering pump for a specific reason (more room, less drag), or just because it was available.

Since my project is similar to yours, I am paying attention to some of the things you are doing.

Paul
Thank you.

I bought that pump because it's smaller, lighter (than stock) & I am switching over to serpentine belt system.

Right now I am making the bracket assy's, not much done so far, I am machineing a billet 1.250" plate. Hope it turns out OK. \:D

I will be installing hydroboost brake system at some point. http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-New-Complete...3ce7bc6&vxp=mtr

I have lots of plans for my first gen Camaro, just not much $$$

B.T.W., lets see some pics of your ride/project.
MBHD
Here is the power steering pump bracket I am starting to machine.
I am no machinist, but I do enjoy machining/making parts.

I do see that my cutter is chattering. I might use my works mill (more beefy) for the final passes.
The aluminum plate is beefy, 1.250" thick.

No pictures yet, car is still on the hoist in the garage and the engine is at the machine shop.
Pistons are due in this week, and I ordered a few goodies from Tom Lowe and they should be en route soon.
I will be borrowing a bare block and head from the machine shop to do some test fitting.
I will take some pics next time I'm at the machine shop and post those up.
Lots more work than I expected, but looking forward to it.
Funny how the budget can take a real beating though isn't it?

P
I would like to see some pics here.
Maybe start a new topic here on the BB about your build?
Did you happen to take some pics?

I feel like I am the only first gen Camaro guy here keeping it a bit old school but w/modern updates.

MBHD
I have it on my mock up engine.
Not done, just more progress.

Here are some pics.

MBHD

Hank, That is nice work. Few will really understand what it takes to get all of this under the hood much less make it work. Time well spent.
Beater
Thanks Beater,
it does take time.

One thing I got going for me is an engine in the car & a mock up engine on a stand. Sorta speeds up the process a bit.

Sorry for the other BS going on here on the BB, I have a stalker looking @ all my posts. \:D

MBHD
As long as you can make progress on your project like this who cares about the outside crap. Billet is cool when you make it yourself!
Alodined & Zinc chromated the cold air intake C.A.I.

Large area light weight aluminum washers (in black)

MBHD
Getting closer to finishing the fwd pump bracket.

MBHD
Really nice work.
Thank you.

MBHD
Some more pics.

The ball end milling grooves are crooked , but I will straighten them out.

MBHD

Titanium high torque screws to attach belt tensioner.
A.K.A NAZI screws

Looks nice. Nobody but you will notice the slightly angled grooves. They are on the back side too.
Eventually it will go into my ride.
No progress to report, no $$
Just pics of my car. Don't laugh.

original 250 car

Rack & pinion & downpipe

MBHD
It may be moving slowly but what gets done is done well. Life and $$ keeps getting in the way of my roadster project. I have almost everything but can't seem to get a few key things done so I can move forward. Keep at it, That is going to be a great ride again.
Hank,
The body looks great! Around here, if you left that outside like you probably do, rust would have it.
Straight and rust free, it don't get much better than that.

I see what looks like rack and pinion steering? Keep plugging away.
Thanks Beater & Tlowe,

It's a common problem w/most people, never enough money to get our rides done quickly.

Yes, that is a rack & pinion, wanted to clean up the engine compartment & remove some weight. ;\)

MBHD
Hank,

How much weight are you saving with that rack? Is it power assist or manual?
I would expect it opens up the left side of the engine bay a bit too?

Paul
Hank,

How much weight are you saving with that rack? Is it power assist or manual?
I would expect it opens up the left side of the engine bay a bit too?

Paul

Off hand I forgot what the weight savings is , but it is quit a bit, 30-40 LBS? It will be power assist & will add hydroboost brake system as well. http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/66.htm

I am going to install an aluminum pump w/plastic resv tank I made these brackets to use.

Yes, it does clean up & give more room on the drivers side engine compartment.

