Inliners International
Posted By: Xerxes DIY headers finally finished - 03/05/09 10:22 PM
Finally got my headers finished. Got the collectors finished and then the flanges (3/8 steel) made and welded up.

And then installed on the truck. As you can see by the color, I just had to try them out \:\)

Now if I can get the new head/intake/carbs done...

Sincerely:
Paul...aka xerxes
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/05/09 10:27 PM
Looks GREAT nice peice of work there.
Posted By: Hoyt Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/07/09 03:56 PM
Great Job! I was about to ask a dumb question (where are the intake ports?) when I remembered that your engine is a Willys F-head.
Posted By: Xerxes Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/07/09 07:50 PM
Thanks guys:
I appreciate the complements. It's my first attempt and although not quickly done (they do it on TV between commercials!) it was fun to do.

Sincerely:
Paul...aka xerxes
Posted By: samwise68 Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/07/09 11:09 PM
Those a are gorgeous, great job! It's good to see people still fabbing their own parts.

I tip my hat to you, sir.

-Sam.
Nice work. Judging from the color of the end tubes I would say cylinders #1 and #6 are running leaner than the rest. Perhaps you should address that issue some time.
Posted By: Xerxes Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/09/09 09:31 PM
Hello Frenchtown Flyer:

Yes, that didn't go unnoticed. I assume that's an indication of what has been going on since the folks at Willys first produced these motors with that single carb in the middle of the plenum. When I cut the side off the other head, there is one port right below the carb and one on each end of the plenum. The plugs on those two holes are noticeably lighter than the others. I hope that when I get the two carb intake done it will mitigate that to some degree. I've tried to position the carbs to slightly favor the ends of the plenum. Seat of the pants engineering, I know. We'll see how it works.
As a side note, I also noticed that on the places on the pipes where I bead blasted the factory coating completely off the pipes blued right away. That includes those two pipes as well as parts of the collectors.
Still however, need to address the lean condition on the two ends.

Sincerely:
Paul...aka xerxes
Posted By: Unsafe6 Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/11/09 01:09 AM
Nice job! That is such a cool and different engine project. Have you got to drive it and feel how much of an improvement its made yet?
Posted By: Xerxes Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/11/09 10:29 AM
Unsafe6:
Drive it?.. Up and down the driveway a couple of times. The truck isn't finished yet..Still have to get the doors finished and on and go around and make sure everything is tight, get the front end aligned and so forth. Probably will never know how much I've improved it if at all. I just hope it will go fast enough to keep from getting run over around here.

Sincerely:
Paul...aka xerxes
Posted By: Wagoneer Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/21/09 04:06 PM
Paul,

You did a really fantastic job on those headers. My hat's off to you. Definitely an awesome accomplishment. If you're not doing anything for a while, how about building a set for my '99 Lumina with a 3100 bent six stuck in it sideways? LOL.
Posted By: Xerxes Re: DIY headers finally finished - 03/22/09 08:34 AM
Zeke:

Sure..Bring it to Charlotte and leave it for about six weeks and I should be able to knock it right out! \:D

I appreciate the kind words..
Paul...aka xerxes
© Inliners International Bulletin Board