Inliners International
Posted By: Whitedog Another vortec 4200 - 04/12/15 02:36 PM
Well, I finally got her between the fram rails.

Fitting pretty nice. A little tight in spots. For a guy that likes big girls anyway, I don't mind.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/whited...341245367222896
Posted By: Chevelle292Wagon Re: Another vortec 4200 - 04/12/15 06:15 PM
Whitedog,
Is that still the original 4200 oil pan?
Posted By: Whitedog Re: Another vortec 4200 - 04/13/15 12:42 AM
Yes, that's the OE pan.

The front lip of the pan is sitting on the crossmember. It's actually pretty close to where it needs to be.

I'm going to have to notch the crossmember and move the engine forward about 1/2- 3/4".

I slid the rear axle under the truck and jacked it up without the shackles. A 3" notch out of the back part of the pan will give me more than enough clearance, even if the axle gets into the bumpstops.

I'll lose about 2.5 - 3 quarts capacity. So, rather than having a rear sump made, I'm think that squaring off the front is the way to go. The pickup tube could basically go straight down then.

Anyway, lots more work ahead.

Chris

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/whitedog76/media/0412151150_zpsvckmdjkk.jpg.html?sort=6&o=40

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/whited...314814420058795
Posted By: Chevelle292Wagon Re: Another vortec 4200 - 04/14/15 08:19 PM
[quote=Whitedog]Yes, that's the OE pan.

The front lip of the pan is sitting on the crossmember. It's actually pretty close to where it needs to be.

I'm going to have to notch the crossmember and move the engine forward about 1/2- 3/4".

I slid the rear axle under the truck and jacked it up without the shackles. A 3" notch out of the back part of the pan will give me more than enough clearance, even if the axle gets into the bumpstops.

I'll lose about 2.5 - 3 quarts capacity. So, rather than having a rear sump made, I'm think that squaring off the front is the way to go. The pickup tube could basically go straight down then.

Anyway, lots more work ahead.
------------------------------------------------------------

Chris,
Ok
Thought maybe it was going in something that didn't require a new pan or a modified pan.
Thanks

Posted By: Whitedog Re: Another vortec 4200 - 04/15/15 12:40 AM
This is a totally new project for me.

I've learned alot about what's needed for this swap, just by setting the engine down it the frame.

To be honest, I think the 3.5/3.7 Colorado/Canyon swap would be a must easier task.

Heck, it would almost be a direct bolt in.

If I ever do something like this again, I think that's the route I'd go.

I have the 4200 already, so that's what I'm sticking with.
Posted By: efi-diy Re: Another vortec 4200 - 04/15/15 11:59 PM
Just a note the redesigned 4200 rear sump pan is 2 steps away from getting production castings made. More details on vortec4200.com.

I'll have the 1st "at size" casting next week to test fit.

1 more step for the pattern and then the taps open for production.

Marc
Posted By: Whitedog Re: Another vortec 4200 - 04/20/15 01:07 AM
Marc, I've actually been watching your posts on the Vortec4200 site.

I've been talking about my project for quite some time. It hasn't been until that old 235 got lifted out of the framerails, that I've actually got around to doing much other than accumulating parts.

Now that I have the engine sitting/wedged in the framerails, the scope of the project is starting to get overwhelming.

I finished up fabbing the drivers side motor mount last week. I ordered a trans crossmember from the local speed shop, so I'll be able to square everything up and finishing fabbing the passenger side this week.

Of course, there's another million things to do after that.

I'm definately going to keep your oil pan in mind. I still haven't completely talked myself into the front sump idea yet anyway. Once I get the front axle back where it belongs for good, I'll decide where to go from there.

Chris
© Inliners International Bulletin Board