Inliners International
Posted By: 250Nova Offy 3x1 to Offy 4x1 - 12/21/07 07:44 AM
As some of you might now, I have a 72' Nova with the 250. As my senior project a year and a half ago, I swapped in place of stock components, an Offy 3x1 and Langdon's headers. And I have to say, it turned some heads. However, NOW, I have pulled the engine and am doing internal work. .030 over, comp cam, ect. I am thinking about going to a single 4bbl. Mostly so I dont ever have to f**k with multiple linkage anymore. I am probably gonna stay with an Offy manifold. However I'm having trouble picking a carb.
I work at a parts store, and even with my discount, a Holley 390 is still $500 out-the-door, which too much for me. For $300, we have the Holley 570, which wet flows at 500. Is this too much? Also, I would like to have a carb that would mount inline, so my throttle would be a no-hassle attachment, however the Offy manifold doesnt seem to allow that. Is there a carb that fits on this manifold, that I CAN mount inline?
And YES, I HAVE "searched" the archives, and I would prefer help with my particular situation. Thanks much,
Matt
aka 250Nova

More info:
250cid
.030 over
Comp 252H cam, matched lifters,springs,ect
Langdon's Headers w/ dual 2.25" piping
Going to electric fuel pump also.
Posted By: 74NovaGuy Re: Offy 3x1 to Offy 4x1 - 12/21/07 09:03 AM
Holley #8007 390 CFM Carb available from amazon.com for 321.94 and free shipping. Three in stock right now. Summit Racing is 346.95 plus about 10.00 handing charge. I say stick with the 390. Need a new water pump? Check out the Polished Aluminum Heavy Duty pump at Autozone.(BWP-386HDA) 63.99
Good Luck!
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Offy 3x1 to Offy 4x1 - 12/21/07 09:42 AM
250Nova
I sent you a private message in regaurds to the offey intake and carb rotation.It should make thing a little easier for you.
Posted By: seiscanecos74 Re: Offy 3x1 to Offy 4x1 - 12/21/07 11:07 AM
Ever thought about EFI? Can be a little more expensive at the begining but after all itīll worth. I think...
Posted By: carbking Re: Offy 3x1 to Offy 4x1 - 12/21/07 02:18 PM
Not trying to change your mind, but why are you removing the 3x1?

For the price of a four barrel intake and carburetor you can gold plate the linkage on your 3x1. Of course if you are having other problems with the carbs???

Linkage for a 3x1 setup is really quite simple. You might have solid linkage in which case all carbs open simultaneously; or you might have progressive linkage in which case you hook the footfeed to the center carb, and hook the end carbs to a higher point on the center carb. You control the opening of the end carbs by the proportion of the distance from the throttle shaft to the two linkage arms.

Jon.
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: Offy 3x1 to Offy 4x1 - 12/21/07 03:50 PM
Dear Matt;

Yes; Jon is correct.

All 3 should work at the same time & the way those (3 pot) systems work best.

The "progressive" linksge on V-8s is okay, but always a problen on the 6.

Good luck. \:\)
© Inliners International Bulletin Board