Inliners International
Posted By: Titen Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/13/13 12:23 AM
The Inliners International are having a discussion on the future of the website and forums. All Bulletin Board members please take a moment to participate in this poll....
Can you post this in each forum? I'm not sure how many people read anything besides the forum they post in or have an interest in. ie. Hi Performance or Drive Train
I somehow feel were going to be graded on the results.
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/14/13 01:10 AM
Scott,

You are not going to be graded, but I sure am. This is very important to the future of the BB and the website. There is a committee that is evaluating the effectiveness of the website on bringing in new members. The Inliners are trying to recruit new, and younger, members to ensure our club won't fade away. Big changes may be in the future, good or otherwise. Any suggestions on improving the appeal of the Inliners Website will be greatly appreciated.

HELP,

Tim
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/14/13 01:14 AM
Come on everyone, give your thoughts. Please don't pick what you think I want to hear, let's cut to the chase. This is much to important to ignore.

Thanks,

Tim
I checked 3 of the 5 that pertained to me, so if everyone else does the same we/you and the future of the club should be in good shape.
Also Tim, don't know if I have ever mentioned this here or elsewhere before, but you do an excellent job keeping the forum going day in and day out. I know its a challenge and many don't realize exactly all that is involved and what you have on your plate every day. Thanks.
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/14/13 08:47 AM
Maybe put an "i voted today" strip in your sig

Abd maybe each of us can remind people to go to bench racing on the bb and enter your vote
Posted By: VStock Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/14/13 08:51 AM
I find the bulletin board very helpful. I was a member a few years back and intend to join again. I just suggested someone from the class racer board look at this one. He was asking about 300 Fords.
If you want to bring in future "younger" members, you better keep the web site all together. Just because some older Inliners like myself may not be overly computer or internet smart and tend to shy away from it, they certainly do not.
There is absolutely no better source these days for finding info and club links than the internet. My 2 cents.
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/14/13 03:34 PM
Tim is it fine if i put a post up also in the engines forum?
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/15/13 01:59 AM
It's really funny, the 'host not recognized' that some of you were seeing is happening to me on my new W7 computer, oh well, we'll figure this out too. lowboygmc, you can post (almost) anything you wish. I will post a little later about what this 'audit' is all about, bear with me please.

Tim
The BB is the only reason I use the web site. Everything else here is available elsewhere. Though I enjoy the 12 Port News it is useless for getting timely information. I doubt that I would remain a member without the board. It would piss me off that much. \:o Also if getting new blood means turning us into another import club I'm gone. I think we need to ask some of the members who left why they did. There are a lot of inlines at Bonneville but few of those guys post here, write for the 12 Port, or are even members. \:\( I was told by one that it was because there is not enough Buick 8 stuff here. It just seems that the Hudson, Mopar, Ford, Ford 4s, Stude............guys live in cyber ghettos where their narrow interests and needs can be met. It could be as simple as that for some reason their searches don't bring them here. It could also be that when they get here and do a search they can not access old threads that pertain to them. My vote is to back Tim and give him the resources he needs to make what ever improvements are needed. One improvement would be that all of the old 12 Port Tech Tips should be here, maybe the whole issue. What good is all of that information in some old guy's closet to an enthusiastic high school kid building a Jimmy powered '40 Chevy Coupe. He'll go where he can find what he needs. (the H.A.M.B.) Give it up you old poots! \:D If you want young members you have to answer their questions and make then feel welcome and at ease. The question may have been asked a thousand times. You probably have not been the first to ask most of the questions you wanted answers to but someone said it again. \:\) To me the members and future members are the most important part of Inliners, the BB is next.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/15/13 06:35 PM
Tim
I have been running W7 pro for a couple of yrs. and have not have any issues with any part of this BB.
W7 user also and no problems. Also, I agree with Beater, in this day and time a blog or forum is the main media the younger generation and many of us older ones communicate with social networking. Just look at Facebook, Twitter and Myspace as examples of how much those types of media are relied on to network around the world, a BB is just as important and needed.
My thoughts if anyone cares. If this club is to survive it has to have new members comming on board. The bulletin board used to have a friendly form where guys discussed ideas, problems,dreams, and where they went last week or were going next week. For the most part that seems to be gone. I am as much to fault as anyone because I have somewhat stopped posting like I used to. I think I drifted away because things just weren't there to hold my interest. I still own two inliners that I drive on a regular basis. I have not attended a National gathering since 2008. We had a fantastic time and still list it as a high point of attending gatherings that include several clubs over the last 40 or so years but schedule, time, money, and health have prevented us from attending since. I do think we tend to be a little GM specific, I have one inline GM and one inline Ford, and I find very little discussion except GM. If you look at the dates when some sections were last posted to there has to be a message there to all of us. I think that Titen has worked very hard to try to keep this board afloat but he isn't superman unless we each do our share the future is uncertain. The club seems to be very weak in activities east of the Mississippi. Part of the problem might be the current economy who knows. If I have hurt anyones feelings I am sorry as I didn't mean to and I blame myself as much as anyone.
If the headcount for the Inliners club applications that we handed out in Reno at the Hot August Nights swap meet are any indicator, it was about 75% under 25 years old and quite a few of them knew of the BB. Also most of the under 25s' were building 216s' and 235s'. I think we gave out around 30 or so apps. .and old issues of the 12 Port.
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/16/13 08:39 AM
Man i hope this all doesn't go away i just got in

Love the engine and love the people

watchin engine come to life for the first time for us younger guys who haven't built 200 motors
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/16/13 11:04 AM
Tim, what would they replace the BB with?

Unless they have someone ready to ride herd on Facebook, Twitter and the like, this is their best bet so far.

It is how I found, and joined Inliners (ok, I figured out my dues are late, I'm fixing that Monday), if they want new, younger members they have to maintain an interactive presence on the web (without being interactive, we would just be preaching at them, show of hands, who likes that?).

The biggest problem with young people joining the group is how long it was since the US built an inline 6 (what, the 300 Ford was the last, before the 4200 showed up?).

I know lots of people that run import inlines, Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi.

They are more than tired of the "gotta have a V8" mentality that they constantly encounter, but their "iron" is not welcome here.

I'm not suggesting that we welcome imports to the forum or the club, but that is where we are as a group.

Being a supporter of the 4200, I have run into similar, if admittedly less vehement issues when I mention the 4200 that those of the import crowd I know are fed up with.

Realistically, Bonneville is the only place I could see anyone putting a vintage 6 or 8 into a modern import (like the Salt Cat crew and their Buick straight 8 powered Jag, anyone want to build a Jimmy powered 240SX Nissan?)

Anywhere else and the firewall setback, extra weight over the front axle, and cost to get "acceptable" performance are all deal breakers (each one). \:\(

I wish one of the big three would pick some inline 6 that was worth a damn and stick with it for a few decades, but hell, they don't even do that with their bent 8 engines any more. \:\(

The only thing I could see, possibly helping, is a section where folks that are working on a 4200 (or other domestic inline) swap into an import chassis (like the Supra that had the turboed 4200, or the Opel that had one until they converted to an inline 5 halfway through the first pass at speedweek this year \:\( ).

I don't know how much it will help though as it is such a small portion of what is going on out there, and there are several forums, and a yahoo group or two dedicated to the 4200 already.

This may not be helpful, but it's what I have, let me know if there is something I can do, other than putting the word out about the club (I already do that ;\) ).
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/16/13 05:53 PM
ONE thing this club used (key word used to) is we had a chat room where we met every Tuesday night. and shot the BS for hrs.
Posted By: mdonohue05 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/16/13 07:27 PM
So, I need to rejoin, and it's my fault for not doing so earlier, I was 728. I will take care of that this week. For a short time in the 90's i was the east coast chapter president. Had a little get together that year at englishtown that was a real hoot for those of us who showed up. But keep in mind that was a nostalgia race. As for new and/or young members, I have a son who runs a 90 or 91 Toyota supra, straight six with a turbo. It's pretty cool and runs really really well. They have there own forums and to be truthful, we don't have, and may never be able, to offer much in that reguard. the fact is that my son and his friends play with what they can afford and what is available, and that means imports, 4 and 6 cylinders. They get a kick out of my old school 6 motors and ask tons of questions but in the end they are into what they are playing with. I would love to see that group amongst our ranks, frankly they know a lot more than most of us with respect to turbos and just as eager to talk tech about their projects. Is it a different mindset, yes, but that is just the way it is. I for one love all inline motors and would welcome a broader member base.
Another thing I miss is we used to talk about manifolds and different things that we designed and made in our own shop which except for turbo stuff most of that has gone away. This type of thing might be of greater interest to the young guys who have more time than money, that is how a lot of us started out years ago, we couldn't go out and buy it (no money to spare or nobody sold it) so we had to build it. I wonder if the young guys had just a few ideas to get them started what they could come up with that we never thought of or considered.
Did you ever wonder what a good 261 with fuel injection and a turbo adapted to a new six speed auto out of a late model silverado would perform in a small import body that had a tube chassis and weighed in under 2000 lb. Just food for thought. I know how a big block ford six runs in a 1700 pound roadster with no blower, some guys would say awesome.
This is not a shot at Tim. He is doing a great job and he has my total support.

Our search engine sucks. I can go to the HAMB and type in "chevy 153" and get 16 pages of related posts. Here I get 24 pages that are mostly what I get when I click on "Active Topics" If I go to the advanced search it just gets more confusing with mostly the same results. If someone come here looking for information it had better be something that was posted in the past week. I don't want to be told how to use our search feature I want a search feature that I can use.
Several years ago there was a problem because searches crashed the board or something and we had to use the "newer than -older than" boxes. I haven't been able to find old posts sense. Having been here a while I can find some old posts by thinking of who would have posted on a subject or would have responded to it and doing a search of their posts. If you don't know us that doesn't work well.
To me this is an obvious reason new people don't hang out here. There are LOTS of younger than us folks out there with old inlines. If one goes to the HAMB and searches "chevy 216" he gets 16 pages that start out with posts about 216 issues. The same search here gets 24 pages that I quit looking at on page 5 because there was nothing about a 216 yet. Why come back here? It has to be easy. With the same search on Google the 4th hit is the HAMB. Stovebolt shows up twice before our first hit on page 2, the only one in the first ten pages. It is a question about what a 216 is worth.
I'm only saying that we need to make the wealth of information here easily accessible. I know there is a contingent in our club that are against "giving away" information to anyone, especially nonmembers. Some of them see it as lost book sales and some are just pompous old farts who want their knowledge scattered with their ashes. No one is going to join a club before they see a benefit for themselves. These guys will drag the club into their graves with them. The information if in print or steel will out last them. It will only be acquired from another source. Anyone who dies with information others need will not be missed for long. When we drink a toast to your memory we will not be crying. \:o \:D
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/17/13 05:28 PM
This is true beater i'm only 22 and i find it extremely difficult to find thing in older posts ususl end up beating a dead horse starting a new post instead of reviving and old one
One thing you can do Beater is when you do have time to sit down and delve into the archives and find something that is noteworthy, you should copy it to a Word Document and save it to your computer as a backup, then if someone asks about the topic, you can just copy and paste it back in the thread.
I agree, the search engine here is the worst one out of all the BB's I go on.

