Inliners International
Posted By: rlh1548 buffing final coay - 04/21/07 12:30 AM
I notice on the TV shows their buffing out the clear coat,what do they use to buff it?
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: buffing final coay - 04/21/07 08:57 AM
It could be one of several compounds.

Generaly; It's a liquid form of 'rubbing compound', sometimes called "final finish". A very fine abrasive, similar to chrome polish.

The buffer is a polish cloth mounted on a 'body grinder' which turns 4,500 RPM +/-.

Happy trails. \:\)
Posted By: Turbo-6 Re: buffing final coay - 04/22/07 01:28 PM
If it's new paint rub the next day or it gets too hard, sand first with 1000 grit then 1500 then 2000 besure to sand out the previous scratch before going to the next grit,this makes the surface flat before buffing, use 3M 6060 or simular compound.
Use a polisher at a very slow speed 1800-2000 RPM and mist with water as polishing do not use heat as done on old style paints !
If it's factory paint use only very fine polishes since the paint is very thin and do not sand.
Posted By: jmoran Re: buffing final coay - 04/23/07 10:05 AM
First of all you need to make sure you have enough clear on to be able to cut and polish so as you do not cut through the clear. Stay away from sharp corners. You can put some tape on the areas to stay away from. I lay 3 wet coats down and then let sit for a couple of days. I'll then sand down with 800 to 1000 dry on a 6" palm sander with an interface pad. Let it sit out in the sun to make sure its done gasing and bring back in an lay 2 more coats on. The next day I will hit with 1500 slightly wet and then 2000 wet mirka abralon 6" disc and then 4000 mirka abralon disk, wet. Only doing about a 2x2 area at a time. Then I finish it off with Presta 2000 polish with a blue foam pad. Start off with about 1000 -1200 rpm till you get the hang of it.I would suggest you get an old hood or panel and clear it and practise on the old hood first till you get the hang of it. It's a great way to learn. But do not buff over 2400 RPM or you will be repainting your ride. Good luck.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board