Inliners International
Posted By: Dagobah My Lumpy Head - 08/20/15 10:08 AM
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but thought I'd post some pics of my head. This is for a 292 out of my grandpa's c10. I just got the lumps done and am ready to make some power!

[img]http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/dagobah86/media/292/P1010785.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/img] [img]http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/dagobah86/media/292/P1010782.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3[/img]
[img]http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/dagobah86/media/292/P1010783.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2[/img]
http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/dagobah86/media/292/P1010784.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/20/15 12:58 PM
Lynchburg huh, I'm in Front Royal smile I only have a tiny 230 but I put lumps and cam in it, just got it running. No real experience yet on how well it runs, its blocked in by a non-running car... lol. Would love to take a test drive. Did not expect theother car to be down so long, got wrong parts for it.
Posted By: gbauer Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/20/15 01:31 PM
Looks lumpy.

Are you going to grind down the set screws? Did you do it yourself? Lumps are on my short to-do list.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/20/15 05:01 PM
Looks good! Be sure to clean out the bottom of port so the lump sits down. The hold down screws get cut with a electricians screw cutter. It is part of a wire stripper. Just mark the height, take out and cut, then reinsert.
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/20/15 06:54 PM
Looks lumpy to me to! lol Have those in my 292's head.
Posted By: Juicetone Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/20/15 07:18 PM
When you guys say it looks lumpy, is that a bad thing or good that the lumps are in there? I just can't see the pics at work. Thanks.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/20/15 10:04 PM
You can also use a dermal with a cut off wheel in it and Not have to unbolt it and will be flush with the lump.
Posted By: Dagobah Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/21/15 03:07 AM
Thanks for the responses y'all. I guess you can see the pics, but I wonder if there is some tinkering i can do with the code to get the pics to display?

So, are you guys saying they need some more work before the go on the enjun?
Posted By: Dagobah Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/21/15 09:50 AM
wait, tlowe! that's gotta be Tom Lowe right? You did the head work.
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/21/15 11:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Juicetone
When you guys say it looks lumpy, is that a bad thing or good that the lumps are in there? I just can't see the pics at work. Thanks.

Lump ports take the place of the head bolt boss. Its a Very good thing to have those in there. lol
Posted By: Juicetone Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/21/15 02:02 PM
Well I knew the lump design was an improvement over the original siamese port design. I just didn't know if you guys were poking fun by saying it looked "lumpy" or the lump sould have been installed better. No offense to the OP.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/21/15 02:08 PM
yes they should be seated a little better. Small gaps are not critical. No need to fill with epoxy or anything. But they should sit pretty flat at the bottom of the port, and each of them the same. Too late now however, because the retaining bolt holes are already done, they would go out of alignment if you changed the positioning of the lumps now.
Posted By: Juicetone Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/24/15 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: 70Nova
yes they should be seated a little better. Small gaps are not critical. No need to fill with epoxy or anything. But they should sit pretty flat at the bottom of the port, and each of them the same. Too late now however, because the retaining bolt holes are already done, they would go out of alignment if you changed the positioning of the lumps now.

When you say it's too late because of the alignment, is there anything else he can do to rectify the situation?
Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/24/15 12:24 PM
At this point, maybe some gas proof epoxy under the lumps and then see what the port volumes are, remove material to even them out? That might be a waste of time on a mild build though.
Posted By: gbauer Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/24/15 12:59 PM
Lynchburg huh, I'm in Front Royal smile I only have a tiny 230 but I put lumps and cam in it, just got it running. No real experience yet on how well it runs, its blocked in by a non-running car... lol. Would love to take a test drive. Did not expect theother car to be down so long, got wrong parts for it.

Front Royal, huh, I'm in Fredneck!

We should all just meet up in the middle one weekend. Might I suggest Skyline Drive? I'd like to take the kids down the top half some day soon. Give it a couple weeks until it cools off a bit and he gets his lumpy head screwed on right.

