Inliners International
Posted By: Brad H front suspension - 09/27/12 04:05 PM
I am contemplating putting a Flat Out Engineering Corvette suspension adapter kit in my 49 chevy 1/2 ton PU. Has anyone else done this? If so what problems were encountered? I know there is cutting and welding on the frame but how does it work/fit with the 261 Chevy 6. What about brackets for the power steering pump. Anything else I missed?
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: front suspension - 09/28/12 08:35 AM
You can get a bolt in MII unit a lot cheaper and that should give you a smoother ride than the stock I-beam but only problems i can forsee is a brake problem with 11" discs on the front with those huge calipers will require a booster that'll blow your back cylinders apart without a serious bias valve, pump bracket should be easy enough. Now if you swap the rear supension and tansaxle in too??
Posted By: 50 GMC Re: front suspension - 09/29/12 01:33 AM
Also, have a look at a Jim Meyer Racing front suspension - a very nice setup for the $$$ with lots of adjustability in ride height and stiffness / performance / ride.
Posted By: Gabbyp #865 Re: front suspension - 09/29/12 10:20 AM
No Limit Engineering has a special for 47-54 Chevrolet trucks and cars. Can be had with coil over or air bags. Claims to fit 6 cylinders. Received mine but have not yet installed.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=535478
Posted By: Brad H Re: front suspension - 10/05/12 08:42 PM
Lots of good ideas, but has anybody actually bought and installed one of these front ends themselves? Or any other? Or a clip or??? Work, problems, welding, cutting, or what? I need your help in making a decision and the work involved. I won,t hold against you? I promise!!!
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: front suspension - 10/06/12 09:40 AM
I installed a Fatman MII front suspension in my 45 and I'm very pleased, just measure everything at least twice before welding, my nephew installed a Jim Meyer unit with equally good results.So you'll probably find whattever setup is installed in their car the owner will claim it's the best! \:\) comes down to personal preference and affordability. \:D
Posted By: heinz51 Re: front suspension - 11/01/12 11:10 PM
Got a speedway MII with dropped spindles and air bags for my 51 convert easy install 11 in. disc's clear my 15'' stock wheels.
Posted By: Harry 6674 II 5760 Re: front suspension - 11/02/12 12:11 PM
Plymouth Volare front suspensions work real well in 50s ford pickups. The torsion bars give some adjustability. Cheap.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board