Inliners International
Posted By: blueskies Exhaust is done, man does it sound cool... - 03/03/05 07:30 PM
I picked up my '50 plymouth from the exhaust shop last night, and couldn't be happier with the sound of my hopped up 230 flathead. Still grinn'n... Finally, after four years, I can get the car on the road again! Of course, there's still a million loose ends to finish up first...

I used a set of Smithy's, with a set of Langdon's tube headers. Also had a balance pipe put in ahead of the mufflers, to even the tone a bit.

Now to make a sound clip...

Pete

The pics:

I would say your exhaust shop did a really nice job laying them out and welding them up. Bet it does sound great.
Catdog-

They did a pretty good job, there are a few bends that could have been a little more gracefull, but not too shabby. The guy who does the work has only been doing exhaust for a short time, but did do a training school first. I think this was the toughest he'd done so far.

The only thing I need to have them fix is the right tip isn't quite high enough to line up with the left, but I think they can fix that.

Overall, I'm pleased...

Pete

Would really like to hear it perculate! Great job, beautiful automobile, very well done.
Fantastic job.Looks great keep up the good work...
Pete, I can close my eyes and hear your MOPAR's exhausts! I don't care what anyone says, you can't beat the sound of them ol' Smitty's! I had them on a flathead Ford six, a couple of Chevy sixes and a Gremlin. I tried a pair of Flowmasters on a Chevy, but just didn't think the tone I wanted was there. Different strokes for different folks, but I'll stick to Smitty's. Beautiful job on the car, man!
Ummm... never seen an alloy head on a Mopar flathead before... are they common?
Ray;
Aluminum heads are available in this part of the world. The one Pete has on his car is made by Earl Edgerton in California. Earl also is the one who did the re-grind on the cam in my engine.

Larry Catt has a nice Edmonds aluminum head on his Plymouth engine.

This big block with an aluminum head belongs to Elmer Strange.

Here is a nice Fenton aluminum head.

Ever seen a roots blower on a Mopar straight 8?
Don Coatney

Now that's downright illegal!

Or at least those modern carburettors are... I thought the cranks in the eights were dodgy?
Posted By: Jim R Re: Exhaust is done, man does it sound cool... - 06/20/05 11:30 PM
here is my Plymouth engine. I even properly sized the photo for forum use.
How about you e.mail me a bigger one for inspiration?

raybell@racingphoenix.com
© Inliners International Bulletin Board