MBHD
The very newest Camaro uses an ELECTRICAL power steering rack- no pumps,hoses or brackets required.
 Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir
The very newest Camaro uses an ELECTRICAL power steering rack- no pumps,hoses or brackets required.

Almost all new cars are going green. No hyd fluid to spill/leak onto the ground.

I am sure the price is way up there if you want to fit one of those units into your ride. Go for it.

I doubt the brake pressure is 2000+ on those Camaros like a hydroboost system has.

I need strong brakes.

MBHD
and store bought brackets, oil, and other people's thinkin' are cheap?
I seem to recall Flaming River has an electric power steering option.

Not cheap as you mentioned.
 Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir
and store bought brackets, oil, and other people's thinkin' are cheap?

Is this a question?
You can tell by the question mark.
Took my mock-up engine off of the eng stand & installed into my new cradle.

Engine did not fit in the cradle so I had to remove some material in a few places.

Here: two places, next to timing cover & next to alternator bracket

Here: next to timing cover
:

Other than those problems the eng cradle works good.

Now I can pull my engine, so I can modify my oil pan, it does not clear the rack & pinion steering set-up I installed.
Also need to clean up my engine compartment while the engine will be out.
Note: my oil pan is not stock.

MBHD
Nice looking stand! Where did you get it?

The drive setup looks good. Your shop looks busy like mine.
Thanks,

I wish I had a shop the size of yours.

Mine is just a standard 2 car garage with no room to really organize all the stuff.

MBHD
Since I am down for post rotator cuff surgery, there is not a lot I can do.
But I did manage to make a rocker arm pedestal mount do I can flow test my cylinder head & intake manifold.

Not quite done, but close to it.

MBHD
Where did that head come from? I don't remember that. Have you been holding out on us?
Where did that head come from? I don't remember that. Have you been holding out on us?

I have had it for years now. That's why I'm broke \:D

I am pretty sure I posted pics of it here.
I posted some pics on this topic right here. post #65792

Here are some more.

MBHD

MBHD
WOW! That is nice. I don't remember seeing it. I guess there is some posts here I miss. I don't know what I thought your intake was going on.
Finished the rocker arm pedestal mount today.
Bought a cheap 0-1 dial indicator $13.00 shipped.

I checked it & it gets coil bind @ .800" lift, damm it!

\:D It's all good, my cam only opens the valve pretty small/mild a poultry.600"

A mild roller cam, easy on valve train.

Hopefully soon I will get my cyl head ported & flow checked w/my intake manifold I made.

MBHD
Little more free time to kill.

I made this con rod bolt stretch tool.

MBHD
Looks good! They sure come in handy.
Hank, I still think you have too much spare time on your hands.

Great looking tools!
Thanks guys.

I have a lot of free time right now because of surgery I had on a torn rotator cuff.

Problem w/this free time is that I am in a lot of pain & am very week in one shoulder & cannot due simple tasks like lay on one side & work on cars, reaching is limited & no strength when reaching.

I am in more pain after the surgery than the actual torn rotator cuff.
Doc said it would be a long & painful recovery.
He had told me to expect a 90% recovery & will be about a year when most all pain will be gone.

MBHD
More free time.

I made this velocity stack to flow test my cylinder head.

It can fit on all intake ports.

It will most likely lose peak flow numbers, but it will making flow tests more consistent, than building up clay on each port.

MBHD
When's it going to run?
Who knows.
Don't have enough money for parts needed. For the engine & the car.
Life just gets in the way, the usual stuff to deal with, bills, honey do lists, house projects, family, etc, etc.
It's all good though, I do wish I had more $$$, don't we all.
Just doing a little work on engine building & buying a little at a time.

MBHD
Just keep plugging away. All the little things have to be done at some point. It's best not to have them holding the project back when everything else is ready to go.
Thanks for encouragement.

I know every time I would get close to starting up an engine, there are a bunch of odds & ends needed w/multiple auto parts store runs, @ least it happens to me all the time anyways. \:D

I did make a bracket to hold my oil filter assembly for my turbocharger.
Made it out of phenolic.