Needs a revamp for sure.

MBHD
If you find a topic/thread of interest you can go to "topic options" and add it to your watch list. But that doesn't help find it to start with. Hank I use your posts when looking for turbo and supercharger info. I don't look for our old fusses much.
Thanks guys I think this is a key issue. Add all of the 12 Port info + all the old posts from the BB and we have a wealth of inline tech. The Tech Tips alone could attract many new members. If it can be easily accessed I think we will see a great increase in activity and interest. Maybe we can get some of the old crowd back.
These UBBThreads forums have settings that you can change to make to threads stay active longer before they are sent to the archives, maybe the different forums here can have the settings changed to extend the length they stay active.
A classic example is the inliners rides section of this web site my car was added in either 2007 or 2008 don't remember which and there has only been 8 or 9 cars added since. Where else can you show your car to the world for free, but no one is taking the time to send Titen your pictures and information. I agree that we could use a more modern BBS software BUT if we aren't going to support it why bother. Most clubs officers and chapter heads send in information to post on the website on a regular basis but we don't even seem to have that here. A club that wishes to grow needs to have a very interesting and informative web site, which we lack, ours is stagnant and somewhat boring but if we as members won't send in things to be posted then all the new softare in the world won't help. I don't think this is the case but if we are sending this in and it isn't being used then we need to change that. Most web sites have a section that shows the scheduled events of the different chapters, so that an interested visitor might be able to stop in for a visit an meet other inline nuts in their area which might encourage them ro become members. A good question would be how many of you even visit the rest of the web site, and if not why not. Maybe we need a better connection between our web site and our newsletter, maybe we need to think about makeing the news letter electronic and save the printing cost of a hard copy, several of the clubs I belong to have done that and found they had an increase in membership because the outsiders could find out what they were missing. then the extra dues money could be spent putting on more club events all over the country instead of just west of the Mississippi. A lot of us can't travel 2 or 3 thousand miles to an event.
Posted By: mdonohue05 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/18/13 10:54 PM
You might want to get in touch with Otis at the trifive.com website. I am a member there and it's a very good and active site with members who are more than willing to assist other members with tech and how too's. I have absolutely no doubt that he would be willing to give his advice and opinion as to how we might improve the usability and functionality of our website.
I think Bill made some good points. I hardly ever have looked at the rest of the site because the forum is the reason most come here and it is always changing as far as new posts and new people coming on board discussing their projects. The other pages on the site have the same content on them that were there 6 or 7 years ago when I first came here, so there really isn't any point to look at them if they don't change the info on them. You really could delete the first 10 sections of the website, because all that info is in each issue of the 12 Port News anyway, so its kind of redundant to have it both places, especially if your a member and get the 12 Port News that is.
I come here for the BB but I think those other areas are good for new users to check us out and they don't know what hasn't changed. The Club info is current and a help to prospects. We need more Tech Tips but that's our fault. The Megasquirt article I was working on has become obsolete while I have been bumbling along. One BB I used to visit became almost unusable when they attempted to make it more fun to use.
I'll take my wack at the forum, the younger guys we ran into at the Hot August Nights swap meet did say they use the Inliners forum for a reference tool and also look to other forums like the HAMB and The Stovebolt Page for info on how to build these engines and the cars and trucks that use them. Forum tech threads are fine if they stay focused, but just about everyone I've followed turns into a bench racing discussion, there are a bunch of new products on the market and on the horizon to be released soon and these should be featured and follow up tech articles on their use. I believe the club and the forum have a future, but we need to entice new members in a way the can relate to through the use of media, conventions or regional conventions/shows/drags. The young guns are needed. nuff said
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/19/13 07:52 PM
Google or other external search engines work better.

type in what you are looking for, plus one space then "site:inliners.org" without the quotes.

It should restrict the search to this site.

I hope that helps.
Good point Erik, if anything has ever been posted on any forum, a Google search records it and can be found with little effort. Another thing i've seen mentioned on other forums with having difficulty finding topics with their search functions, and that is if the original topic heading is misspelled, and you try to search for it using the correct spelling.
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/19/13 11:26 PM
Would someone post a topic so I can test the search on this end?

Tim
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/20/13 12:38 AM
Titen,
Try searching 194 head or leelites

I just tried the "194 head " in our search. It brought nothing up of value on the first page.

Tried searching "194 head inliners" on yahoo and got 5 pertinent hits back to our site.

Another thing I see useful on other sites , for example "Speedtalk" board allows direct downloading of images. No more photobucket or imageshack. That would be a boon for the not so tech savy people (like Beater).
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/20/13 01:44 AM
Here's some of my thoughts, I think having the Chat room back would be great for us all and even help getting some new folks in and involved.I know we have the calendar and Chapter Chatter but maybe something like upcoming events or posting the chapter meetings in a section from the newsletter so folks can see where we are meeting up at.Also what about posting the racing schedule thats in the newsletter in the racing section. As far as imports I have had a few people with them contact me about joing the club as they were looking for a car club to join.I have seen import motors especially the Supra motors put into everything from MG's to late model Mustangs in the circles that I run in and other motors put in racecars do we not try to recruit thses folks??Not trying to chase off Beater but we have several options from the youth who are into the old iron and even the older generations that still dont know about us.And doesn't it say up above "Devoted To All Inline Engines"?
Since there isn't any import engine enthusiasts here yet, i'd say to not encourage them to come. There a several dozen Sport Compact Import inline forums for them to choose from, but there is really only 3 American Inline forums that cater to all US brand inline guys, and from the sounds of it, it maybe less one if they don't deem this one necessary. So yeah, while growth is good and new recruits are needed, I don't think that the intention of the founders of Inliners back in the 80's was the non-US based groups to be included in it.
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/20/13 12:46 PM
Tom, I did a search for "194 head" (with quotes), checked 'in subject', and with a 'Date Range' of newer than 8 years and it came up with 2 pages and about 5 unique threads. Checking 'in subject and body' it came up with 13 pages, but I didn't count the unique threads. All of leelites original posts were pretty much purged, there are references to him going back several years, my best search results were without quotes.

Tim
I got mixed results using both qoutes and not. One search got 16 pages all the way back to 2002. I left all the fields blank except the one for All Forums and got the best results with that method.
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/20/13 04:10 PM
Picture posting seems to be an issue for nee members of the site and an inconvienence for older members
Pics aren't so bad, you just need to get a photobucket or imageshack account and its fine. Also, the Edit button for posts needs to have more hang time, I went to update a thread that I posted on just an hour earlier and it was gone already. Hate to have to start another posted just to add more info to the same thread. It needs to last for a couple of days before it goes away, thats just an Administrator control panel fix.
If it isn't easy and straight forward it's a problem. \:\) No quotes, no dates, just easy info. Like I have said many times I learned to post pictures and links from the Stovebolt sight. They have a forum called the short bus that instructs people like me to do the things you guys do.
LINK
Posted By: Xerxes Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/21/13 10:45 AM
Okay, my two cents. I'm not in the demographic they are hoping to appeal to, but the website has nonetheless been very helpful to me, and I'm glad I found it. Mostly I lurk and read, but when I have needed information, it has always been forthcoming. I will echo the concerns regarding the search feature, however the the board as a whole has been very helpful to me.
How old is this Board? The oldest post I have found is 2000.
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/31/13 12:35 AM
It was formed late April or early May of 2000.

Tim
Thanks, I'm working on searching some old topics and kid f getting a fell of what it was like before I got here. Maybe looking at some things that could be turned into tech tips and be more easily accessible. Mostly just things I need to know.
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 08/31/13 05:22 PM
I have seen a lot more on google in the last weeks wgen i search inline topics on tge first page
Josh, I don't get what you are saying. Do you get more posts from this site or more from the whole internet?
When I Google 250 inline engine I get Crank Shaft Coalition, Smokstak, Hamb and a bunch of vendors but no Inliners on the first page. I believe that Google lists posts by the number of daily requests on a company or organization, so does every inliner with a computer request the Inliners once or twice a day to make a first page entry? Or make it more appealing so more people search for it?
I just wish I could post easier on the site. sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesnt....
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 09/02/13 07:25 PM
Beater more from this site idk if it all of us trying which it giving the dite hits or what
bump
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 09/27/13 10:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
When I Google 250 inline engine I get Crank Shaft Coalition, Smokstak, Hamb and a bunch of vendors but no Inliners on the first page. I believe that Google lists posts by the number of daily requests on a company or organization, so does every inliner with a computer request the Inliners once or twice a day to make a first page entry? Or make it more appealing so more people search for it?

Part of what makes Google the preeminent search site that it is, it has a relevance feature.

It's supposed to (usually) find you the closest to what you asked.

Of course as with all things, there's ways to get your site further up the list.

It shouldn't mean we're not on the list though.

Ewwww.

I just searched "250 chevy" (without the quotes) and we don't show up till halfway down the second page.

with this thread.

https://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=69658

If it's not the first page, it may as well not be there.

I'll ask around and see what my more search engine savvy friends suggest (I quit building web sites before Google took off, yeah, it's been a while ;\) ).
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 09/27/13 10:20 PM
Oh yeah, what's the status of the site remaining open?

