Inliners International
Posted By: GH New type rear main seal??? - 01/24/12 03:49 PM
Where is a good source for a new type rear main seal for a GMC 302? Also what size of a drain hose are you guys using on your turbos?
Posted By: Turbo-6 Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/24/12 04:09 PM
Gary, 1/2" on small turbos, 5/8" most common most turbos, 1" very large turbos, I use a 5/8 hose, most important is a straight drop with as little turns as possible.

Harry
Posted By: GH Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/24/12 09:48 PM
Thanks, Harry, I've been using a 1" ID rubber hose and I think I am loosing oil pressure with such a large hose. My Turbo is a Rotomaster HX35. Do you think that is possible?
Posted By: panic Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/24/12 10:10 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I bother.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/24/12 11:04 PM
I know one guy who used a MOPAR rear main seal on his 302. I was never quite clear on how it was done but know it took some machine work.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/25/12 04:15 AM
You can check with Rich Fox, he has done that mod with the rear main seal before.
Posted By: Turbo-6 Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/25/12 12:43 PM
Gary, Drain has nothing to do with oil pressure, if smoke is coming from exhaust may have a bearing problem otherwise loss is from something else.

Harry
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/25/12 03:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: panic
Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Ahhh, your not much of a "bother" at all..... \:D
Posted By: jimmy six #35 Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/26/12 02:46 PM
Gary I have always used the "rope" seal and never had a problem. I always tried to find old NOS ones so it will still have asbestos in it's construction. Pontiacs and some early Fords worked fine. With a vacuum pump all is forgiven. As for the Dodge it's for a 360 and slightly too big. You also need to polish out the cross hatches on the stock crank for the correct seal making the rope useless.

I believe one of our oldest members Walter Smith #23 uses this on his GMC Modfied in Conneticut. I would cut one short on one side only and leave the second side stock so the split of the seal was not the split of the cap to the block. I do this also with the rope and it's tricky to do...Hey but what do I have but time...........JD
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/26/12 04:17 PM
I like the ones from Best Gasket. They come with template to help cutting to length and it fills the grove. They also make the best side and valve cover gaskets I have used. I got mine from Patricks.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/28/12 03:58 AM
I've heard the best gaskets ones are a graphite fiber coated with Teflon.

Izat so?
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: New type rear main seal??? - 01/28/12 02:33 PM
Here is a LINK to their web site.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board