Inliners International
Posted By: robfrey GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/27/10 09:45 PM
Hi everybody,
First post here. Building a twin turbo 292 base 340 6 cylinder.
This is actually a rebuild / conversion to a pump gas turbo engine.
The question I had is with the cam drive gears. I believe they are Cloyes brand with straight cut and adjustable (3 keyway) crank gear. I don't know how many mile, laps or hours are on these gears but they are fretting at the contact points. Is this common? Anyway to stop it? Are they okay to run or will I need a new set?
I tried to take some picture of just how bad it was but I need a better camera for that.

What is a 340 6 cylinder? How do you get that?

MBHD
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/27/10 11:44 PM
I think if the gears are showing any signs of wear, you should go ahead and replace them, their not that expensive, and you will have peace of mind knowing they are new. Also curious about the 340 6 cylinder combo you mentioned.
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 12:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank

What is a 340 6 cylinder? How do you get that?

MBHD

4.130 bore x 4.25 stroke x 6 cylinders
It's a pretty serious build. All aluminum block, head, titanium rods, roller cam, etc. Don't ask where the aluminum block came from. There is no name or numbers anywhere on it.
Posted By: don 1450 Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 12:53 PM
"4.130 bore x 4.25 stroke x 6 cylinders"

Ah so . . . i get 341.6 cid. These are roughly the dimensions of Tom Langdon's bored-and-stroked GMC 302 . . . but an aluminum block! i am curious about that block, but even more curious about the head! This would be something that we all want to see.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 12:55 PM
Rob,
Is that a cast or billet?

What head will you be running on it? We need pic's. Sounds like you are going to have a fun project. Tom
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 02:25 PM
Here are some pics.
http://s749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/BR_LSR/Govs_six2010/

Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 02:26 PM
You can see more at

http://s749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/BR_LSR/Govs_six2010/
Posted By: panic Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 02:56 PM
That' a huge advantage for the bore size: unshroud the valves.
Posted By: Armond, II#298 Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 03:35 PM
Looks like a Duggan. Do you have the sideplate?
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/28/10 05:23 PM
I agree, it's either a Duggan with the name removed or a Deppe. Same with the head.

Cool engine!

Those timing gears are shot.

What are you going to put it in?

The stroke on that crank is huge.
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/29/10 12:58 AM
I think it may be a Deppe. Mr Sissell thought it was when I sent him pics.
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/29/10 12:59 AM
Do these timing gears fail often like this or there an underlying problem that caused this?
Posted By: 50 GMC Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 09/30/10 01:55 AM
Looks like gears that have ran without oil for a time. If they did run dry - it wouldn't take long for surface temps to get high and localized spalling to start.
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 10/08/10 12:44 AM
Center to center distance looks a little tight on this gearset.
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 12/27/17 11:57 PM
Well to make a long story short. I delivered this engine 7 years ago but it never got installed and running.
I now have that task of mounting turbos, building headers, manufacturing intake manifold, installing FAST XFI fuel injection and get it up and running and dyno tuned.
It is getting close to firing up. A big thank you to Mr Sissell for all the technical help!

Anyhow,
I had a question about the front timing covers for these engines.
What actually locates the cover to the block? Chevy V8 uses two small dowel pins. I'm afraid that if it is not located correctly, the front seal will leak.
Pics to follow.
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 12/28/17 12:30 AM
Untitled by CarbiniteLSR, on Flickr
[img]https:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21S6QHw]
Posted By: robfrey Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 12/28/17 12:34 AM
1/2" diameter hole in cover is for cam sensor. Corresponding magnet shown bottom pic.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 12/28/17 02:39 AM
Originally Posted By: robfrey

Anyhow,
I had a question about the front timing covers for these engines.
What actually locates the cover to the block? Chevy V8 uses two small dowel pins. I'm afraid that if it is not located correctly, the front seal will leak.
Pics to follow.

Professional engine builders have specialty tools they make or buy to accomplish this task. I have many for different engines that range from old balancers with the outer ring pushed off of them to billet hubs with keyway's broached in them i've made to slide on the crank snout to take the place of the balancer that will center the timing cover.
You will have to loosen your oil pan because it being snugged up into position already can/will force the timing cover out of center regardless of any method you use to center the timing cover.
Posted By: strokersix Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 12/28/17 10:59 AM
I've always done like CNC says. Use the damper or simulated damper hub to center the timing cover, then install oil pan.
Posted By: 70Nova Re: GMC 292 cam gear problem. - 12/28/17 05:15 PM
Use the damper pulley, thats the only accurate component since that's what needs to seal to the cover. Nothing else matters.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board