Seems a shame to throw all this away.
Yeah, do we make the grade! Oh yeah, bump for post count! \:D
Information is only valuable and reliable when it is printed on paper and at the very least a month old. It becomes better information if it takes three or four months to challenge it or correct it. It can become "Gospel" if the original spewer ignores the input of others. \:\)
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/07/13 12:20 AM
BUMP for October.
We need a useable search feature, access all 12 Port News tech articles, and a user friendly Fab Forum. This will never happen because too many of the decision makers of Inliners International are more interested in selling information than sharing it.
The attitude of," I learned it the hard way and so should you" will kill this group. There is far more easily accessible inline information on other sites. Much of it is more relevant than what is not shared here.
I find myself coming here less for information and more just to socialize with guys I consider to be friends. I feel that I have much the same attitude toward Inliners International in general. My local chapter is the greatest bunch that has ever allowed me to hang out near them, but I have to be a member of the big outfit to be in the local. I enjoy the folks I met here and especially the ones I see a Bonneville, but they are ALL on other web sites.
Are you ready for November? \:o
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
This will never happen because too many of the decision makers of Inliners International are more interested in selling information than sharing it.
\:o

You've got me confused Beater The only information I can think of for sale is Leo's book"The Power Manual", can you clarify this? Any time I've been stuck with a problem and I can't find the answer here a phone call to one of the members will usually solve the problem, and most calls are to vendors.
It was a rant. There are some in the club who feel the Board gives too much to nonmembers for free. The wall between the 12 Port News, which is information for sale, and the bulletin board frustrates me. Having better access to the wealth of information buried in piles of old magazines and the information on hard to retrieve posts here could make this board an important source of inline information. A few years ago we were getting posts from folks with engines from several different makers. We lost those guys I think because when they come here they can not find threads that help them.
I guess it's just two separate clubs and I should get over it. \:\)
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/08/13 12:00 AM
I agree with Beater. If someone comes here to look up info and cannot find it because of a cheap search function. We will lose out on potential members.

There are tons of other sites that have a nice feature to allow direct downloading of images also. No more photobucket junk.
Its sort of like so many other technologies. When the forum started, i'm sure the internet was also a new novelty. But as the forum grew, it outgrew the initial expectation they thought it would, and now its antiquated in a lot of ways, and as the technology of the internet has grown, the forums technology stayed where it began.
And what exactly does your membership buy you? You get a magazine every couple of months that has most of the same stuff the Home Page already has on it, and you get to put a member# beside your username on the forum. Is that really worth $28 bucks a year?
Posted By: walpolla Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/08/13 06:17 AM
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
And what exactly does your membership buy you? You get a magazine every couple of months that has most of the same stuff the Home Page already has on it, and you get to put a member# beside your username on the forum. Is that really worth $28 bucks a year?

I agree with you, on that one. As an overseas (now past) member, that was what prompted my decision to not renew my membership.
We really all are motivated by "whats in it for me", and if the value is not there ... well, move on.
I still browse here almost daily though.

regards,Rod
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/08/13 12:47 PM
Website and BB Thread

The reason I posted this thread is to get input from the members on how to make the BB better, and how we can improve our presence on the internet. You all have provided some very good suggestions and input. The next step is to ensure that memberships and renewals can be processed easily and securely online. I will get the latest version of UBB, hopefully that will streamline the search and posting issues. Also I will look into a chat solution. We do need to get the TPN and the website more synchronized, and that is being looked into too. Because of the main reason for the Inliners International (inline engines) I don't forsee us ever being as big as the H.A.M.B. but I must disagree that about the value of being a member. The BB or the Website will not survive without an increase of paid memberships. Also, while I am happy to say there are younger members interested in the technology, I still haven't found the way to draw them to the website. The ongoing Website Committee has planned to get input from the younger members in their chapters to see what they would be looking for. That being said, this thread has been going for almost 2 months now and I don't want the input to lose it's freshness, so I am going to take it down and archive it in the next few days.

Thanks for your help guys,

Tim
I think to get younger people interested in the forum, you need to first target them publically, so they can see in person what Inliners is all about. And to do this, you might need to let it be up to the Inliner Chapters to host events to draw them in. The internet is so huge, that the younger crowd already searches for what they have an interest for. So to educate them, they need to see first hand the vintage stuff, and talk to the owners and chapter members at events or special functions.
So when these Chapters plan a function or event, they need to figure a strategy to bring in the younger crowds to appeal and market the benefits of Inliners to them.
One way to do this, is for the Chapter heads of each region to seek out several local high schools and ask the principal if they would be willing to host an Inliner car show at their school on a weekend once a month or every other month, and rotate to different schools also. That way you get free publicity to the youth you are trying to target, and hopefully it will stimulate them to go search the junkyards and barns for projects to become involved in. Then, this might interest them to further become involved with the chapters in other activities and functions and lead them to the forum. Its a stepping stone process, but its pretty effective to go where they are kind of mentality.
I do not want to be as big as the HAMB. I mostly go there to do searches. They are having growing pains so Ryan is making several changes. That said there are lots of inliners there and many threads that deal only with inline engines. One is just 1928 Chevy four cylinders, Ford Bangers, Sixes in drag cars, Sixes in hot rods and more. My idea is build it and they will come, don't chase them off and they will stay. I do not want to become an import board just to attract young people who will have no interest in what we are.
What has made the HAMB grow so much is their interaction with the public at public events and shows. Just sitting back on the internet isn't going to do it. They have all the HAMB Drags, the Hunnert Car Pileup, Billetroof car shows. Bottom Line is they get out and do stuff the represent the HAMB. Inliners doesn't. Sure I get the email every 2-3 months from the Georgia Chapter head saying they are meeting on a Tuesday night(really....a Tuesday night)at a some coffee shop or restaurant. How is that going to attract potential new people. You have to first make yourself visible for people to know your there, and for the most part, Inliners is invisible, compared to what others are doing.
An online mentor program may attract a lot of people to the site. The hours I spent talking to "Sarge" about the 4 cylinder engines were invaluable and I doubt we even scratched the knowledge he had stored in his head. If we can match that type of knowledge and experience with someone who is computer savy for chat rooms or even one on one emails it should attract new members. Just looked at my card and my membership has lapsed so when you get that renewal section up and running I'll use it.
One of the things that has caused the HAMB to grow so much is the confusion among posters about what Ryan's original intent was. The HAMB is not about "rat" rods or "street" rods. It is about "Traditional" rods and customs. Figuring out what "Traditional" means is not clear to me. The new thing there is "period correct" but in '29 Chevy sixes were not a tradition and neither were Flathead V8s in '32. The tradition was owner built performance enhanced vehicles. Doing the best you could with what you could find or build. Junk yard and limited after market equipment. Much of what has been going on there will no longer be welcome as 1965 is their cutoff year with other time slots carved out for different eras. So turbos,TBI &TPI, Saginaw 4 speeds, T5s, 700R4s, Megasquirt, HEI, coil packs, radial tires, fiberglass repo bodies and fenders, post '65 speed equipment and technology, disc brakes, pastel painted,billet clad, named after a fifties tune trailer queens,95% of Hot August .......... are out.
So here we are steeped in "Tradition" but without our heads stuck in the sand and staked out to a date. I love the old stuff as well as anyone but our Inlines are not just curios from the past. Most of the Inlines at Bonneville and drags across the country are not HAMB friendly. I respect Ryan's call on the HAMB it is his board and it rightfully reflects his interests and thoughts. My purpose in posting this is to note that we could welcome the displaced inliners here. If our board is user friendly they will come. We could win back the Studebaker, Hudson, Packard, Mopar, Ford, Buick, Kaiser, AMC, Jeep, you name it guys.
Posted By: don 1450 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/09/13 09:20 AM
When the National Street Rod Association came on the "street scene" years ago, they focused on "pre-'48"; everything else was a "street machine." "Pre-'48" turned out to be fibreglass replicas with crate engines, automatic transmissions, air conditioning, and not a part on the car made before 1980, while my '52 Chevrolet powered by a GMC was dumped in with "pro street" Camaros and the like.

i have found among the Inliners an appreciation of older machinery that i had not seen anywhere else. Working with an older chassis and drivetrain involves some compromises with the modern world, but one can still maintain the "look and feel" of the time when that vehicle was commonplace. i am a historian and archivist who was alive and sentient "in the day," and so i seek to revive and relive the experience of driving a "hot rod" -- not a "street rod" and surely not a "rat rod" -- that one might have had in another time and place.

When i take my parts to the Indianapolis Swa(m)p Meet in my 1949 Studebaker pickup, people look at my truck instead of the parts. Many of them want to buy it, but they don't really want what it is. They would yank out the "big six" and install a 350/350 and an air conditioner -- and then they would have something that looks like an old Studebaker truck, but it really isn't. Then there are those who would mount the cab, bed, and fenders on a late-model, salvage-yard chassis and sell the rest for scrap, so they can drive a Frankenstein of their own peculiar "creation."

i am an archivist who preserves printed materials, and so i value The Twelve-Port News, knowing that electronic files are extraordinarily fragile. A few feet away, in the room where i am writing this message, six volumes published in 1522 sit on a shelf. i know where they will be tomorrrow, the next day, and for many years to come. i do not know where any "digital" electronic file will be tomorrow, much less in 2050. HAMB's website will be, before long, a "404 error." This forum and all the knowledge contained in it will vanish, but issues of The Twelve-Port News will survive. Yet this forum will reach many people now who may never see an issue of our printed publication. We need both forms of communication! We need to maintain and enhance them both, as best we can, just as we maintain and "improve" all kinds of Inline machinery.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/09/13 05:18 PM
Don, well said. \:\)
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/09/13 05:32 PM
2Xs that Well Said & Put.
I agree. Both have value, advantages, and disadvantages. Both could be better but both are better than nothing.
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/09/13 10:32 PM
Those are my thoughts too!!

Tim
Another possible attraction to get visitors and add members to the site is to redesign "Tech Tips", we have 17 total on file which is pitiful if you take into account the available knowledge that could be shared. How do you adjust valves for the Chevy's, Dodge or Ford engines? Adjust multi carb linkage? Rebuild carbs , distributors, water pumps? They come to this forum because it says Inliners but but can't easily find the answers here, but they can find the answers on other sites.
Exactly! To start with add every Tech and How TO article that already exists in old TPN issues. Put it out there for use.
Lee Lites photos of crank shafts side by side and casting numbers were the best..
Posted By: don 1450 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/10/13 05:37 PM
One issue here, for those who are trying to pay the bills -- mostly with membership dues -- is providing services to persons who have not become members of Inliners International.

The Twelve-Port News functions as a perodical in service to members of Inliners International. To place the technical articles written by members online with unrestricted access allows those who never intend to become members to feed on the knowledge of members at their expense. Such a free service, without requiring any recompense, is perhaps admirable; surely it is altruistic and generous; but it does not pay the bills either for the website or the periodical. They both cost time and money.

We should surely encourage every visitor seeking assistance for an Inline project to become a member of Inliners International. Obviously we cannot -- and should not -- compel anyone to become a member or renew membership. Yet we can -- and perhaps we should -- restrict access to technical articles from The Twelve-Port News to those who are helping to pay the freight. We should encourage "freeloaders" to get in on the conversation here -- which should help them to see the value of of our work -- and at the same time communicate to them the value of membership.