Some other pics of my mock-up engine.

MBHD
You should be proud of the craftsmanship on that engine. Jay 6155
You're not the only one that has to make a dozen trips to the parts store as you get closer and closer to fire up =P
Thanks Jay,
I do what I can.

Here I made a billet power steering pump brace.

Just in case it wants to shake a little. It's all about triangulation. \:D

Note: I ordered some new hardware since it needs a longer bolt, hence nut & washer missing.

I also had to mod the aft bracket so I could use a socket & ratchet for the forward exhaust manifold nut.

I used a grinder w/a carbide burr, I will later mill it for a little better look.

MBHD

I ordered a oil return drain for my turbo set-up.

They have a couple variations.

Just thought I would share an easy install item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Oil-Pan-Oi...213278819&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301213278819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Oil-Pan-Oi...=item43cb81003e

I remember all the trouble Snowman had with his install so I thought to help others here contemplating a turbo install.

MBHD
Slick!
That is pretty cool!
Is there any rule of thumb on the best place to install one of these returns? Near the bottom? At the rear close to the pickup? Near the surface of a full oil pan? Above the surface? Is there any disadvantage to installing it below the level of the oil in the pan, like air lock or??
Is there any rule of thumb on the best place to install one of these returns? Near the bottom? At the rear close to the pickup? Near the surface of a full oil pan? Above the surface? Is there any disadvantage to installing it below the level of the oil in the pan, like air lock or??
Some engines I seen the oil return is near to bottom of the block, (turbos are located higher up).

On a typical oil return, you want it close to the oil pan rail, above the oil itself, never @ or blow the oil level, it won't drain then.
Then you will have problems.

MBHD
For an extra engine crankcase breather I used a 3/8" aluminum peice for a fuel pump block off plate.
I used a small boring head for a counter sink & installed an aluminum perforated piece held in w/epoxy.

Just as a side note. I finally (after about 2 years ) installed a couple of digital read outs on my old Rusnok mill.
The vertical one was cheap, IIRC, $30 new, the Mitsutoyo for the horizontal I picked up @ the Pomona swap meet $20

They do not provide full travel, but for the small stuff I do on this mill will work just fine.

Vertical

Vertical

Horizontal

Horizontal

MBHD
Nice , little readouts. I have tried using the Igaging on one of my headshops. It was quick to hookup but has a hiccup in reading occasionally. I threw it away and bought a anilam unit.
I like seeing what tools people have and how they adapt them for their use.
I threw it away and bought a anilam unit.

That's baller status right there.
A little overkill for what I do.

MBHD
Here's the 3D Model Hank! What do you think?

I think that looks great!

MBHD
Nice!

I bought some Pontiac "RAM AIR IV" hood decals for my car that I'm going to strategically cut to "RAM AIR VI". It'll mean a lot more when a turbo is bolted up, but I'm going to sport it before then =D Lucky me that Pontiac stopped at "RAM AIR V" with their performance packages.
I'm going to machine these in aluminum for Hank and he is going to use them as fender badges on his Camaro. I had to alter a Z/28 emblem in a 3D model to get the scaling the same.
Here is a brass piece I made to fit in the oil gallery.
It's a little rough but ehh!

I made it so it can have an oil pressure gauge direct to it & read oil pressure while hood is open, then "T" off of it to feed my turbos separate oil filter & another to go to a oil pressure inside the car.

MBHD
Setting up oil return for turbo. tired

Had to machine the -10 billet drain fitting for a little bit better angle for the oil drain.

Finding a spot in the oil pan for oil return fitting.

Fitting installed.

Here I used some chunks of billet for my intercooler mounting. crazy

Hollowed them out for lighter weight. eek

MBHD
You are the bracket buildingest guy I know! That all looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing it all together and watching the videos of your kids driving it. laugh
Seriously, Great work.

It's a very sharp badge - but I don't get it . . .

