Inliners International
Posted By: 70Nova It runs. - 08/15/15 07:27 PM
Still need to adjust timing and carb and finish up a ton of stuff, but it runs.

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/bugfuel/media/Cars/Nova/WP_20150815_006.mp4.html
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: It runs. - 08/16/15 12:04 AM
Sounds good. I have a trailer hitch on mine also. Very handy to haul stuff on a trailer.

Your 1 step closer to driving it.
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: It runs. - 08/16/15 01:01 AM
Great job! Sounds good! Git her going and do a burnout! lol
Posted By: mshaw230 Re: It runs. - 08/16/15 09:36 PM
Looks and sounds great! I've not seen a 2-piece valve cover before. Where did you get that?

Mark
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 08/16/15 09:40 PM
I just cut the top off a (new) crappy chrome cover, so I could adjust the valves while its running without making a mess.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 08/17/15 12:38 PM
Re: trailer hitch: someone welded it on, I plan on cutting it off.... maybe neighbor can help with his plasma cutter smile Haven't tried yet because its so close to the gas tank.
Posted By: gbauer Re: It runs. - 08/17/15 09:04 PM
Why does it look like the intake rocker on the #2 cylinder isn't rocking?

...or is it just me?
Posted By: gbauer Re: It runs. - 08/17/15 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: 70Nova
Re: trailer hitch: someone welded it on, I plan on cutting it off.... maybe neighbor can help with his plasma cutter smile Haven't tried yet because its so close to the gas tank.

Grinder then. Just a tad safer than a torch by the gas tank....
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 08/17/15 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: gbauer
Why does it look like the intake rocker on the #2 cylinder isn't rocking?

...or is it just me?

For some reason the movement looks much smaller on the video than in real life, like the admittedly cheap smart phone video skips frames to compress the file size. Something like that smile
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: It runs. - 08/18/15 06:52 PM
I had that happen....with my own stinkin eyes. haha. Get at the right angle and you'd think some were moving and some not! The lighting had a lot to do with it as well.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 08/31/15 02:48 PM
Drove it on the road for the first time Sunday, maybe 100 yards :P Nothing dialed in yet, base timing a very conservative 6 degrees advanced, only had the idle mixture adjusted so far. Makes very little power, just like before, but sounds better, haha!
Now need to sort out some wiring issues and get it ready for inspection. I'll play with timing and carb some more when I have more time. I have an O2 sensor in the exhaust to monitor mixture, but first I need to replace the leaking gasket between intake and exhaust.
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: It runs. - 08/31/15 06:40 PM
Fix the vacuum leaks....richen that carb up...advance the timing to 10 degrees and take her out and Floor it. lol. That's what I did after I would tune up.
Posted By: intergrated j 78 Re: It runs. - 08/31/15 08:26 PM
What kind of o2 sensor are you running? A wideband or are you using a narrow band and a volt meter? Congrats on driving it!!!!!! Even if only 100 yards. Jay 6155
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 08/31/15 11:03 PM
I set the fuel level in the carb about to where it should be for a stock motor, it ran rich WITHOUT the PCV hose, and leaned out with the PCV hooked up to where I turned the idle mixture screw out maybe 2 turns to get good idle. The rest is a mystery still. Using a regular heated narrow band O2 sensor and a voltmeter for now. Haven't wired it in yet. Needs heater wires connected. Lots of little loose ends to fix and go from "temporary" to permanent. Like mount the battery in the trunk. I fixed the battery tray corner rust, but did not fabricate a new battery tray there, I want it in the trunk instead. Forgot to look for boxes today, darnit. I have some heavy gauge cable that I can try.

Didn't accomplish anything today, worked late and came home and ended up talking with the neighbor in his garage, he's a british car nut.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 09/07/15 12:04 AM
Drove it for a few miles. No real issues, but no real power either laugh I'm sure the engine needs more fuel and timing but this showed me the basics are there. Likely taking it to work tomorrow for inspection and two tires to replace dryrotted rears. Then I can drive and tweak it on the road as much as I want.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 09/07/15 10:18 PM
Took it to work for inspection, did not find anything horribly wrong, I put two tires on it and new headlights, wiper blades. Had to put a rejection sticker on it because of a large crack on the windshield, no surprise. I'm happy for the surprises that did NOT present themselves.

After the 60 mile round trip it seems to run 5-10F cooler and have a little bit more power. I guess it's breaking in and loosening up a bit. Runs too rich and stumbles a little. Black plugs and tail pipe.

I guess I'm done with the engine for the time being, and I need to switch focus on the windshield and the top of the dash that has to be replaced due to rust. There is nothing supporting the bottom of the windshield laugh

Probably will not get much done anytime soon. At least I know the engine runs half decent, even if it doesn't make much power as is.
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: It runs. - 09/07/15 11:21 PM
Maybe bump the timing up and run a hotter plug. I had to run a 65K coil and NGK BPR5ES plugs with a .045 gap to get a really nice clean burn with my stock 292. Timing set a 10 initial. Pulled like a mad dog.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: It runs. - 09/07/15 11:44 PM
Timing is at around 10deg, maxes out at 36-37 without vacuum.
Its too rich, but not sure if its throughout the rpm range.

At idle, the mixture screw is about 2 turns out, for the sweet spot. Thinking I need to adjust the metering rod thingamabob.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life messing with this carb, it's not staying. Only using it to verify all other parts of the engine are working ok.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board