One value of membership can and should be access to articles online, "reprinted" from The Twelve-Port News. The effort to provide that will take time and cost money.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450
No one is going to come here get no information and want to pay dues to possibly find what they can for sure find on another site way faster. Many of our members use the HAMB, Stovebolt, etc. In fact this site in its present form has little to offer someone trying to build any thing other than a 250 or 292. Once a thread falls off the first page it may as well be deleted. Those who have been around here a while can find some stuff but a visiter could not. I would hope that being the greatest source of Inline information would make people want to join the club. Hiding information doesn't seem to be working. This is exactly what I was talking about when I was referring to selling information.Members only treatment needs to be something more than access to something we already have in a pile in the closet. Put all the tech info in all the old TPNs in a book and sell it on eBay. Use the money to update the search engine.
Why not start an Ebook.....
One thing the largest sites/clubs have in common is they are sanctioning organizations, (NHRA,NSRA,Goodguys,SCTA,HAMB,etc) where they sponsor multiple events around the country to participate and socialize in, most have a printed publication, a website and some form of member identification like decals ,hats and shirts and rewards for excellence or participating. It seems that a few Inliners meet at these events, usually in small numbers, the only national event we have is the Convention and locally a monthly meeting in a carport or café. I believe to garner more members and grow we need to change the way we publicly present and organize ourselves.
Plus the convention is too far away to be any benefit to more than 90% of the members, and they are too far between them. The picture that is painted of Inliners on other sites and in public in general, is its a bunch of old geezers. So what young person is going to be attracted to that. A change in public image is going to have to also be in the mix. Your also right Jalopy, Inliners needs to make a bigger presence in the eye of motorsports, it is barely a grain of sand on a beach compared to what other sites and groups do.

What is the average age on most Inliners in the club anyway?
Who is capable in the club to carry the torch and has the physical energy to do it?
Whats the average age of people on the forum?
A Chat Room was mentioned...who's going to do that for more than a month before they get tired of it and try to pass it off?
Is the desire really in the club to do this.
Why wasn't this done 5-6 years ago when the club leaders weren't "geezers". \:D
Ok, I'm a geezer and I'll go down with my geezer friends and our geezer club. \:\) Better that than change what we have just to attract a bunch of young guys that don't want to be around us anyway. What good is young blood if have to spill it? \:o All I ask is that the rest of you write your memoirs (Be sure to include all of your speed secrets) soon so I can use them to build a couple more engines before I croak. \:D We are what we are and that is a pretty damn good bunch of folks. No need to put a lot of effort into becoming less just to attract others who would already be here if this was what they wanted. I intend to blow up every engine I've got anyway so there will be nothing to pass on to them anyway. \:D

And by the way I finally figured out how to find every post on this site that was ever responded to.
Wow , Beater, remember as you get older you need more fiber in your diet, , and how much do we have to pay you to utilize your better search discovery?
Just remember, fiber is your friend, \:D
Posted By: 53chevy Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/12/13 11:10 AM
OK, I'm a geezer to at 71 years old. Since I was 14 years old I have had a love and fascination with Inline engines. Throughout the years I have had a few great V8. 20 some years a go a guy gave me a copy of a 12PortNews and an application.

Over the years my wife and I have meet some really great people in the Inliners. And have yet to find one who won't go out of their way to help you. This is a great organization and it can get better. But, it will take the effort of it's members to do so.

I know that Tim and the committee are working hard to improve the web-site. And that there are many differant ideas on how to do that. It's going to take some differant opinions and some constructive arguments to make these positive changes.

We will not get all the young-bloods, or even some of the old geezers. But to grown we need ALL of the members to hand out a copy of the 12PortNews with an application, as a figure of speech, and to become active in the club. Yes, it is a long ways to travel for a convention. But it is a way to meet more people with like interest, to exchange ideas and to have a great time supporting the club. As the club grows there will be more money to improve our web-site.

It's time for everybody to step up and help grow the club by being active. I know it is hard to find time and even the money for some. But, if everyone does a little a lot can be accomplished.

Thanks for the opportunity to ramble on and put my feeling out there. Now you can take your pot shots at me.

Luke
Jalopy, Fiber makes me sad. \:\( As for the search I'll reveal my method on a dedicated thread.)

53, Some of the best thoughts yet. Yes, The members are a great group, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Passing out membership forms with a copy of TPN is an easy and inexpensive way to get the word to exactly those who might join. It has a nice personal aspect that might help someone decide to join us. We have done this on a small scale but if each chapter had lots of old copies to pass out and members did this at every event we attend I think we would get a good response. I know that I have talked to a lot of people but had nothing to hand them. I know they forget what the geezer said but if they read through a TPN after they got home they might check us out. Maybe a prize for the chapter that grows the most each month/year.
As for the convention: what a great opportunity to drive our cars and be seen and spread the word along the way. It's fun to travel in groups and meet up with others along the way.
PS: Send be a couple of boxes of old TPNs.
For Inliners to grow, it needs to do so on a Chapter level, since they are the ones that actually have a better potential for face to face events with the public. All these get together's in the 12 Port News look cool and seem like fun, but they also seem to be exclusive to Inliner guys and gals only, instead of inclusive to draw in non-Inliner people.
I think each Chapter should have at least 3-4 events a year where they actually host events and try to market Inliners to the public with some sort of drive to hand out the 12 Port news(current ones, not 5 years old either)and membership apps as well as sell Inliner merchandise. It could be something as simple as going to local Goodguys events of NSRA type stuff that's local to those Chapters or create their own event.
There is also going to have to be members within these Chapters that have the energy to do this, this is the only way to grow the club is to meet the public face to face.
Each time one of these Chapters has a planned meeting or gathering of their own, they also need to run an ad in the local paper advertising that fact and invite out the public to join in as well. These are all perfect opportunities to meet and greet new people and show them what its all about.
Another good idea for the forum is to have a vault. Or archived.

Where good info on any topic could go into a vault where it could be easily retrieved.
Hope this link works.
Example: http://www.syty.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=28

MBHD
Me and my brother hand out old issues of the 12 Port News at the swap meets where we set up to anyone who shows an interest and offer a discount to any current members on purchases. Over the last 2 years we have gone through close to 100 copies and handed out as many membership apps.
I think CNC-Dude hit on another great idea with the local participation. I know some chapters use a local café or drive-in for meetings and some use members shops or garages, but if it's not advertised, prospective new members won't know about it and join in. The idea of 2 or 3 advertised car shows or cruises in every chapters area could generate interest or aligning with a local charity.
And even Hanks' idea of a vault would be a welcome addition, even if he wouldn't come to the Hot August Nights show.
Come on man, HAN is a long way for Hank. We'll get him out to something closer like El Mirage. That turboed 250 screaming across the dry lakes would be a sight.

I think a group showing/presence at regular events would be an easy way to contact "prospects". It surprises me how far some people get into our RAPPIN' show before they notice that not one car is V8 powered. If we could show up and park together at events and draw attention to how much we are like "real" car people. It would also show how diverse we are. Inlines are competitive in motor sports from rock crawling to LSR. We do it all while embracing the earliest of automotive history. We are not the odd man, V-Things are.
I would love to go to H.A.N.
El Mirage sounds cool also.

I just need the time & $ to do these things.

One of these days.

MBHD
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/15/13 01:14 AM
I think every inliner should be out there doing their thing! I hope to be at hot august nights next year:0
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/15/13 04:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: lowboygmc
I think every inliner should be out there doing their thing! I hope to be at hot august nights next year:0

Me too.

Make sure you plan what events you want to see, without a plan, you see much less. \:\(
It's taken two cups of coffee to read all this and I was glad it took so long. Inliners is a club with members who know one another and meet new friends all the time. This club has given me the opportunity to make life long friends. That said, this bulletin Board gives almost real time interactions with like minded people from all over the world, something the 12PNs simply can't. Through the years I have backed off giving input, not from lack of interest but because I feel new ideas and energy are needed, everyone needs a voice in how this club is run. Tim has done a great job of riding herd on this wild west forum and my hats off to him for all the years he's given us. Be involved, ask and answer questions and maybe Tim will make it easier to post pictures.
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/15/13 08:53 AM
Again every one has to have input and every thing will always be a little different from one person to another like pete him and his gramps knocked out an almost unpresidented feet against time but together they succeeded and beater well he does't do much besides collect parts but we still love him! Just kiddig beater! Heck even me i don't see any other low riders in here but ee are all out there wth one comin interest and its great that even without meeting eachother face to face there always seems to be a bond

Happy inlining
Armond and Josh X2. When I turn this thing on in the morning this is the first place I check out.
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Armond and Josh X2. When I turn this thing on in the morning this is the first place I check out.

After a night of :
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/16/13 10:43 PM
Nice, that looks like my dreams too.
I guess the Feds are not the only ones spying on us. That's the most exciting thing they'll see in my bedroom. \:D
How can we attract members when we can't even publish a location, date and schedule of events for our national convention that is only 8 months away. If we are going to drive a couple of thousand miles to a convention we need time to plan and come up with the coin to make the trip. Those of us with spouses and/or families need to know things that will make the family want to build there vacation around the convention. How many people would be on the salt if they didn't have time to plan for it? Also those of us with jobs may have to get their vacation approved early if it is on a Holiday week end. Another club I belong to requires their nationals to be planed 18 months in advance and they prefer two years. I have done it it is no harder to plan ahead than to wait until the last minute.
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/28/13 10:51 PM
Actually, the location and date are linked on the main page of our website, the events schedule will be posted as soon as it is finalized.

Tim
I received an informative email from our membership chairperson,
Linda Henry. It included a link to the hotel/convention center for reservations, so I think the info is ready.
Should enhance the readability of the content to attract others
Is any body else having trouble getting the new board to load?
yes I am

I get this message:
UBB Error We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Database error only visible to forum administrators

Please click back to return to the previous page.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 12/14/13 01:45 AM
Me too, sent a message to Titen about it. Happened all week long.
Posted By: walpolla Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 12/14/13 06:16 AM
You too huh ?
I thought it was just me all the way down here in Australia. I feel better now. Suppose it will be fixed soon.

regards,Rod
Yep, Me too. Titen knows. After logging and getting that same message, I found if I click again on the "Bulletin Board" in the blue column I'm on the active BB. Very weird.
I thought it was the server from the jail here. It's probably just an internet overload from NSA and Democare. \:o
I called one of the board members and they are changing the software to a faster system and we aren't supposed to be noticing it. But I think we are.
They assured me we will be very happy when it is finished.
Me also.