Great place for some great picture opportunities!

Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/24/15 01:22 PM
I'd like to have the $%^@# Nova running for the meet laugh I live maybe 10 minutes from Skyline Drive. I'm getting close to driving it but I have another car blocking it in that I need running first, before I can test drive the Nova. Then I need to have it inspected too. Shouldn't be TOO hard, since I'm a state inspector too.... lol
Posted By: gbauer Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/24/15 01:37 PM
I'd like to have the $%^@# Nova running for the meet laugh I live maybe 10 minutes from Skyline Drive. I'm getting close to driving it but I have another car blocking it in that I need running first, before I can test drive the Nova. Then I need to have it inspected too. Shouldn't be TOO hard, since I'm a state inspector too.... lol

Well chop, chop!
Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/24/15 07:21 PM
Four hose retainer clips for my Volvo radiator.... $105 shocked And nobody has them in stock. Dealer can get them Wednesday. I just saved $35 by ordering online. Now we wait some more. Can't start the engine with oil and trans fluid shooting out the disconnected cooler hoses,therefore the Nova can't come out yet either.
Posted By: Dagobah Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/25/15 08:17 PM
Do y'all think the lumps are salvageable? The guy building the engine is capable, but I'm guessing it's going to involve extra time and expense.

I've heard Skyline Drive is one of the best roads in the entire country. I hope to make it up there someday.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/25/15 10:36 PM
There is only a little bit of work to do with those lumps. Remember, they have to be pulled out to perform porting, valve size increase and new guides, ect. When they are out, just have the guy remove a little from the bottom of the port so they sit flat. Not a big deal. That is why the bolts were not cut yet.
You only wanted me to do some of the work.
Posted By: Juicetone Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/26/15 12:06 AM
Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
There is only a little bit of work to do with those lumps. Remember, they have to be pulled out to perform porting, valve size increase and new guides, ect. When they are out, just have the guy remove a little from the bottom of the port so they sit flat. Not a big deal. That is why the bolts were not cut yet.
You only wanted me to do some of the work.

Tom, if you don't mind me asking, why would you "only do some of the work" as far as the lump? Is there not a set procedure? Just trying to learn here. Sorry OP.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/26/15 11:45 PM
I was asked to pull the rocker studs and machine for screw in studs, also to install the lump kit. It looks like a bit more material needs to be pulled from the floor of port to allow the lump to fully sit down. A 5 minute job. Some how it was missed by me.
Posted By: Juicetone Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/27/15 01:51 AM
Thanks Tom. I needed some understanding due to not having all of the information. I got that today and it became a lot clearer. Thanks again.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/28/15 01:58 PM
I actually see only one lump that has a bigger than usual gap, maybe its enough to do that one. Spend more time on careful grinding of both lump and port maybe, to keep the retaining bolt hole lined up. Little gaps are not a concern. Also pictures lie, use of flash created sharp contrasts and shadows and make stuff like little gaps seem bigger than they are..
Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/29/15 08:38 AM

I don't seem to have very good pics of mine but here goes

Posted By: Juicetone Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/29/15 07:18 PM
Nice job! They sit really flat.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/29/15 07:26 PM
This is an opposite example of picture distorting truth. These DO have gaps, enough so that I considered filling them with something. Decided not to after I read more about it, the consensus seems to be that it does not matter, you gain nothing. Then there's that small risk of your filler media coming loose and getting sucked in.
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: My Lumpy Head - 08/30/15 12:24 AM
Looks good to me! They'll do their job just fine.
Posted By: Dagobah Re: My Lumpy Head - 09/01/15 08:23 PM
I just wanted to kind of wrap up the thread. Tom and my brother Juicetone talked and it sounds like the head will turn out fine. Some of you guys pointed out some concerns with the bottom of the port but they just need finishing up.

Juicetone and I are about ten broken bolts into a complete disassembly of our grandpa's truck, the same one from which the engine came. Looking forward to making more progress.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board