Inliners International
Posted By: sparks petronics ignition - 02/15/15 07:36 PM
Just bought a petronics points conversion and blaster coil. The catalog stated a 3 ohm coil was required for six cylinder application. Got the parts and found in coil paperwork that a 3 ohm coil was not recommended for a racing application. Anyone have any experience in this?
Posted By: Xerxes Re: petronics ignition - 02/16/15 05:58 PM
I'd suggest you call and talk Pertronix about this. They are very helpful..Great customer service and I can assure you you aren't going anywhere that hasn't been covered by them before.

Paul T
Posted By: Melon Re: petronics ignition - 02/16/15 09:54 PM
Hello All,

I'm on a search for a coolant temperature switch.. 1/8" pipe
threads and closes @ 180*-190*.. I need it to tell the relay
when the electric fan is needed.. I have very limited space on
the back of my 258 Jeep cylinder head so making a larger hole
or adapting to say 3/8" pipe isn't a great option...Metric
threads are do-able if they are close to 1/8" pipe.. Any help
is appreciated..
Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER Re: petronics ignition - 02/17/15 09:59 PM
Melon,
Why not start a separate thread?

Why not mount the sender up front by the stat?
Posted By: gbauer Re: petronics ignition - 02/18/15 01:06 PM
This is what I did with mine:

Get a thermostat spacer and drill and tap it to match what you need. Mine needs to be cleaned up a little more but it's close to what the final product will look like.
Posted By: sparks Re: petronics ignition - 02/18/15 01:26 PM
Back on the original topic. I E-mailed both petronics and summit, from whom I purchased the parts. Both say 3 ohm or 1.5 ohm will work fine in a racing application without ballast resister.Road tested because I live out in the sticks and so far so good. thanks for the input.
Posted By: 50 GMC Re: petronics ignition - 03/06/15 02:49 AM
I have used the 0.6 ohm coil with a 6V Pertronix and it has worked far better than the 1.5 ohm.

If you are running 12V then the 1.5 ohm would be similar with regard to performance.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board