As I understand it Z28 started out as an RPO code for a 302 CI v-thingie for use in 305 CI limited SCCA events. It was so popular they began to badge cars that had the option.

Similarly Z26 is an RPO code for a late 70s early 80s 'Rally' optioned Nova . . .

Perhaps I am missing some back story here?

regards,
stock49
He wanted me to make it represent the inline 6 powerplant with the "6" in it instead of the "8".
It's just like the Chevy Cavilier sport model, it was a Z/24, it had a 4 cylinder engine.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1993-Chevro...Filter=EXTERIOR

MBHD
You are the bracket buildingest guy I know! That all looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing it all together and watching the videos of your kids driving it. laugh
Seriously, Great work.

Thanks Beater,

my kids are 7&8 so by the time I get this Camaro running, they will be old enough. laugh

MBHD
He wanted me to make it represent the inline 6 powerplant with the "6" in it instead of the "8".

OK . . . I follow that . . . even though the eight in Z/28 has nothing to do with cylinder count . . .
You could not get a Z/28 6 cylinder Camaro, it was only available with an 8 cylinder.

I know that is not what it really means.Z/28 = V-8 car. crazy

Maybe I have a funny way of identifying my car having a 6 cylinder? wink

I thought it is obvious, maybe not?

As far as having a RAM AIR VI emblem, to me to is not as straight forward.
Ponchos had RAM AIR III, IV's etc, so to me that was not as apparent, maybe I look @ things differently. confused

1977 Nova Rally - RPO Z26
Model Availability
•Standard Nova hatchback - 1X17
•Standard Nova coupe - 1X27

Power Train Availability
•250 L6 1V L22
•305 V8 2V LG3
•350 V8 4V LM1

MBHD
Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank

Maybe I have a funny way of identifying my car having a 6 cylinder? wink

I thought it is obvious, maybe not?

It wasn't obvious to me - but I was looking at the RPO numbers to literally . . .

The Z/28 badge did call out a car that was built counter to the 'no replacement for displacement' mentality of that time.

Your tweak to the badge is in the same spirit and will certainly get people to look under the hood . . .
The mid-80's "performance" Cavaliers were decal'd Z-24 with a four cylinder, so I think the 26 is pretty legit.

They never made a Ram Air Six or 6-cylinder for that matter either =P
**Not exactly a nevermind, but the mid-80's ones came with a 6, the mid-90's ones came with a four, so I guess not quite equal. I'm not going to apologize for not exactly knowing that =P
Randal, this would look cool cast into the front of your timing cover where the fins are located or on top of your valve cover.
I'm more of the later Arrowhead type.
I got my SPA Turbo B.O.V. flange welded to a intercooler pipe so I mounted the valve.
Thank you Douglas for the B.O.V.!

Here is the tubing bender tool I borrowed.
It is really nice & has roller wheels built in.

Here is a used one: eek
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swagelok-MS-HTB-...=item4182e41c6a

I also made some upper intercooler mounts w/titanium bolt.

MBHD

External engine mounted oil pressure gauge.
Mounted to brass piece I made.

MBHD
Bent up a oil feed line to turbo oil filter housing.

Turbo water line.

Thermostat housing(aluminum), IIRC 1975 & newer passenger cars.

Lightweight titanium bolt for power steering bracket. whistle

MBHD
I finally got my down pipe & wastegate piping ceramic coated. whistle

Before coating.

I also got an oil catch can.

BTW guys, I need to purchase some -12 (=3/4") flex hose for the catch can, anyone have a suggestion where to buy?
I am just using push on connectors.
Does not need to be stainless braided hose.
Thanks.

MBHD
Found the hose for my catch can breather set-up, just in case anyone else needs this type of hose.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeroquip/023/FCV1210/10002/-1?parentProductId=

MBHD
Hank, Since you are in CA maybe these guys will be useful one day. I'm in Jersey and I use them because they ship fast and offer amateurs like me plenty of help. They are in Lawndale,CA.

http://www.anplumbing.com/
Thanks for the link Drew. cool

MBHD
Nice work Hank.
You obviously have some pretty good skills to carve out those metal parts.

