Inliners International
Posted By: l6Ragtop Pertronix Installation Troubles - 11/06/07 04:30 PM
I just bought a Pertronix Ignitor II for my '67 Chevy 250. The installation went smoothly until I tried to press on the magnetic sleeve over the breaker cam. The sleeve seems to be too small. There is no way I can place it over the cam without pounding it down with a socket and hammer. Doesn't seem right to me. Anybody have the same issue?

Thanks,

Dan
Posted By: Herb I.I.#3241 Re: Pertronix Installation Troubles - 11/06/07 07:24 PM
Measure the ID and OD to be sure it will fit, It's supposed to fit with flat spot on the cam. Maybe they s ent you the wrong kit. (8 cyl perhaps)Good luck Herb
I just bought a Pontiac OHC6 with pertronix on it .I need to know how to hook it up. Does the red wire go to the + side of the coil and the black wire go to the - ? Also do I need to have a resistor before the coil or does it need the full 12 volts? Thanks, joe
Posted By: Herb I.I.#3241 Re: Pertronix Installation Troubles - 11/24/07 04:44 PM
Joe, red to positive black to negative. My instruction sheet says that an original resister or ballast are not to changed in any way. Enjoy Herb
Posted By: Mr48chev Re: Pertronix Installation Troubles - 12/06/07 02:21 PM
Here is the factory link and they do have a support link http://www.patriotexhaust.com/
Posted By: Ron Golden Re: Pertronix Installation Troubles - 01/01/08 08:49 PM
I recurve/rebuild/modify all types of ignition systems and quit using Pertronics conversions cause too often they didn't fit right. For a few dollars more an MSD box can be used and made to work with any distributor, regardless of whether their points or magnetic pickup. With point ignitions the heavy current no longer goes thru the points and the points lasts a lot longer.

Ron
Posted By: JasonS Re: Pertronix Installation Troubles - 01/01/08 09:15 PM
I have had good luck with the three pertronix ignitions that I have installed. Whether or not you need a ballast resistor depends on your system voltage, the number of cylinders, and the total resistance of your coil and ballast resistor. I recommend limiting the DC current to ~4 amps for a 6 cylinder. This means a 3 ohm coil if you do not have a ballast resistor (12V). If you are using an original 1.5 ohm coil, add a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor.

Edit: These recommendations are for the original Pertronix, not the Pertronix II.
Posted By: 56er Re: Pertronix Installation Troubles - 01/12/08 05:07 AM
I think I have the original pertronix on my ford and I just chucked the resistor. I have pertronix coil and msd wires, ngk plugs. It's been running like that for 7 years. I put an msd box on it last summer though, because I added nitrous. Still works great to 6500 at least.
56er, when you figure that photo/phone thing out show us pictures of this too!
© Inliners International Bulletin Board