Inliners International
Posted By: Ray Bell Agricultural Slant Six - 09/25/05 07:01 PM
Took these pics the other week...

I knew the sidevalve six did stirling service in agricultural machinery, particularly stuff from the Case plant, and then we learned that the 318 (both Poly and LA) was used in Case 1010, 1020 and 1060 headers as well.

And then I spied a Case 700 header... and I found:

Anyone know what size these engines were?
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 09/27/05 09:36 AM
A Slant 6 in a Superbird ? Never knew that. Seeing one fitted like that at any auto show would stump a ton of people.That's real trivia.
Posted By: Ray Bell Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 09/27/05 06:49 PM
Yeah, Evil one, I knew what sizes the engine was made in... my quest is to learn which size was used in the headers ('combines' to some)...

Guess I'll have to go back and climb over it to find out.
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 09/27/05 07:28 PM
And now I know a combine here is a header in Australia. Two new facts to me in one forum post.
I'm on a roll! \:D
Posted By: Tim Keith Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 09/28/05 02:09 PM
I'd heard the "header" meaning the removeable grain cutting deck, some headers are for corn, others for wheat, soy beans etc, many farmers have two headers for the same combine. Massey-Harris and Massey Ferguson also used Chrysler sixes. A 265 L-head was often in the Massey-Ferguson combines.
Posted By: Ray Bell Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 09/28/05 08:26 PM
An interesting comment about the side-vavle six-powered Case header...

My brother in law was telling me the other week he had one of them. "It used a 44 gallon drum of fuel every day," he said, "but we didn't mind so much because it did 12 tons of wheat while others only did 8 tons."
Posted By: Hud I Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 10/01/05 11:15 PM
The Massey 310 combine had the 225 slant six in it and it also had a Marvel side draft two barrel carb. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Ray Bell Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 10/02/05 01:35 PM
Thanks...

I'm now told that some Australian made machinery had engines supplied by Chrysler Australia too.
Posted By: Charrlie_S Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 10/09/05 09:56 AM
The Chrysler slant six was made in three different sizes. 170, 198, 225 cubic inches. This is for the USA, and Canada. As far as I know the Australian slant six was only built as a 225 CID. Also as far as I know, all non automotive slant six engines were 225 Cid. The slant six was used in a lot of different applications, from farm equipment, to aircraft tugs, lift trucks, stationary pumps, and welders. Here is an odd ball
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bombardier-Muskeg-Ca...1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: Dennis Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 11/27/05 02:00 PM
i was recently visiting a fellow who owns an early '50s dodge dump truck that has a 265ci flathead six with factory dual carbs and exhausts. i thought that i had seen almost every kind of chrysler product ever made, but that was a new one on me. sure would make a great set-up for a street mopar!
Posted By: Tim Keith Re: Agricultural Slant Six - 12/16/05 10:57 PM
any 265 is a good find
© Inliners International Bulletin Board