If you get bored, let me know. I can come up with lots of things you could build for my car.

Paul cool
Nice work Hank.
You obviously have some pretty good skills to carve out those metal parts.

If you get bored, let me know. I can come up with lots of things you could build for my car.

Paul cool

Thanks Paul much appreciated.

I am no machinist by any means, but I do like to play with my mill & lathe when I can.

I never get bored, but I also never have enough time to work all the time on my Camaro.

Now, since my boys are a bit older now I do have a lot more free time to work on my Camaro grin

MBHD
I installed the mock-up engine in the Camaro to see if everything is going to clear brackets, mounts etc.

The turbo oil return needs a different fitting, I am going to try & find a banjo fitting, it is tight between the frame & the turbos oil return fitting. Back to the drawing board. whistle

You can see the intercooler is installed, titanium bolts hold the upper tube brackets.

I cut & mocked up my breather can hoses. I ordered the wrong color, I wanted black but ordered blue by mistake. smirk

I made a heater delete plate out of .080" aluminum.

Lots of room w/the rack & pinion steering installed.

I actually got one of my boys to help for a few minutes, hey,, it's a start! grin

Turbo oil return hose hooked up.

Had to modify Toms engine cradle, my 1.75" wastegate pipe would not clear.

Now I will work on it while it is in the car & try to do more work. Then take it out, back & forth a few times.

Now would be a good time to plumb some of the rack & pinion hoses & cooler. Still need to get a hydraboost set-up.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/GM_1stgenF_Body.html

MBHD
Looking Good! Good to see your son out there. He's young. He'll be a big help before you know it and the next thing you know he'll be grown and gone. frown
In 2 weeks he will be old enough to drive, in 2 months he will be 30 years old. That Camaro is really getting close to running. I can't wait til it on the road. Jay 6155
I am still a long ways away. Money, is the biggest obstacle.
I need upper & lower control arms, spindles, discs , calipers, lines etc.

Also need to modify my gas tank for an internal BIG pump., plumb the fuel system.

Interior needs to be gone through, head liner is just hanging down.

The rear end I want to change out. 4:10 gears are not ideal for my combo. Might be good for the 1/8 mile though.

Yet , need to install the 4L85E, get a torque converter, drive shaft made, need a trans cross member . Wheels, tires.
Minor body work.
All big plans, for a man w/a small budget.

I just wish Chip Foose & Chris Jacobs could overhaul my Camaro.
MBHD
WE wish they would also, if that helps any. smile
Originally Posted By: big bill I.I.#4698
WE wish they would also, if that helps any. smile

Thanks Big Bill,
just need you guys to get a hold of Chip Foose & tell him I need an overhaul. cool

MBHD
He wouldn't know what to do with a L6 Let along where to began LOL.
Originally Posted By: Twisted6 I.I #3220
He wouldn't know what to do with a L6 Let along where to began LOL.

That would be fine with me. I can take care of the engine department.

I just need Chip Foose to do his magic to the rest of my 69 Camaro.
I think that is his favorite model Camaro.
Detroit Speed Quadralink mini tub, carbon fiber seats, big brakes, Ford 9" 35 spline gun drilled axles. The list goes on & on. whistle

MBHD

MBHD
I've been reading here for years, never had a reason to post until now, so, here goes. Hank, where did you get that engine cradle? I need one bad for my OHC pontiac. Thanks, Sid
I make engine cradles out of old derilect shopping carts. Nice and portable, cheap, environmentally friendly, easily tailored to any engine.
Yeah, but, that one of Hank's looks to be a work of art. Something I'd like to have since my OHC pontiac will probably sit in one for years before being placed in an actual engine bay. PS, I need parts if anyone has any, I.E. manual flywheel, bell housing, N.O.S. valves,power steering bracket and pulleys, ect, Thanks, Sid
Check out TheSilverBuick on the forum here, he did a cool build for his Firebird and may have some extra goodies laying around.
Here
Yep, I see Randall on the OHV forums all the time. The guy does good work, and, actually finishs stuff, I'm impressed, Dang, I think i just hijacked this thread, all apologies, Hank just tell me where you got the cradle, Thanks Sid
Tom has them, but they only fit the Chevy's. PM sent.

