Inliners International
Posted By: Big Paulie Glide replacement - 09/15/04 04:56 PM
I am looking at a $1500 bill to rebuild the 'Glide in my 56 210.

What would you do with $1500? Can I put a 2004R or 700R4 in it for that kind of dough? Or should I just rebuild the stock tranny?

HELP!!!
Posted By: Dennis Re: Glide replacement - 09/15/04 09:51 PM
Paulie, You'd be VERY happy with a Turbo-200-4R, or T-700-R4 in your car. It'll require some shift cable fabrication, trans mount modification and a drivshaft re-do, but the results will be phenominal. I believe Patrick's and Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Company has the adapters required. I haven't personally done this conversion, but a friend put a T-200-4R behind a '67 250 Chevy engine, in a pickup, with great results. The difference in acceleration and lowered RPM at highway speeds made it well worth while. His fuel mileage made a big improvement... like from about 15 to around 19 mpg, on the highway. His total cost was less than $550, including buying the T-200-4R from a low mileage wrecked Monte Carlo, and re-doing the driveshaft. The biggest problem he had was to get the TV cable operating correctly, so the shift points were correct. If your engine is the original 235, you'll have to have the proper adapter, but after that, you'll be happy with the set-up!
Posted By: novaconv Re: Glide replacement - 09/16/04 07:21 PM
look at bowtie overdrive also.
Posted By: Big Paulie Re: Glide replacement - 09/17/04 12:57 PM
Bow Tie Overdrives low end 2004R is $866.

Langdon's adapter is $350.

Driveshaft costs, what, $350?

My mechanic says R&R of a transmission on my 56 would be four to five hours including crossmember re-location. What is unknown is how much other custom fabrication would be required to make the shifter and kickdown work properly. Thats where this swap becomes expensive.

If I found a good working 2004R used then the price would be less.

Anyone done this on a 235?
Posted By: Joe Dial I.I.#1679 Re: Glide replacement - 09/18/04 11:00 PM
Driveshaft would only have to be shortened. Should be less than $100.
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: Glide replacement - 09/19/04 10:57 AM
Dear Pauline;

You will need a yoke too. Get that when you buy the transmission & Joe's right the driveshaft mod is the easy thing.

Good luck, John M.........
Posted By: Bruce Re: Glide replacement - 09/20/04 01:47 PM
If you want an easy swap, go for a TH350. No frame mods and you can usually pick up a decent rebuilt unit for far less than an OD transmission. Get the adapter and a new transmission/driveline yoke, plumb a cooler and adapt your column shifter then go...
Posted By: Big Paulie Re: Glide replacement - 09/21/04 06:54 PM
Paulie, not Pauline.

Unless of course you're just being funny.

In fact, you can call me anything. Just don't call me late for dinner.
Posted By: CHEVYTOWN6 Re: Glide replacement - 09/24/04 10:51 PM
Put a 2004R and be done with it bro.

Like D said, just make sure you dial in the TV cable correctly or your trans is toast soon.

Will have to modify/fabricate a bracket to hold it too.

CT
© Inliners International Bulletin Board