Inliners International
Posted By: oldblu65 T5 tranny question ? - 03/13/06 06:30 AM
I've been told a S10 T5 tranny will bolt up with no mods other than an appropriate clutch disc, but , I've also heard the input shaft is a little long ( 1/8 inch ) and has to be shortened or an adapter used to correct this . Which is correct ? Also , I have a 3.73 rear end and wonder how well this OD tranny ( an '85 - 87 )will work with that ratio in the rearend ? This truck is going to be a " cruiser , not a bruiser " and I want the tranny for not only better fuel mileage , but , also to allow the engine to not have to run so hard on the road at cruising speed .
Posted By: gearhead Re: T5 tranny question ? - 03/13/06 12:12 PM
What are you putting the tranny into?
Posted By: oldblu65 Re: T5 tranny question ? - 03/13/06 08:48 PM
The truck is a '65 C10 , was formally a 230 .I'm reusing the flywheel and bellhousing. A '67 283 is going in it's place and I may be " stoned " here for that action .Sorry , guys !
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: T5 tranny question ? - 03/14/06 03:46 PM
A 292" would be a much better choice.

They out worked all the (commercial) V-8s in the 60s. In town or on the road.
Posted By: HiTork Re: T5 tranny question ? - 03/14/06 04:18 PM
What counts here is the bellhousing fit. Just follow and read all the tech tips on this site and over at inliners.org for more tips. You'll want the input of the T-5 to replicate the trans you are pulling out. That rear end ratio should be perfect.
Best of luck
Posted By: GMDad Re: T5 tranny question ? - 03/15/06 01:23 AM
The 3.73 rearend with that trans and a 292 are a perfect match. The ol 283 won't be able to pull that kinda gear...lol....I put it in mine and it works excellent. Actually using the second one now as the oil leak that I thought wasn't too serious, well, it was. Tore the front bearing right out of it due to my stupidity. And it was from a S-10 with a 4 cyl...I even pulled my race car and trailer with that unit. You will really like it.
Posted By: carolines truck Re: T5 tranny question ? - 05/19/06 03:56 PM
Because my 3100 isn't done and actual running counts BIG TIME round here ......

Has anybody run a 4 barrell'd 292 w/ a T5 and 3:40 rear ????

what is your running speed in 4th and 5th ???

what is your RPM ????

how's it pull ????
© Inliners International Bulletin Board