hmmmm, maybe just flip the back motor plate so the starter is on the BOP side, dunno.
Thanks for the compliment. I get things done, but they are usually far from perfect. I have one set of spare NOS valves (in GM boxes), but I "think" they are for '66-'67 4bbl heads. Four different valve stem lengths were used in the run of these engines, 1bbl and 4bbl engines used different length valves (because chamber depth differences) and the 230 and 250 engines used different valves (same reason as above).

I don't have any other real spare parts from there. All I really have is enough parts to build my turbo engine. A 1bbl intake/exhaust and carburetor are the only "extra" parts I really have. I don't have a manual transmission bellhousing, but I do have a manual trans flywheel, but I need it to engine dyno my turbo engine, plus my Firebird has a man pedal, so if I decide to ever go to a manual trans I'll have it on hand.

Also, Pontiac V8's and Olds have the starter on the opposite side as the OHC L6 and Buick's. The L6 starter is lower down than the Buick one due to the L6 being a deep skirt block.

I'm going to go bump my thread. If you have any specific questions about mine as away there smile
Originally Posted By: Duh1

hmmmm, maybe just flip the back motor plate so the starter is on the BOP side, dunno.

The Pontiac OHC block doesn't share any common motor mount location or bolt patterns with the Chevy block, so it would require a total and complete cut up and re-weld of the stand to make it work.
Might be able to just purchase the lower engine cradle parts from Tlowe & make your own front & rear mounting plates?

Trans mount has B.O.P. hole pattern.

MBHD
Yeah, I have engine stand adapters made for them and that's what the bellhousing pattern is.
Yeah, anytime, and, I mean anytime you think something is gonna be eaey, of course it's twice as complicated, especially with the OHC Pontiac. So, I'll quit thread hijacking now and go bang my head against the wall. Thanks
Been trying to make an oil drain adaptor for my Camaro.

Problem when using a standard -10 fitting, it points straight down & the engines cross member is right there.

Example:

So I am trying to figure out the angles needed to clear the frame & point in the right direction to the oil pan fitting.

I will probably make another one because I do not think I got the angles correct.
Practice makes perfect?

MBHD
I tried the adaptor, & like I thought, the angle was not good.

Made a new adaptor today. I actually timed myself how long it took. 3.5 hrs, glad I like doing this sort of stuff. crazy

My mill is small & I can't take big cuts. I could use some new end mills. Aluminum piece was a billet chunk 6061 T6

Here is the last one I made w/incorrect angle.
It points towards the rack & pinion steering shaft.

Will post some pics of the better fitting adaptor tomorrow.

I bought some used wheels. Should be able to use them on my Camaro & Syclone w/the correct adaptors.

Going to get them powder coated @ some point.

MBHD
More good work Hank. It's the little things. cool
Thank you Beater.

I need to take off the new adaptor I made to post some pics of it.

For sure, the little things take some time to fab up.

Got some honey do items to do before I work in the garage again. mad

MBHD
The shoulder must be feeling better? Is it letting you function?
It was getting better & better ,except for the last 2 weeks.
Getting more & more pain, hard to sleep. crazy

Saw the surgeon & he wants to do another MRI to see why I am not getting better. I did an X-ray & he said the work he did looks great.

I have been on modified duty @ work.
Any over head work or above my shoulder type of work really bothers me.

Thanks for asking.

MBHD

Finally got the angles correct for the turbo oil return adaptor.

Not me best work but I rushed it. blush

MBHD
My best doesn't look that good.
My best doesn't look that good.

