Inliners International
Posted By: moodybo Hei or petronix? - 01/03/05 03:05 PM
Which is the better of the two to replace points? Honestly the big bulky Hei looks kind of overkill on the side than a stock small distributor(with the petronix kit inside of it course)! But if it delivers more presice current i guess it will have to work!
Posted By: don 1450 Re: Hei or petronix? - 01/03/05 05:52 PM
Check out Tom Langdon's "mini-HEI"; he may have something for your application. i have one of these on my GMC, and so far it works really well--and looks good.

God's Peace to you.

d
Posted By: moodybo Re: Hei or petronix? - 01/03/05 11:15 PM
i will thanks don!
Posted By: chopped 40 Re: Hei or petronix? - 01/04/05 10:37 AM
I had a GM HEI on my motor but it looked way too large and not pretty. I went to the stock distributor and the Pertronics II system. After 5,000+ miles, it hasn't missed a beat and it starts with the first crank. Langdon's mini-hei
would be an update over the Pertronics system. Depends on your budget.

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe
Posted By: Bruce Re: Hei or petronix? - 01/04/05 03:23 PM
If the looks are the only thing keeping you from going with the GM HEI, you can fit a cap and external coil (1975-1976). Reduces the weight and height of the unit.
Posted By: twe56 Re: Hei or petronix? - 01/05/05 08:58 AM
I'm using a mini-HEI on my 56 235 -- I like it. I have used Pertronix in the past with good luck on other vehicles. The reason I chose the HEI in this case was that I wanted a completely new distributor.
Posted By: bigchevy66 Re: Hei or petronix? - 01/05/05 06:58 PM
I used Pertronix 1 system on my 250, and it worked ok. I didn't really like the fact that you were supposed to use special coils, or pay attention to the resistance of the coil. I ended up ditching it and went with a stock HEI and external coil. Works perfectly, parts are cheap and extremely easy to find, and I don't have to worry about dealing with Pertronix if something goes wrong. Remeber, almost all of the V8 HEI parts interchange with the I6 HEI. Just my thoughts. Good luck. John
© Inliners International Bulletin Board