Inliners International
Posted By: Ducky '49 Chey car steering box - 01/25/04 02:39 PM
Anybody ever pulled one of these and re-build it? Mine has a lot of play on the output arm shaft - about 15-20 degrees of play in the steering wheel and you can see the shaft move back and forth. Looks like the bushing is worn.

I've got the '49 shop manual with directions for removing it, just wondering if anyone's done it and has some suggestions as to removal and re-building.
Posted By: jimfred Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 01/25/04 03:22 PM
I did my 41. It was a bear to get in and out of car without a lift. The rebuilding itself was straightforward. I used a wheel cylinder hone to 'ream' the new pitman shaft bushings.

Jim
Posted By: gearhead Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 01/25/04 07:36 PM
I helped a friend rebuild his '52 box, just follow the directions in the manual. If the sector shaft is worn, and it likely is, then just replacing the bushings will be of little help. My friend had someone make some tighter fitting bushings to take up the difference, as finding a NOS sector shaft was nearly impossible. We couldn't find any repro sector shafts.
Posted By: stock49 Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 01/28/04 09:34 PM
I could have sworn that I saw repro & NOS steering parts over at obolete chevy.

I just checked again: http://www.obschevy.com/catalogs.htm

They are showing a 'steering box pitman shaft' for 95 bucks and some sort of steering box rebuild service for 285 . . .

stock49
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 01/28/04 09:40 PM
Dear Ducky;

I would try Desert Valey Auto Parts in beautifull downtown Phoenix, Az., for a good used one.

1 800 905-8024.

Good luck, John M., #3370

------------------
Posted By: Snegrah Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 01/29/04 02:06 AM
Hello! I've tried posting before but it never posted. So, here we go again. Anyone know of a way to install late power steering box/column to the 49 - 54 Chevy suspension? Mine has dropped spindles and disc brakes. I do not to go the Mustang route. Everyone I spoken to so far (many years) says no way.
There's gotta be a creative soul out there who has done or figured a way...gotta be!

Thanks,

Tom
Posted By: HiTork Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 01/29/04 02:50 AM
Once again, for all these kinds of mods call Buffalo (see his banner running on the home page). He set me up with a kit to adapt a modern GM box to my stock 47 passenger front end. It's sweet and was really easy to install. Others have attempted to go the power steering route with the stock set up and it's a royal pain.
Posted By: gearhead Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 01/31/04 06:51 PM
FYI,
They changed the ratio in '51, these boxes can be identified by a large "X" cast into the top of the box. While your at it, get the brakes and a powerglide rearend too.
Posted By: Ducky Re: '49 Chey car steering box - 02/01/04 01:46 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead:
FYI,
They changed the ratio in '51, these boxes can be identified by a large "X" cast into the top of the box. While your at it, get the brakes and a powerglide rearend too.

Yep, I know about the ratio, I like the quicker one in the '49; brakes already have been changed and I've got a handle on a Powerglide rear (if I don't go open driveline first)

[This message has been edited by Ducky (edited 02-01-2004).]
© Inliners International Bulletin Board