MBHD
Wow, If it will make us all happy I'm for it.
I didn't know there was a problem with the old software.
I don't care about the software. I just want us to be happy! \:\)
Happy, happy, happy, happy ................. \:\)
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 12/15/13 01:45 AM
Hi All,

There is a glitch in one of the database fields, just refresh the screen and it will work 'till I get it sorted out with the provider.

Tim
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 12/15/13 01:45 AM
Hi All,

There is a glitch in one of the database fields, just refresh the screen and it will work 'till I get it sorted out with the provider.

Tim
Are we using a new provider with a faster connection instead of new software? The only problem I am having now is bringing up the BB and if so I just back and retry and it works. Thanks for your hard work at a thankless job.
Are we using a new provider with a faster connection instead of new software? The only problem I am having now is bringing up the BB and if so I just back and retry and it works. Thanks for your hard work at a thankless job.
Like the 2, 3, & 4 post repeats.

MBHD
Every time I log in or make a post I still get the error page and the administrator has been notified. Also it has been showing the same 3 members in the Who's Online box for 2 weeks now.
Yeah, I know.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 12/19/13 12:53 AM
When I log in it gives me an error (forget what it is at the moment) but clicking of the "bulletin Board" link on the left takes me to the forum, and I'm logged in at that point.

I figured there was an upgrade in progress.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 12/19/13 12:54 AM
When I log in it gives me an error (forget what it is at the moment) but clicking of the "bulletin Board" link on the left takes me to the forum, and I'm logged in at that point.

Posted By: Nexxussian Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 12/19/13 12:55 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but today I got my membership info. I am proud to say that my number is 6155. Jay
It will work....kinda a "bat cave" anyhow.....welcome Jay, Nice to see new faces..
 Originally Posted By: intergrated j 78
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but today I got my membership info. I am proud to say that my number is 6155. Jay

That's good news. We need all the new guys we can get, especially the ones who think for themselves. \:D
Welcome to the club Glad to have you on board
Thanks everyone! Jay 6155
it reminds me of the Bill Murry movie "Ground Hog Day"
Posted By: Jimmie Price Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/20/14 07:00 PM
Hi. For my 2 cents worth I just voted. I found the site a couple of months ago & joined the forum & recently joined inliners.
My car - 46 chevy coupe with the 216 is down with engine troubles right now but should be up and running in a week or so.
I actually have an inliners chapter about 100 miles away & once the car is up & running I will contact them & attend a meeting to see how it goes.
Although I am new here to the site, I am surely not a young new member at 76 years old. Having fun & reliving driving in my youth in the 50's is what I am up to. The boards have been a good resource for me in getting info on the changes I plan to make with the car.
My first step right now is to get the 216 engine back up & running with new timing gears so I can use it until I get a 1956 235 rebuilt with 3/4 cam, dual 2 bbl carbs & headers & dual exhaust, 12 volts with assorted dress up items. This will make it into a typical 6 cylinder street rod of the 50's similar to what I drove back then other than the 2 bbl carbs.
The body & interior has already been restored original for the most part & I am about to bust at the seams to get to cruising with it & doing local area car shows.
In my youth I was really into drag racing & customs. I do not plan any racing now, just lots of cruising & events, some of which will be inliners, some vcca, some aaca.
I have been looking for a good finned cast aluminum valve cover for the 235 without any success so I will hit the vcca swap meet in Houston in March to see what I can find. The only one I have found here was made without machining for the breather & they are just filing out that hole. That does not sound well to me for a dress up item. Reaming would be much better.
Better shut up for now as surely I have spent more than my 2 cents worth for 1 post.
Jimmie - - Yoakum Texas
Jimmy, Glad you found us. Your '46 sounds like a fun project and there are plenty of events near you to keep you entertained.
Jimmy, come on over and join up with the South Texas Chapter. We have some 216..235 guys that would be eager to help...Look in the Chapters pop up on the left side of your screen and contact Al and get on his email list. We have had some Saturday outing over your way once in a while....I am a kid also at 79..!!
Jimmy, come on over and join up with the South Texas Chapter. We have some 216..235 guys that would be eager to help...Look in the Chapters pop up on the left side of your screen and contact Al and get on his email list. We have had some Saturday outing over your way once in a while....I am a kid also at 79..!!
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/23/14 02:08 AM
Welcome Jimmy and Jay
Posted By: cletis Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/26/14 03:30 AM
Or if you are closer to D/FW come join the North Texas bunch for our monthly meeting. First Sunday of the month at Outlaw's BBQ in Grand Prairie. You don't have to wait until the engine is running.
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/31/14 12:59 PM
Jimmy, let me also welcome you to Inliners International. The Texas/Gulf Coast Chapter (Houston) will hold its March meeting on the 15th at the VCCA Swap Meet. We would like to hook up with you. I was reading the G&D, this morning and saw your name there also. I joined VCCA in November. You can find my information on the inside cover of the 12 Port or under Officers, here on the website. Looking forward to meeting you.

Larry Cates
Chapter Head
Texas/Gulf Coast Inliners
Been to some of the Texas/Gulf Coast Chapter meetings when I happen to be in the Houston area. Great active group...
Been to some of the Texas/Gulf Coast Chapter meetings when I happen to be in the Houston area. Great active group...
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/26/14 12:50 PM
Tim,
When is the website due to be fixed?
We have had errors for what seems like months.
For real. Its annoying to the point of not wanting to come and annoy Larry and Hank anymore. \:D
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/26/14 09:45 PM
Your right on the web site. As far as you annoying me No Sweat off my noise.
Guess I missed the posts where you were annoying me. \:D

MBHD
Just ribbin' you. We all have fun whether we disagree or not. But seriously, I would like to come down to Fla. sometime and race with ya'll. Looks like you had a good turn out from what I saw in the 12 Port News.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/11/14 01:15 PM
Tim, quick question for you. I know on some of the other forums they have a members list. Is there a way to create one or is there one already of folks just members of the forum?
Posted By: cletis Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 04/01/14 11:53 PM
try again
Posted By: Titen Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 04/15/14 12:43 AM
The Inliners send out a membership register, at this time I don't want to trust the internet with a list of our bulletin board members.

Tim
The Inliners send out a membership register, at this time I don't want to trust the internet with a list of our bulletin board members.

Tim

Tim
It is already too easy use what is already out there for someone who is not a friend to find out too much about us. Lets not make it easier. Personal contact can be done with a PM.
Hi all & Tim,

I was just wondering if there is a way we could add a box to click on where you could just find posts/topics that you/me started?

Sometimes I would just like to see posts I started a topic on, but we only have a box to see all of your posts, too many to sort through IMO.

Any who, just a thought.

MBHD
Hank if you click on the poster's name it opens a box. If you click on the last choice "View Posts" it will take you to all of that person's posts. At the top right of that page you can select "Topics Created" or "All Topics". Is that what you are asking? At any rate it is an interesting feature and a great help in searching old topics.
Thanks Beater,

but I would like to see just an option to see topics started by a person, so you do not need to go through hundreds or more posts just to find a certain post.

Hope that makes sense?

MBHD
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 06/11/14 01:23 AM
FYI, About a year ago Will Willis commissioned a group to look into revising the Website and the Inliners logo. A new website has been created along with two logos. They will be presented at the Convention. Our plan is to invite Chapter Heads who can't attend to join the presentation via an internet meeting.
Your Chapter Head will have samples of the logos shortly after the meeting. For those members without Chapters, we will make an effort to get them out for your viewing. We ask that you take a look a them and let you Chapter Head know which one you prefer. We plan to make a decision on the logo soon, so we can move forward with the implementation of the website. Also, a Facebook page has been created so the club will move into the social media arena. We hope this will bring some younger members into the fold. Good things are coming and we hope you will bear with us for a few more weeks.
That sounds good but please be careful in what you wish for. While up dating the site and possibly the logo are needed younger is not necessarily better. I for one have no interest in belonging to an import tuner group or Facebook.
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 06/11/14 01:56 PM
Hey Beater, Thanks for the feedback. At no time has this committee ever given consideration to attracting the tuner guys. They are a breed unto themselves and may they stay that way. If you don't know there are a lot of 30's and 40's, even younger individuals that appreciate the kind of cars and trucks that Inliners International is dedicated to. This group, as well as, older folks are increasingly getting their news and sourcing information from social media sites. We are trying to make it as easy as possible for them to find us. I believe it is up to the Chapters as to whether or not they allow import owners.
There are several of those guys around here and they seek us at a lot at events. We are grabbing a few of them. I hope the new board will have a really good search feature. We loose a lot of potential members when they come here looking for info they can not find. Once a thread falls off our front page it is tough to find so we end up with lots of good stuff spread all over.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 06/14/14 02:41 AM
Beater, I don't know about the Chevy and Mopar guys but there are several Ford Inline 6 pages and groups on FaceBook already and those are sources to tap into to spread the word about Inliners.
Just to help answer efi-diy's question. The last post on the subject here was a few days short of a year ago. Since I'm no longer a member I figure the new Logo I never saw is none of my business. smile
The young folks want mobil frindly sites with Apps...!!! My grandkids don't even own a laptop or desk computer. Even the HAMB switched. Myself, at 80 years and get along fine right here but i do use a Laptop and have a Iphone and Ipad that has to be expanded to read the posts when i am away from home. I think the content is ok but just a little "old school" when on mobil phones..... I may be all wet but you asked for it.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/28/15 10:55 AM
I see there is still issue with the staying logged from one page to the next. What's Up with that YET?
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/28/15 11:57 PM
Hmmm. I haven't had any problems on multiple computers.
Which browser do you use? Has it done a update lately?
I have to log in often. I just gave up mentioning it and yes I'm updated. It only happens here.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 10/29/15 01:32 AM
Beater,
I haven't had any problems for awhile of staying logged in.As for some of the other issues here.... wish I had some answers for ya.
frown
No big deal. It's quicker than getting into my email. laugh None of it is your job, they will do what they do. maybe shocked
There really isn't any advantage to log in unless you are going to make a post or answer a private message. The only other forums that you see that are hidden is the "Bench Racing" one and a few others that don't see much action anyway. So if you only log in once a week or once a month, you don't really miss much because there isn't much posted there.
The whole site is floating in cyber space. Member Pages is just for members but nothing there works anyway. All the other categories have been the same for since 2013. There have been no new tech tips for several years. But there is a Facebook page. It will all be updated by and by. laugh
Posted By: doug albee Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 11/05/15 08:25 PM
Its comforting to know that the powers to be are looking out for our welfare. I mean, what's 2 years to do an update amongst friends.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 11/06/15 01:27 PM
The only part I would add. There is always room for more volunteers.
Posted By: doug albee Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 11/06/15 04:44 PM
sounds like a plan to me. And I will add, why has nothing been done to the home page by the current volunteers ? Is there something going on that is not being shared with the rank & file ?
Just asking.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 11/08/15 04:14 PM
Doug,
To answer your question, I'm the only volunteer here right now and my Moderator capabilities are very few. I'll be honest I have no access or knowledge for that matter on how to change stuff on the website, the only one that can do that is the admin person Titen.
Posted By: doug albee Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 11/08/15 08:41 PM
Thanks for the honest response, Maybe someone with the time & knowledge will step up & take over the administrators role.
Originally Posted By: doug albee
sounds like a plan to me. And I will add, why has nothing been done to the home page by the current volunteers ? Is there something going on that is not being shared with the rank & file ?
Just asking.

