Inliners International
Posted By: stock49 Clear L Head: Super Slow Motion video - 11/09/19 02:22 PM
Greetings . . .

I got a referral to this piece from '17 over at Mac's Motor City Garage.
It features a video of a running Briggs L-head engine with a clear head:

The author runs three different fuels. The soaking-wet-rich alcohol run is most peculiar.

regards,
stock49
Posted By: panic Re: Clear L Head: Super Slow Motion video - 11/09/19 08:32 PM
The flat (uncontoured) replacement head completely removes all of the patented Ricardo features that made the flathead engine successful. There is no quench surface, no turbulence, just a open hole.
What you see is nothing like combustion in an actual SV engine.
Posted By: stock49 Re: Clear L Head: Super Slow Motion video - 11/10/19 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: panic
The flat (uncontoured) replacement head completely removes all of the patented Ricardo features that made the flathead engine successful. There is no quench surface, no turbulence, just a open hole.
What you see is nothing like combustion in an actual SV engine.

Perhaps panic - but I think you are holding the bar a bit high (then again you always do).

Even if the 'window' head doesn't include all the best engineering features of a side-valve design it does reveal the essential elements of 'flame-front' travel from the combustion chamber into the cylinder - the swirl of the exhaust - and the sometimes foggy intake stroke. And for the me the fact that the super rich alcohol mixture even lit was amazing.
Posted By: Melon Re: Clear L Head: Super Slow Motion video - 12/24/19 12:00 PM
Charles Franklin designed a nearly identical combustion chamber for Indian Motorcycles before Recardo and never bothered to patent his designs...They just beat the competition... He really understood how to make a flathead produce power..
© Inliners International Bulletin Board