Inliners International
Posted By: tom c trans for our '41 Pontiac - 06/01/22 05:44 PM
I posted before that I had a '68 Chevy 250 six for our '41 Pontiac sedan. I have now found a heck-of-a deal in a new reman 200-4R trans for it. I've been given a complete, good rearend from a '49 Olds, not sure of the gear ratio though. I might still go with a late model Chevy truck rear (73-84?) model.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: trans for our '41 Pontiac - 06/01/22 09:08 PM
Sounding like a Nice Build that you have in mind.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: trans for our '41 Pontiac - 06/02/22 02:23 AM
The 200 is a good trans for ratios. The truck rear will be huge. Try finding a rear from a S10, it will be more the size you need.
Posted By: tom c Re: trans for our '41 Pontiac - 06/04/22 02:28 AM
Actually the truck rear measures the same width as the Pontiac, and has the same wheel bolt pattern so I can reuse the original 16" wheels, trim rings, and hub caps. The steering is nice and tight so the front brakes and steering will be reused for now. I will remove the spring brackets from the truck housing and fab new ones to fit the Pontiac springs.
Posted By: tom c Re: trans for our '41 Pontiac - 12/17/22 10:50 PM
I just today learned something about the Pontiac that I didn't know. The time came to remove the LH front wheel. After breaking off two studs I realized that they are LH thread. That's ok I will replace all five studs with RH studs to match the new rear.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: trans for our '41 Pontiac - 12/18/22 03:43 AM
If you spend a whole day without learning something you didn't do much.
laugh
Posted By: stock49 Re: trans for our '41 Pontiac - 12/19/22 04:07 PM
And perhaps even more interesting is the design decision to equip the left hand side of the vehicle with left hand threads - and the right hand side with right hand threads . . . AACA-thread
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: trans for our '41 Pontiac - 12/19/22 04:43 PM
I'm betting it was like the MOPARS with left hand threads on the right side and someone switched the front drums. There is usually an L stamped somewhere.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board