Your too funny.

Thanks

MBHD
Looks good Hank!
Especially for a one armed machinist.
Here I alodyned my turbo oil drain adaptor.

Not too much progress lately.

MBHD
I got a different hood & cut a hole & added a vent for better cooling of the engine bay.

My old hood with Trans Am shaker.

I like the Cowl hood better, but that is just me. It is also lighter.

MBHD
Is it a fiberglass unit? Looks nice. What are those louvers from?
Yes, it is fiberglass. Thanks.

Louver is from a Z-24, damm heavy pot metal! mad

Need to make it out of carbon fiber. Another project. sick

MBHD
I like the look of the cowl better too, but the vents don't look too bad. Its amazing how much hot air exhausts out the open scoop on my Firebird. In fact, I'm 90% sure it's why my air intake temperatures are high on the car because the air is being pulled up by the area of low pressure on the top of the hood, not to mention the extra push of high pressure under the hood.
Worked a little on my coil over conversion today.

MBHD
Here is my tiny intercooler.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/itsjustasix/IMG_9260_zps09l7iqlb.jpg

It seems all my old pics are no longer able to see. mad

Coil over mounts installed.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/itsjustasix/IMG_9252_zpsmlzss2pw.jpg

MBHD
Little tiny intercooler there. Think it's big enough?

:P
It was hard to judge how big it was with just this pic.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/i...ff/Img_2746.jpg

Are these links working?

MBHD
The links are all working.

That said IT'S HUGE! How big of a snail are you putting in there?!?!

Will this affect your cooling system?
I will be starting off with a turbo I originally bought for my Syclone, but I decided to use the stock style turbo for the truck.

So, I will use that one on my Camaro initially, it's a 62-1 T3/T4 Hybrid Turbonetics turbo.

I will later install a larger one. Something like a GT42 Garrett.

Don't know if the intercooler will affect the cooling system yet.
It is actually larger than the stock engine radiator.

I am going to use a better engine radiator, so hope it all works out.

MBHD
Any new updates Hank, this seemed to be off to a good start for so long?
Thanks for asking!
Sorry to say no real updates . Life's been getting in the way and low finances with no pay increase at my job for 7 years now. Bad resession still?
Currently I had a bone spur removed from my heel of my foot so hard to get around. I plan on mini tubbing it soon, it will be my first time. A bit nervious! My car still needs a lot of work and parts also, not having the funds to purchase the parts It gets a bit depressing.
How's your foundry doing?
MBHD
Its much easier to let a full size foundry cast the bigger things. I just got my 3rd new intake design from the 2016 year finally cast. Its a true EFI intake also designed and intended for turbo use, it reminds me of your intake. So i'm starting off 2017 with a larger list of things i've already designed to get cast and into the hands of inline enthusiasts.
Hank sorry to hear of the health issues and money woes. Wouldn't it be fun to hit one of those big lotteries and never worry about hot rod money again? It's looking like I'll spend the next warm season working on my dozer, bobcat, and tractor. Time left over will be using them on our road. This winter in kicking my old butt! laugh
Thanks Beater. Yeah winning the lottery would be just right ! Good luck on your Bobcat and try and stay warm.

MBHD
Lottery winning would be fun, but I'll never win it, never bought a ticket.
Keep plugging away on it. Why not just get it running and driving? Just throw a cheap paint job on it. They are much more fun when they are driven.
X2 about more fun being driven!
It would be fun to drive around but I've already done that and was slower than most of those V-8 thingys, and to me that was not fun.

I would like for it to be the car I always wanted it to be, pro touring style.

My fun car for me is my Syclone that is my pacifier for now.

The paint job is the least of my concerns, it's never had a paint job since I have owned it and that is 1983 lol
I'm a big fan of driving the project for motivation. 4.56 gears make it fun to drive around laugh even if it is still slow. My Firebird feels like a rocket ship, even though the 0-60 time is still a pokey 11-12 seconds.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board