Inliners International
Posted By: VStock Headers and Flanges - 06/04/09 01:40 PM
I am currently building two cars, a 66 Chevelle and a 69 Camaro. Both will be powered by 230's. The Chevelle is on the road and will be primarily for the street; the Camaro will be for NHRA stock class drag racing. I've been looking for headers for a while now. Someone suggested I build my own - I'm going to give it a try. I bought a set of flanges from our own Twisted Six, I got them several months ago. Recently there is someone listing header flanges on Ebay; I bought a set of those also. I like the ones I got from Twisted Six much better than the Ebay ones. The finish is better, the outline is better, and they have a divider in the siamese ports.
Posted By: Xerxes Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/04/09 02:29 PM
Um, I have just one question.. How the heck do you build two cars at once? I can't seem to get one done!

Building the headers for my truck was certainly fun. Didn't have any choice in my case, but fun. I'd do it again.

Sincerely:
Paul
Posted By: VStock Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/04/09 03:41 PM
Who said I get anything done? I got the Chevelle last November, just got it on the road again two weeks ago. The Camaro is at a friend's house - I'm paying him to put in new floorboards and rocker panels. If 'm lucky I will have it on the track next year.
Posted By: strokersix Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/04/09 04:41 PM
I have a set of the common and cheap 1/2 ton Chevy truck headers. I shortened them a bit to fit my Nova. Not as nice as built from scratch but it was a lot quicker.
Posted By: VStock Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/04/09 07:52 PM
Yup, I'm planning on doing the same. I bought a set of the Flowtech truck headers. Jeg's had a set on E-Bay for $129 plus shipping.
Posted By: 63ChevyII Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/06/09 12:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: strokersix
I have a set of the common and cheap 1/2 ton Chevy truck headers. I shortened them a bit to fit my Nova. Not as nice as built from scratch but it was a lot quicker.

any pics of what you did?
Posted By: pinebluffdude Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/06/09 01:41 AM
Is there a Part Number for the Flowtech Headers for the Inline Six?
Posted By: VStock Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/06/09 08:02 AM
There is - it is Flowtech no. 11510.
Posted By: strokersix Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/06/09 08:39 AM
The truck headers hung down too far but fit my '72 Nova OK otherwise. Placed them on them on the bench and marked where to remove tube. I cut out sections of tubing and welded them back together so the collectors wouldn't hang down so far. It wasn't too difficult. Had to fight with it a bit to get three tubes lined up simultaneously but it really was pretty easy.

I don't know how to post photos. Any tutorial or help?
Posted By: pinebluffdude Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/08/09 02:13 AM
Thanks Vstock. My current 250 has the intergrated head but my neighbor has a regular 250 he will sell me for $100
When I get some real headers I can stop making that funny sound...
Vroom Vroom
Posted By: VStock Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/09/09 04:35 PM
Summit has the truck headers on E-Bay with a Buy It Now price of $138.95 + $11.95 shipping. The listing says they have four sets available.
Posted By: LGriffin_#4385 Re: Headers and Flanges - 06/09/09 05:04 PM
I thought throw this out in case someone is looking at Pacesetter truck headers. I bought a set from that auction. When they were delivered they looked new and the flange was a little beefer than the headers I'm currently running. I started to mock up the headers with the Offy 4bbl intake the other day and there is a clearance problem. The extra material on the flange won't let the Offy manifold clear the flange. Pacesetter added an extra 1/8 of an inch to the inside of the flange between #1 and #2 cylinders. The Offy manifold also appears to have some extra material on the bottom of #1 and #2 intake. It looks like I could remove some material from the Offy with out getting into the gasket area. I don't see a problem with #5 and #6 7yet. Haven't decide which way to go yet, but the header is the likely choice for cutting. I have no idea what year either the Offy or the headers were made. I did send an email to Pacesetter via their web site and have not got an answer.

LG
© Inliners International Bulletin Board