Inliners International
Posted By: k5carrillo My 65 Belair 3 speed - 04/18/08 08:53 PM
So I bought the Belair because it was sooooo straight and the price was sooooo low. The 230 runs pretty well and the 3 speed seems OK too.

I would love to add an R10/R11 overdrive, as I would prefer that to doing a floor conversion. Besides combing swap meets and ebay or craigslist, is there a source for these units anymore?

Are there any strong/significant reasons why I should NOT pursue the old overdrive?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
You can run a Saginaw 3 spd & install an OD unit to it form a four spd Saganaw IIRC.

MBHD
Or maybe the OD came from a 3 speed Saganaw & you can install that onto the Saganaw 4 speed.

MBHD
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: My 65 Belair 3 speed - 04/21/08 12:31 PM
The ODs came on 3 speed Saginaws and can be put on 4 speed Saginaws but that won't work on a column shift. The three speed Saginaws are pretty hard to find, at least I have a hard time. The 3 speed OD used before the Saginaw in the late '50s and early ''60s I think seem to be plentiful. The hardest part to find is the solenoid. They were often discarded when the fusible link inside failed by folks not knowing it could be repaired.
Posted By: Brad Re: My 65 Belair 3 speed - 04/22/08 12:32 PM
I have one but want $$$ for it. I'm in Portland too. I'll PM you.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board