Inliners International
Posted By: roadrash Found my machinist - 05/26/11 12:20 AM
Nearing the point of no return ! Found a local machinist with lots experience on stovebolts . Would like bounce my ideas off the board for your opinions. Here's my plan...'59 235 block and 848 head to be hot tanked and checked over . Want to bore 30 over and install Ross "Mcgurk dog turd " pistons on 270 GMC rods (full floaters and raise the pin 0.19 ). Shave the heads ,clean up the valve chamber, have the whole she-bang balanced and the crank drilled for a fluid balancer. Is there anything else I should be having done ? Am I missing anything ? Any thoughts on what kind of horsepower I'll be looking at ? All thoughts and opinions will be much appreciated ! Thanks in advance .. Mark aka Roadrash
Posted By: roadrash Re: Found my machinist - 05/26/11 12:22 AM
Forgot to mention plans call for a Clifford 4 barrel intake with a 390cfm Holley 4150 with a Patrick's E-2 cam
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Found my machinist - 05/26/11 01:37 AM
Convert to full flow oil filter. How to in out Tech Tips section.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: Found my machinist - 05/26/11 01:51 AM
Make sure you port the head, you wont gain much by adding a bigger cam and more compression if you dont. California Bill's book shows some upgrades to do in that area to get the most benefit out of the head.
Posted By: roadrash Re: Found my machinist - 05/30/11 08:00 AM
Thank you Beater... had'nt thought of converting to full flow, should have been at the top of the list ! Was going to port the head originally... the Clifford site wasn't recomending it for that intake.....re-read the article ....that was for street use, porting back in the plan ! Thank you CNC .
Anymore input, 1st attempt at building a race motor, realistically how much horsepower can I expect ? Also what be an upper limit on RPM ?
Thanks Mark
Posted By: CanepaTwin Re: Found my machinist - 05/31/11 02:49 AM
Porting is important and helpful as well is increasing your intake valve size and high lift rockers. Give the cam a chance, don't flatten it by making it do all the work. Share the load in the valve train. Make sure you take good care of your rotating assembly as well. Blue line/Shot Peen your crank and wet mag it too. Balance everything.... and I mean EVERYTHING in your rotating assembly.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board