Inliners International
Posted By: moregrip1 TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/01/23 07:52 PM
As many on here likely do, I have been collecting parts for a few years now and have some forged TRW 2289 .030 pistons I'd like to run in my engine when it comes rebuild time. Also just took delivery on some .030 Perfect Circle rings (circa 1978 according to the ink stamp).
Are the 2289's considered the LPG pistons?
Do they have any effect on compression ratio?
Lastly, being NOS they have their fair share of knicks and scratches but nothing I would consider critical; what should I look out for and is this common?
In other words, they don't look like a set of Tom's custom Ross pistons by a long shot!
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/02/23 02:07 PM
You will need to show a pic of the piston top. They have a 1.655 CH and if they are dished, then no they are not a LPG piston. Bet they are just a forged stock replacement piston. Do they have a chamfer on piston top near the ring?
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/02/23 03:41 PM
Thanks Tom, I'll try and get some pics up. They have a slight dish, no outer edge chamfer.
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/04/23 03:37 PM
Another question came to mind, been reading a lot of David Vizard books lately, are there any good sources for lightening pistons?
What are your thoughts on reducing the skirt length on a stock styled piston?
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/04/23 04:37 PM
Here's a pic of some .040 pistons. Both have about an .070 dish

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/04/23 08:18 PM
Not a good idea, it'll create more piston rock. Under the pin bosses are a better spot to remove material. The old 12-1/2:1 440 domed pistons were like cinder blocks weight-wise and I've taken a huge amount of weight out of a bunch of those in those areas. Lighter wrist pins are also an option. Just know that in a street engine, you will never know the difference if the pistons are 10 pounds each or 2 pounds each. In a race engine you will.
I know those chamfered pistons, they will give you 8:1 compression if you have zero deck. Lower compression than stock pistons.
They are heavy , but I ran a lot of nitrous with those & they never failed while detonating eek

MBHD
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/05/23 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
I know those chamfered pistons, they will give you 8:1 compression if you have zero deck. Lower compression than stock pistons.
They are heavy , but I ran a lot of nitrous with those & they never failed while detonating eek

MBHD

I'll make sure I don't use the chamfered pistons, 8:1 doesn't sound do great!
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/05/23 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude #5585
Not a good idea, it'll create more piston rock. Under the pin bosses are a better spot to remove material. The old 12-1/2:1 440 domed pistons were like cinder blocks weight-wise and I've taken a huge amount of weight out of a bunch of those in those areas. Lighter wrist pins are also an option. Just know that in a street engine, you will never know the difference if the pistons are 10 pounds each or 2 pounds each. In a race engine you will.
I was looking at the pistons and the top of the pistons seem to have a good bit of material, as well as the pin bosses. Not sure if I'll actually sit down and get after it but I did buy a small milling machine a few years back so this might be a worth while project; if only to learn. I have twelve .030 over NOS pistons that I've separated into 1st choice and 2nd choice. I'm thinking I might give it a go on the 2nd choice set.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/05/23 01:38 PM
If you do, you'll need to use a ball mill....
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/05/23 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude #5585
If you do, you'll need to use a ball mill....
I thank you for that, much appreciated.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/05/23 02:53 PM
A piston vise or some type of holding fixture so you can cant the piston 90 degrees to the wrist pin is needed also.
So your plan is to make flat tops from the non chamfered ones? Everything you take off will reduce compression if you don't push the piston farther up the hole or bring the deck down. Custom rods? I don't Know it there is .070" On the deck. Another thing is that all replacement over size pistons I've measured have a shorter deck height than stock. When oversize pistons are made the pin height in raised to drop the bigger piston to maintain the stock compression ratio. So they are already a few thousandths shorter.

In the "old days" they screwed plates to the top of the piston to raise compression. Of course it was still low compression by our standards, rpm rarely reached 2,500, and they often didn't last long.
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/06/23 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Beater of the Pack
So your plan is to make flat tops from the non chamfered ones? Everything you take off will reduce compression if you don't push the piston farther up the hole or bring the deck down. Custom rods? I don't Know it there is .070" On the deck. Another thing is that all replacement over size pistons I've measured have a shorter deck height than stock. When oversize pistons are made the pin height in raised to drop the bigger piston to maintain the stock compression ratio. So they are already a few thousandths shorter.

In the "old days" they screwed plates to the top of the piston to raise compression. Of course it was still low compression by our standards, rpm rarely reached 2,500, and they often didn't last long.

Now that you ask that question I'm wondering why I included the chamfer piston to begin with. I think for comparision sake. Anyway, the plan is to run the 2289 piston, maybe lighten it (maybe not) by methods described by CNC-Dude. My question was referencing a potential increase in compression vs stock pistons (to which mine are chamfered).
I think for a street engine it is more important that they weigh the same than be lighter. I don't know when you have to be concerned with the balance between the rods & pistons and the crank counter weights.
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 02/09/23 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Beater of the Pack
I think for a street engine it is more important that they weigh the same than be lighter. I don't know when you have to be concerned with the balance between the rods & pistons and the crank counter weights.

My idea is to follow as many of the good block prep and rotating assembly prep best practices as I can, tools and talent permitting. Not sure I will be able to call it balance and blueprinting but that's the bar; hopefully that effort nets a positive effect and I don't make too many detours!
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 03/01/23 04:59 AM
Any tips on getting the wrist pins out of the pistons? They don't want to move.
Posted By: panic Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 03/01/23 01:15 PM
Boiling water?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 03/01/23 11:24 PM
The rods have to be heated normally it does make it easier to remove them. But they can just be pressed out.
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 03/02/23 04:08 AM
I am told the cosmoline used gums up over time and makes them difficult to remove. Larry, these are the NOS pistons, never ran, just been sitting a long time!
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 03/02/23 10:52 PM
If the wrist pins are stuck in the piston just soak them in some carb cleaner Or a good degreaser. like purple stuff . It work even better if you heat up the purple stuff.
Posted By: moregrip1 Re: TRW NOS forged pistons question - 03/05/23 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by Twisted6
If the wrist pins are stuck in the piston just soak them in some carb cleaner Or a good degreaser. like purple stuff . It work even better if you heat up the purple stuff.

I'll give it a try!
© Inliners International Bulletin Board