YES! Quite a bit. frown
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/11/16 10:33 PM
Well I see staying logged in from Page to Page is still a Issue unfixed.?????????
Larry it probably won't be fixed as Tim resigned from the BBS as I understand it. You might want to check your computer settings as mine stays logged in, even over night if I forget to log out.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/13/16 02:36 AM
Larry,
Bill has a good idea,I can jump back and forth from different pages and don't have to log back in.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/13/16 10:23 PM
First off I do not log off the BB. There are many times I can go Back and forth with out any issue for days/weeks And then Poof same O. Even did it on my Lap top Even when I was running windows7 and windows 10 My desk is running windows 7 So I dout it is a setting Issue.
Larry I'm sorry I understood it cut you off every time you closed a page, not once every week or so. if you don't log out it will drop you every now and then. I understand the server does that when it gets full and needs to clear space for other people. Many sites require you to log off or they will log you off after a certain length of time with no activity.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/14/16 08:34 PM
NP it was never a problem before. But the last yr or two This has been going on. But like I said Not a big deal to log off.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/14/16 11:59 PM
Have you tried going into your website settings "on Inliners" and clear out the cookies? It is in "my stuff"
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 02/15/16 05:47 PM
One thing you all for get I used to mod this BB along with much other stuff.( when Jack was apart of this BB) As far as being able to get much deeper into the BB. So yes I know about deleting cookies. So I shall do it again and see how long it will last this time.
But like I said Not a problem.
Helped me....!!! held in for me about 10 days now...
I gave up on staying logged in a long time ago. If I'm logged out I just log in. It only takes a few seconds and it's one of the few things I remember how to do. It's kinda' fun. laugh
Since my forum also uses UBB Threads software and I have the software designer and owners cellphone number and have talked to him numerous times in the past. I asked this question to him back when it was first bumping people off that tried to stay logged in. He said that it isn't recommended that you purposely try to stay logged in, and that many people have had problems with this in the UBB Threads later versions of the software more than those that didn't. So coming straight from the guy that designed this software, he said don't stay logged in as it isn't intended for people to try and do that. Its not that its right or wrong, but it requires programs inside your computer to stay active and running in the background that you aren't aware of that are running, and this apparently over time is causing these glitches in some peoples computer.
I had saved several links to information on the Classic Truck Shop site. They "updated" to a newer system. I went there a while back to access some Borg Warner Overdrive information. It is no longer there. They lost EVERYTHING! Links to that info is posted on this site but the info is gone. I'm just mentioning that as a heads up to those working on this site. There is info in old posts here that exists nowhere else and many of the posters no longer exist either. frown
CTS LINK
I just did a search on here Beater and found 5 or 6 different threads going back to 2003 if that helps.
I can get responses but not about what I'm searching for. There was a thread about rewiring a BW OD. There was a group called the Old Berb Club. The old links don't work. Maybe it's just me but the moderator said they lost it all and they were basically a clean slate.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 05/06/16 09:43 AM
Hopefully our new website won't lose any of our info. It would be nice if the search engine was better.

Beater's worries are justified.
I'm beginning to think our new web site is never going to happen. smile
Posted By: doug albee Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 05/08/16 12:15 PM
If past track record were any indication, I agree.
I can't find it now, maybe it was removed, but there was a post that said it will be done by May. So soon. smile
I was told it would be done last summer. Then I was told we hired a company to do it and it would be up by the first of May, I guess I should of ask what year.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 05/13/16 04:34 PM
My understanding is the forum will be moved to the new website hopefully keeping everything intact.There is a lot of excess that is trying to be cleaned up such as multiple usernames by 1 person and folks who have not been on here in over 10 years or never posted anything in that time frame.
nln6pinto
And that takes over a year. Maybe we should have started the new page without the BB then added it when it was ready. It seems like only a few of us are still here anyway.
Excuse me I am just being grumpy as we have put a couple years work into this convention, You will even have the chance to when a rebuilt 250 this year, plus many other things. But when a person wishing to join or attend goes to our web site all they find is 2014 information. Many people think Inliners has folded up and no longer exists.
Very true Bill, not to mention the negative public image this presents to people seeing it. Also, when you start seeing people on other forums complain about what is not being done in a timely manner regarding approval for registrations on the forum here and other things, it really spreads quickly to many other forums and many other people as well. Managing a website and forum either as an Administrator or Webmaster is not a part time job or a hobby to do when you feel like it, its a 24/7 duty that is required to keep it constantly flowing and alive.

And granted, cleaning up the older usernames that are no longer valid or unused is needed maintenance, it isn't necessary to prolong or delay the new site because of it, it can be done after the new site is in place with no problem. It's just an added unnecessary delay that isn't required.
Posted By: lowboygmc Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 05/15/16 10:13 PM
Like they say do bad to 1 person they tell 10 people do good to 1 person they tell 1 person
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 05/16/16 01:35 AM
Gentleman,
Valid points taken, with that have you taken your concerns to the person that is overseeing the renovation of our website?If not that person then maybe our club President?
nln6pinto
I have talked to Will and Linda and as I understand it we have hired a professional company to get the new web site up and running, and I understood it would be done by now. But evidently they are having problems getting it done. Who are you talking about that is assigned by the club to be over seeing the conversion. I was told it would be up a year ago but that didn't happen and I feel it is harming our club. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but this was and is not a job for an untrained hobbyist (such as me), it will take a trained pro to save all data and make it accessible to all. Hopefully this will be accomplished soon.
Im sure the president has seen the disappointment disgust about this matter for the 3+ years it has been ongoing, and possibly even gotten emails and phone calls regarding it. However, the person heading up this renovation hasn't really been identified clearly. I'm sure if they were and their contact info given they will surely be made aware of everyone's concerns.
CNC-Dude #5585
I my opinion they should be aware of our opinions if the are looking at this BB while trying to move it to a new system. Which I think would be necessary if they want to know what they are converting to the new site. Otherwise they should just have created a new BB, then created a searchable data base for the old BB information as a separate feature.
I agree Bill, the fact that this has taken close to 3 years to accomplish may give us insight on how this matter is really being handled. As you mentioned earlier, this is a job for a professional company to undertake and not a hobbyist. Similar matters I have been involved with personally on my own personal forum only took less than a day when handled by a professional company. So again, your right, maybe this company needs feedback from the masses to let them know our opinions in the way they are handling this task.
This issue is obviously not a priority to anyone who has the ability to do anything about it. The reason I am no longer a Member of Inliners International is because of the way I was treated after expressing my views on proposed changes to the website. After a scolding phone call from Linda Henry in which she pretty much told me to mind my own business she promised to get more information so I could post it here to help clarify some issues. That never happened. What I got was personal attacks from "41 coupe" claiming he was part of the solution and a member of the team who was working on the changes and telling me that because I was at the time a moderator here I should have no opinions. He was even critical of the Mark Twain quote in my signature. I realize that many of the are thankless jobs but they are not required. If you don't want to do the job don't take it! Over the years I have watched the number of users dwindle to just a few and the discussions of engines shrink to almost all posts being about 250-292 and 4.2. There is far more inline discussion on the H.A.M.B. and Stovebolt.

It is a shame that someone like Big Bill who is working so hard to put the convention together has had so little help getting the word out on the club's website and especially on the BB. We got a lot of help when we hosted the 2012 convention. Thankfully my contacts were mostly in our local and the Northern California Chapter. Bill If I can help you post any thing here please let me know. I'd be glad to post t-shirt info, event schedules, or what ever you want. Tom
Rich, Linda is not the one doing the website upgrading, it is being done by someone else. She even told me over 2 years ago that it would be just a few short months and it would be up and going. Any professional company doing this task only takes one or two days to do this, why has it taken over 2 years? From your own experience in all the times the Fordsix site has crashed and had its hiccups the longest it was down was only a week or less, and this type of job is much easier. So what that is seeming to be telling us is that what we are being told and what is actually being done are two different things. So after two years of it not being accomplished, I think it's time for this to be handed off to someone that can get it done.
Beater of the Pack
Thanks I have been trying to post the info both on chapter news and bench racing. We are down to less than 2 months as the convention starts July 11, 2016. They can get info and registration forms by e mailing Linda Henry at inliners.member@gmail.com. Any place you can post this info would be fantastic. We are holding it in a completely remodeled Hilton Double Tree Suites featuring two room suites plus a complete hot breakfast buffet for hotel guests for $99.00 a night plus tax. For reservations call 1-800-222-8733.

REMINDER HOTEL PRICES GO UP JUNE 10.
WE STILL HAVE ROOMS BLOCKED AT THE DISCOUNT RATE SO MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS TODAY.
BUMP
TIME IS RUNNING OUT. ONLY TWO MORE DAYS TO GET HOTEL ROOMS FOR CONVENTION. JUNE10 IS LAST DAY
It appears that the latest announcement about the "new website" is locked so I'll put my comment here. Caution: The new website at Classic Trucks is pretty and works nice for the advertisers but the forums are dead and buried. Many years if irreplaceable information is gone and so are the people who placed it there for us.
Clasic Trucks Forums
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/12/17 12:46 AM
Just checking to see if anything is getting done with the upgraded website?
Posted By: doug albee Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/12/17 10:27 AM
If anything has been done, we would be the last to know. Still cannot understand the reasoning behind the no news is good enough.
Must me my problem, it certainly does not seem to be theirs.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/12/17 04:31 PM
My biggest concern is that all of the really in depth and informative threads may be lost if it's not done properly!!

