Inliners International
Posted By: Gearhead1 292 Flywheel Bolts etc, - 12/05/12 12:10 AM
I finally got my very own 292. It appears to be a 1970 with breaker point distributor. The crankshaft has 3 dowel pins and 6 tapped holes. (I didn't measure them before mounting to an engine stand but I think they are 1/2".)

I did not get a flywheel with the engine, but I have several from SB and BB Chevys.
Before I drill one of these for the dowels and larger bolts, I have a couple of questions.

Do I borrow a 6 cylinder flywheel and transfer punch the hole locations or do I have to go to a rotary table and mill to locate the new holes?

Since I have a choice, 153 or 168 tooth, aluminum or iron?

My intention was to use a T-5 Transmission,(mostly for the S10 shifter location) but I have a Saginaw 4 Speed and a 3 speed overdrive unit. I could marry these together and have an 8 speed.
(1st, 1st OD, 2nd, 2nd OD, 3rd, 3rd OD, 4th and 4th OD)I don't remember the ratios of this particular Saginaw, but I have enough stuff to make this work.

The car is a 37 Chevy tudor. This engine is going to be stock for now. Later, I will blow the whole car apart and do a frame off, IFS, and of course more power!

What do ya think?

Bruce
Posted By: Harry 6674 II 5760 Re: 292 Flywheel Bolts etc, - 12/05/12 03:43 PM
Six flywheel and transfer punches should work but it is usually better to do it on a high quality drill press or mill. Did mine on a cheap drill press and it seems to work but mine is a drag car. Love them 37 chebbys.
Posted By: Gearhead1 Re: 292 Flywheel Bolts etc, - 12/05/12 11:09 PM
Harry,
Thanx for the advice. I was looking at all my stuff and decided to go with the 168 tooth iron flywheel.

I will transfer punch the hle and drill them on my very old but very accurate drill press.

Anybody want to comment on the transmission question?

Bruce
© Inliners International Bulletin Board