Inliners International
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Pertronix on a Slant 6 - 04/10/20 01:57 AM
I've installed a new Pertronix unit on my 66 Valiant and I'm not getting any spark. I bought it at a swap meet so no warranty, now considering a Mopar electronic unit off a newer car. Is the wiring similar to mu\y stock unit? How about the ballast resistor?
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Pertronix on a Slant 6 - 04/10/20 01:00 PM
Gary, I'm not sure of this but It seems like when I was running Pertronix only pickup that the module would interchange with the standard GM HEI module. I always carried a spare in the glovebox. I have never been left on the side of the road while running points but have called for help several times using Pertronix and Mallory HEI.

In my understanding the ballast resistor sends 12V to the ignition during cranking then falls back to 6-8 volts while running. I don't think an HEI needs it but again not sure. Maybe look on the Pertronix web site.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Pertronix on a Slant 6 - 04/10/20 09:28 PM
HEI needs 12v all the time. For GM anyway.
Posted By: stock49 Re: Pertronix on a Slant 6 - 04/10/20 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
I've installed a new Pertronix unit on my 66 Valiant and I'm not getting any spark. I bought it at a swap meet so no warranty, now considering a Mopar electronic unit off a newer car. Is the wiring similar to mu\y stock unit? How about the ballast resistor?

Is this an Ignitor or an Ignitor II unit? The original Ignitor would not survive long if the key was left on with the engine not actually running - like during basic key-on electrical testing - or if just left absent minded on :-(

Here's a link to the installation instructions over at MGA Guru it shows the variations in wiring versus stock points.

Also, an interesting overview of a discussion with Pertronix support over at Corvair Center circa '09.
Posted By: Lostviking Re: Pertronix on a Slant 6 - 05/02/20 11:14 PM
When we converted our points to electronics, we bought the stock Mopar units, both the control and the pickup. It was pretty easy to mount the pickup in the distributors and it worked great. If I was doing it today on the cheap, or a non-performance engine, that's exactly what I'd do. Only has power, ground and two wires to the distributor.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board