I've seen others express that same concern!!
I have yet to see a website go through a major modernization without loosing the "good old stuff". Hopefully that is what is taking so long.
Posted By: Melon Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/14/17 11:35 AM
I dropped my Inliners membership because of website problems..
Melon, a lot of forum members and contributors have left the site and club as well because of this issue. In the near 4 years since this became such a problem, many have unfortunately moved on to other forums while this one is still dwindling to almost no discussions like it once had. A new forum now would almost be a moot point, and won't bring back what has already been lost since so many have already gone on to other places.
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/16/17 02:40 PM
To a few fellow Inliners -- Thank you for bringing attention to this subject, again. Questions about the new Website have been generated and regenerated for over 3 years. A new website design was commissioned in 2013. I was asked to be on the team doing the work. We made a presentation at the 2014 Convention, laying out our views on what it should look like and how it would operate. We assured those in attendance that it would be up and running in a short period of time, only to be blocked for well over a year and a half by the individual running the site, who refused to turn over complete control to Inliners International. The club finally got control, early last year. Once again, I was told things were moving along and it would be up soon. I continued to press for answers for a time line, only to be met with excuses, or lies, until I simply quit asking. To address topics raised by Beater and Blackwater, from what I know of how the current website was put together I seriously doubt that trying to preserve old information has anything to do with why it has not been replaced.
In the Spring of 2016, a group of Chapter Heads and past officers held a series of phone meetings. Our goal was to meet with the club president, separately, at last years Convention to discuss his poor handling of Inliners International affairs (refers to the Santucci matter, where not only did the club lose a Hall of Fame member, but the Florida Chapter collapsed , as well as, another Hall of Fame member Mike Kirby resigning from the club). The group also covered the serious decline in this organization during his tenure. We also brought to the table a list of ideas we felt would help advance the running of the club and improve communications between Chapters and club members. Our meeting lasted over 2 hours and although not all of our topics were agreed upon, a decision was made to move forward on a few. A Board Meeting was held the following day where we were asked to make some revisions, sending them to our president. Having made mine, I submitted the results. We exchanged a couple of emails. It has now been over 5 months and to this day there has been no action taken. Members of this group want
answers as to why these issues have not moved forward.
The lack of forthcoming information does not surprise me. There are four people that control how this club operates, all members of the same Chapter. Some have done admirable jobs, while others continually fail to provide the leadership needed to move Inliners International forward and keep it a viable club. Phone calls to officers sometimes go unreturned for weeks. We all know that Officer and Chapter Heads are voluntary positions, but COME ON MAN. Our membership continues to decline on a regular basis. Remember we need money to operate. Chapters have folded and Chapter Heads are resigning. Look at the inside cover of a 12 Port to see how many Chapter Head positions are vacant. Ask yourself what can be the motivation of individuals to withhold information from a group they represent, unless they are hiding something. It certainly can't be in the Best Interest of the Club.
Folks, Enough is Enough. How long are we going to sit around doing nothing? Until we find we can't open the website or the 12 Port doesn't come in the mail. This club is in serious trouble and who can we blame other than leadership. If something isn't done soon, we will all be sitting around reading old copies of the 12 Port and remembering what a great club this used to be. And guess who will be responsible? It's time for our membership to take action in demanding answers to questions regarding the running of this group. We need to start a campaign of emails and phone calls to these people demanding the release of information. Keep writing and phoning until we get their attention.
Melon, thank you for telling us your story. Please, if there are others viewing this board with similar stories post them. We need to hear from you.
This club is a lot bigger than four people. Many of us care deeply about it and how it operates. This is YOUR club and I hope you will join me in a concerted effort to make our voices heard.
I any of you have other ideas, please bring them to our attention.
41 Coupe, I knew and suspected from the beginning that the reasons for these problems and delays were as you mentioned. I want to be the first to say....THANK YOU....for removing the veil of secrecy that has for so long tried to stifle the growth and reputation of the club. I will admit myself, that when issues like this occur, I often say what I think with no filter so that it will provoke at least some defense on the parties involved. And when it doesn't, it only confirms the suspicions that much more. No moving forward, how can we fix it? Surely with all the collective talent and creativity still here we can do it.
Again, THANK YOU for all your efforts even though it seems to have fallen on deaf ears for so long.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/16/17 10:00 PM
Here is something else to think about, I had a good conversation with Gary Light today. In asking about the responses that he got from his recent survey he had in the 12port news out of the 1,139 current members per the most recent Membership Summary (Nov/Dec 2016) roughly only 5% of the Board of Directors replied and .27 % of the remaining registered membership replied. Several board members have sent out emails to fellow board members ( non Officers) and still only have had a few reply from 28 of our chapters! Some don't even open up their emails! My question is ...Does anyone care about the club anymore? If they do they need not be silent anyomre!!What worries me is that we are in the pre planning stages of the 2018 Convention and wondering if the club will be around in a year and a half? It may be more of a Reunion than a Convention. Yes there have been some recent issues that have hurt our club but WE need to work together to regroup and move forward.I know the Clubs demographics are changing and there are still a lot of things we can do and new people to bring in to revive the club.
Rich, the main complaints i've heard point to a lack of faith and trust in the clubs leadership. Many people really know what was going on behind the scenes and were blatantly lied to when asked about these issues not just once or twice, but going on 5 years now. So how can a club expect to grow when the members know they are being misled by their leaders. Over time, people just don't care anymore because they never get a straight answer and never see what is being promised come to fruition. The entire club can see its crumbling down around them and yet they are still being told all is fine and well when we know and see it isn't. Its no secret on the internet either, more than a half a dozen other forums have had and still have discussions about Inliners and what is going on here and yet the leadership thinks its keeping it all a secret and sending out smokescreens to hide the real facts. They are only fooling themselves and are a laughing stock in the eyes of these other forums and the thousands of readers that see and read those discussions worldwide. The last thing the club needs to worry about in this hour of dire need is another pointless Convention. How many people came to the last one....10? The club needs a complete rehab starting with a house cleaning at the top. I'll let you in on a secret, I was really recruited into the club by other officers to fill an officer role to help trim the dead wood out of the club. Some of the deadwood got removed, but many of the deadest still remain. Many of those several hundred members that have left the club in the last 2-3 years have done so in protest to poor decisions made by the leadership, and they were even told this would happen by these highly respected guys like Leo and Kirby, and yet they made these decisions anyway. So my advice is to get the rest of the deadwood out and try to regain the confidence of the remaining members and reconstruct the club from within.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/17/17 02:05 AM
As to the survey. I tried to answer it but couldn't get the thing to respond and post my reply. This too seems like it has been poorly handled.
I spent about an hour writing a response to these last four posts. Thanks to them for putting this on the line. I am no longer a member because of this issue and it put Larry and me at each other. I think that is different now.

I'll put this away from the other part so the above posters don't get caught up in it. If I get banned so be it. I think the Colorado Top Dogs own the demise of Inliners International and this website. I think they should all step down and see if someone else can save and rebuild the club. I am afraid it is too late. This is a shame.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/17/17 02:50 AM
Beater,
I was originally going to lock this thread after 41 Coupes post but have decided that this thread will be left alone. I am contemplating stepping down from Forum Admin. I have neglected some of my duties as a Chapter head and need to refocus on them.If I decide to do so I will let everyone know. Rich
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/17/17 04:15 AM
I'm still a newbie here!! I'm not familiar with the politics at the top nor am I even up to speed on who IS at the top!!

It seems to me that there are some great individuals who want this forum and the club/clubs to continue and flourish. What are the bylaws or conventions that outline a change in leadership? Are there guidelines that establish an avenue for holding elections? Could there be a vote of "No confidence" to remove ineffective or non performing officers?

As others have said, there appear to be many people among the rank and file who have the talent and the willingness to do what needs to be done, either by performing the required tasks themselves, or by finding and enlisting people who can perform the needed changes!!
Rich, you doing a great job, so don't think any of these comments from myself or others are directed at you. They are directed at the one's at the helm prior to you and I coming onboard. So you are actually part of the rebuilding process that needs to continue if the club is to weather the storm. You and Beater both took on a challenge without knowing the underlying issues that were brewing. When I stepped into this, I knew it would also be a challenge, but those officers that drew me in knew the cause of the problem being deadwood in the clubs higher ups and were trying to take drastic measures to correct it. Hopefully it wasn't too little too late and it can still be fixed.
Yes ,Rich you are a breath of fresh air in all of this. Thank you for trying to get it working again. Not sure but I think '41 Coupe found himself in the same boat stepping up to help and finding little support. It seems that several of the locals are alive and well. Maybe those chapter heads can pull us together at that level. That is where the club lives.
Blackwater, yes there is a democratic system in place for Officers and sometimes Chapter Heads to vote on certain issues. Long story short, many of the Officer positions were occupied by people who only sat on their hands and didn't/wouldn't participate in the voting. So the club ended up having the same 2 or 3 people that did vote, continually bias the outcome of these voting topics. So I was recruited to take the place of one of these hand sitters, and then to become one more voter to increase the odds of better decision making. As more and more deadwood got replaced, the real agenda was to soon turn to replacing the deadwood at the top of the tree, now that all the vacancies for Officers were filled. The ordeal with Mike Kirby and Leo resigning their roles in the club and over 200 of their followers purposely reknownsing their membership and affiliation to the club is another matter, but again reflects very poor decision making and leadership at the top, because this matter was brought to them first before it became the last straw.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/17/17 10:16 PM
Scott!

I'm not an Inliners member. I joined the forum to gather info and make connections like I have with you. After hangin' out for these past several months, I've gathered that there is some serious conflict going on. As I said, I'm too new to know what is going on or to understand much of it. I've been on the board of directors of three different shooting clubs, and am a moderator on two other forums, so I understand friction and conflict.

When my wife retired last spring, she asked me to divest some of my responsibilities, so I dropped off of the board of directors of two of the clubs and stepped back to an honorary membership on the third. We travel a lot now and so I avoid taking too deep a role in clubs or organizations.

