Inliners International
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Turbo U pipe - 04/22/12 10:22 PM
Found this today. It was on a 292 mounted in a New Idea UNI Harvester. This machine was made in 1967. They almost all had 292's.
It has a u shaped cast iron pipe. It mounts to the truck type 3 bolt exhaust manifold. Might be a easy sturdy way to hook to a turbo.
This engine also used a standard cast intake manifold with a adaptor and a side draft carb that pointed forward.

So if interested, go hit your oldtime Agricultural junk yards. Tom
Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank Re: Turbo U pipe - 04/23/12 01:36 AM
Interesting.

What happened to the intake manifold where the carb mounts?

MBHD
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Turbo U pipe - 04/23/12 07:21 PM
The manifold looks to have rotted from the heat exchange area. The carb and intake adaptor are fine.
These AG applications could run extreme exhaust temps.Probably why the pipe is cast iron.
Posted By: preacher-no choir Re: Turbo U pipe - 05/23/12 02:42 PM
Just saw this one, maybe thats where my 292 came from, I think a harvester is what they call in Texas, a combine. But I have never seen a tractor junkyard anywhere in Texas, none, even in Lott, Marlin, Rosebud, or Cameron,or even Thrall (Thrall had a '57 Cameo Carrier bed for $200 that I almost bought back in early seventies-did buy a '39 pickup tranny tho). It would be neat to find one.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board