Inliners International
Posted By: badsix GM BELL HOUSING - 03/10/13 10:57 PM
need some info did GM some were in the 40s to say 54 have a bell housing that had the clutch and brake pedals mounted to it. i'm starting an econo project 31 chevy pickup its getting a 270 gmc just because I have one, i'm also using a t5 5 speed. anyway I thought that GM put the pedals on the bell housing at one time if they will bolt to my 270 and take the s10 trans that would be great
Posted By: badsix Re: GM BELL HOUSING - 03/11/13 11:40 PM
44 hits and not one reply must be my breath !
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: GM BELL HOUSING - 03/12/13 12:20 AM
I've read this a couple time and i guess i am just confused are you saying they actually mouted the pedals somehow to the bellhousing?
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: GM BELL HOUSING - 03/12/13 02:58 AM
I've seen them with the foot starter assembly bolted to the bellhousing, maybe thats what your thinking about.
Posted By: badsix Re: GM BELL HOUSING - 03/12/13 10:21 AM
well mabe I don't know what i'm talking about but I thought some late mod. 40s pickups had them mounted on a shaft on the side of the bell housing like the 31 has. thanks for the reply's
Posted By: Titen Re: GM BELL HOUSING - 03/12/13 12:20 PM
'41 to'47 first series trucks had the pedal mounts bolted to the bellhousing, but the bellhousings are not the best choice to use. For my '42 Suburban with a 261" the pedal assy was used with a fabricated bracket that mounted to a later bellhousing, using the bellhousing and trans mounting bolts. I don't recall just now, but I think earlier the mounts were integral with the bellhousing. The brake and clutch pivot points will probably need a new brass/oilite bushing fitted.

Tim
Posted By: badsix Re: GM BELL HOUSING - 03/13/13 10:12 AM
thanks tim I was thinking that I could just bolt some older parts together and be done. oh well building mounts won't be so bad maybe I can use my 31 pedals and shaft
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: GM BELL HOUSING - 03/13/13 02:30 PM
I am trying to figure this same thing out on my '26 roadster. I have '28 and '29 bell housings that have pedals on them. They are probably the same as your '31. I haven't really looked closely yet but I'd like to mount the old pedals on a bell housing that will bolt to my 153 and Saginaw 4 speed.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board