You and Beater have helped me immensely in my exploits with the 153, and I hope that I can help here a little. What club is nearest to me here in the Nashville, TN area? I don't know if one more vote, placed in the right direction, will be of any help, but I'll join and offer my ideas and experience if it will!!
No need to throw the towel in just yet, you just happened to arrive in the midst of a long overdue restructuring of sorts. Just keep in mind, its kinda' like our country, its the people in it that make it what it is, not the people that run it!
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 01:58 AM
Beater & CNC,
Thanks guys much appreciated.I went to the convention full of fire and brimstone hoping to get some changes made but honestly felt more like a pup looking for a place to hide after being whipped afterwards. Which made me question my involvement as a member and board member in the club.Change is hard when a majority vote is needed to do so but only a portion of the board participates. I will say there were some lengthy and heated discussions at times at this years Convention and only a half dozen Chapter heads to discuss the issues and items brougt forward at those meetings with officers.Now granted it wasnt all rough as some good ideas were brought up.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 02:02 AM
Beater & CNC,
Thanks guys much appreciated.I went to the convention full of fire and brimstone hoping to get some changes made but honestly felt more like a pup looking for a place to hide after being whipped afterwards. Which made me question my involvement as a member and board member in the club.Change is hard when a majority vote is needed to do so but only a portion of the board parricipates. I will say there were some lengthy and heated discussions at times at this years Convention and only a half dozen Chapter heads to discuss the issues and items brougt forward at those meetings with officers.Now granted it wasnt all rough as some good ideas were brought up.
Several of our members went to the convention in Colorado and made the mistake of speaking at one of the meetings that was supposed to be open to members. They came home very disillusioned with the "big" club. I have felt the same way at Bonneville at the picnic and in the pits. I don't hang out with the Inliner group anymore. It is an eye opener to see and talk to racers with inline engines there who quit Inliners International.

Blackwater, You are exactly what we need more of here. This used to be a very active and fun site. Friendly too.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 10:45 AM
One of ya's point me to the nearest club? Like I said, I'm near Nashville, TN and I do know one other Inliners member but don't have his contact info. I don't think he's active. I'm not sure anyway.

I haven't encountered anyone less than cordial so far. I've come across a few who were a little to adamant about their own opinion/agenda, but even they were tolerable!

It just seems a shame that there's this cloud hanging over the membership, blocking needed progress that could, at least in my opinion, be the end of a good thing!!
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 12:17 PM
Since the Florida Chapter folded, the only one close to you is in Georgia. I've never met the Chapter Head and I doubt that he knows much about what is going on. There are some members in Tenn., I met a very nice coupe at last years Convention. I am the Chapter Head in Houston. If you could post your contact info, I would be glad to give you their names and answer any questions you have. Thanks very much for your interest.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 03:12 PM
Thanks, 41!!

I'll get that info to you!
Blackwater, the one in Georgia would likely be the closest to you as 41 Coupe suggested. Its in the Atlanta area, and even though its the closest to me, its still to far to make any of their meetings because of the early daytime schedule on weeknights they are held. Definitely not conducive to the working mans schedule.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 09:13 PM
Thanks! I reckon I could just join the major club and be "un-affiated" 'til things get sorted out!!

I can't justify a run to Atlanta very often and I'm not that fond of that city anyway. Where could I find a list of past and current members? A list of folks close to me could maybe generate a new club. The guy I know that's a member here comes to some of my shows and if there are others, it might be worth exploring.

Scott! I'm going to Daytona for the Rolex 24. Maybe we could meet up on Monday the 30th on my way back through??
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 09:39 PM
Blackwater,
All members get a roster of members. I sell plenty of parts in Kentucky and Tennessee. Bet you could form your own chapter for that area.

I am beginning to think we are the only ones reading this.
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 09:50 PM
Blackwater. I offered to give you all the info you're looking for, but don't have any way to contact you.
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/18/17 09:58 PM
Sorry, just saw the PM message.
Originally Posted By: Blackwater

Scott! I'm going to Daytona for the Rolex 24. Maybe we could meet up on Monday the 30th on my way back through??

Sounds good! Just let me know the timing on your return trip.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/19/17 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: 41 Coupe
Blackwater. I offered to give you all the info you're looking for, but don't have any way to contact you.

Originally Posted By: 41 Coupe
Sorry, just saw the PM message.

41 Coupe!! No problem!! Just when you get time......

Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Blackwater,
All members get a roster of members. I sell plenty of parts in Kentucky and Tennessee. Bet you could form your own chapter for that area.

I am beginning to think we are the only ones reading this.

tlowe,
I've noticed the activity has slacked off since before Christmas. I just figured it was seasonal.
I'm not a member yet, although I probably should go ahead and join! I'll pull the trigger on that when I get back from Daytona.
Blackwater,I'll send my latest member roster to you if you'd like it. It would give you an Idea of members near you and give you a chance to talk to members and see if there is interest in a local chapter.
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/19/17 07:16 PM
Beater, I have talked to Blackwater personally and sent him all the info he requested.
There also used to be a link at the top of the Chapter News page that gave you all the Chapter contacts. The link doesn't work now....imagine that! Good speaking to you today 41 Coupe, I see you finally got a hold of Blackwater.
'41 Thank you and also thank you for the work you put into the club and the BB.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/19/17 09:34 PM
CnC,
I just clicked on the Chapters link and it came up for me with all the Chapter contact info.
Ok, I see that one now at the upper top left of the menu. I was talking about the Chapter News forum at the top of the page where it has a link that says click "Here" to view Chapter info. Its where you have the Az Chapter meeting for Jan.28 posted.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/20/17 12:02 AM
41 called me today! Thanks for that and sorry for the wrong phone number. Bad keystroke!!

Several of the folks on the list are in nearby locations. I'm thinking if I had more members by location, from North Alabama and from Southern Kentucky I might be able to drum up enough interest in a possible new chapter.

I'll be receiving a copy of the 12 Port News by way of 41 Coupe in a few days, (THANK YOU VERY MUCH) and I'll see what I can stir up!!

Once again, Scott, you were a big help, and thanks for the reference!!
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/20/17 01:36 AM
To become a member, it is a phone call away.
Linda Henry

(303) 443-8185

inliners.member@gmail.com
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/20/17 01:18 PM
Thanks, tlowe!!
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 01/23/17 11:09 PM
Got the package from 41 Coupe this evening!

Thank you very much!!
I have been paying dues to this Club for ears. Why can't we get our "new" web site up?
How often do you see the names listed in the 12 Port News posting here? The web site/BB is not a priority. How many are no longer paying dues partly over this issue?
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/03/17 01:51 PM
Folks
Wish I had something to tell you but I myself haven't heard anything. I'm pretty much in the boat as e everyone else.I am not going to sugar coat anything either.
Since some portion of our dues we pay go to maintaining the forum, who do we see for a refund for the past 4 years for that part of our dues we have paid, because we've been gypped and haven't been given satisfactory service for our money! Just had to ask....
Posted By: will6er Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/03/17 10:30 PM
There have been a number of reasons for being unable to get the website up. I have been as frustrated as anyone about this.

The Bulletin Board has been operable during this time.
Unfortunately we haven't been able to have other current information.

I am going to be making a personal push to get this taken care of.

Will Willis
Posted By: Melon Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/09/17 10:25 AM
Yup, Great question..And now that I quit Inliners. How can I get my "Inliner Ride" removed? I tried to have the info updated for a couple of years and finally just didn't renew my membership...But the forum just drones on with no one at the helm.... Oh, I joined Inliners in the 1st place to help pay for the website.. A huge shame it's been left to wither and decay. Once an excellent source of info on odd ball engines like the OHV Rambler 196 I had in my Willys..

If the website ever gets fixed/updated I would consider rejoining. But after years of neglect, I would have to see it to believe it.
Posted By: 41 Coupe Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/09/17 12:26 PM
Just more excuses, Willis. How about addressing the fact that our Membership Chair recently told one of our esteemed members she hasn't done anything about the website because she's "too busy". Excuse after excuse after excuse, as you and the rest of this clubs officers continue to lead us down the path of extinction.
A few yeas back when I was a moderator here I got chewed out by Linda Henry because we were questioning lack of action on BB issues. Some was my opposition of having all of our personal information posted to the site for all to see. She promised to send information to me so I could let people know exactly what was coming. It hasn't arrived yet. Her excuse was that she had just purchased a new sewing machine and wanted to take some time to use it. It must be worn out by now but NOTHING has changed on the BB except our fewer and fewer posts. If you don't want to do a job don't take it but for Heaven's sake don't block the way for others. Do we all need to join again and take this on at the 2018 Convention or just let it go? Personally I think it is too late. At past conventions members of my local chapter were treated very rudely when they tried to speak at the convention.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/09/17 10:17 PM
That's pretty much what happens when You NOT in the Click as they say. For what has been going on in the So CALLED upper hands of the Club Is One main Reason why So many Have Left Esp. LONG Time members Record holders and Everyone else That has Done
a Great Deal for this Club. To Only Get Backed Handed one way or another. BOY I surely Miss Jack and Many others from here. That seemed to get things Done One way Or another. But It got done Not a Run around.
Sorry for my 2cents. But had to.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/09/17 11:01 PM
Is there some procedure to remove the standing officers and give control to others who will move forward??

For that matter, is there anyone willing to assume a reconstructive leadership role out there???
I just had to do this. So many of us have gotten a good laugh about it on other forums I just had to share it. LOL What is completely ironic is it speaks volumes and is very accurate in a comical sort of way. 41 Coupe and Rich, my offer still stands I mentioned in our phone conversations about the resident deadwoods inactivity and the clubs further decay and decline.
Posted By: nln6pinto Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/09/17 11:42 PM
Blackwater
For what its worth, at last years Convention and to some members of the forum.I let it be known that I would throw my hat into the ring for the next election.
Posted By: will6er Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/10/17 12:51 AM
To:CNC-Dude#5585, Blackwater, Twisted 6 I.I 3220, 41 Coupe

Finally- after almost 4 years I got a response to the Call for nominations.

This is an organization with VOLUNTEER officers.

We were having problems getting changes and later, "ownership" of the website.
If there are members who would like to step up to help with aspects of the club, their input would be welcome.

BTW - there is plenty of room in the so called "Click".
If you are willing to make a meaningful contribution, just call.

My email is will6er@yahoo.com

Will Willis
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/10/17 02:48 AM
CNC DUDE!! Scott!! Call me when you have time Friday.
Blackwater, it may be Saturday before I can give you a shout. Rich, I think you will have the full support of the remaining membership if you decide to run for the President position. And the remaining membership will also support the removal of the current one.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 03/10/17 09:40 PM
Anytime before 6:00 pm. I have a gig tomorrow night and will be incommunicado after 6
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 04/06/17 12:18 AM
I wonder how the new website work is going?
Posted By: doug albee Re: Inliners Website and Bulletin Board - 04/06/17 08:33 AM
putting "website & work" together seems to be an oxymoron.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board