Inliners International
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Integeral Head Replacement - 11/02/19 01:35 PM
Planning on replacing my integeral head on my 79 PU with one of a 292 I have in the shop, now for the question, will the stock headers on the integeral head work on the replacement head?
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 11/03/19 12:24 PM
I've never seen an integrated head but just from looking at pictures I'd say no.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 11/03/19 09:27 PM
The intake is cast as part of the head but the exhaust is split at the engine with tube headers and then joins into a single pipe under the floorboards, My 292 head is off a 70 engine if that would have any bearing on it.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 11/04/19 01:14 AM
From the pictures I see it looks like the Integrated head flanges point down and the other heads come straight out of the side. What you've got can probably be modified. It looks like port spacing is the same. You are pretty good a modifying stuff.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 11/04/19 01:23 AM
The integral head flange will not allow hookup to the standard head. Beater has it right. One is down, the other is sideways.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 11/04/19 03:17 PM
Thank you Tom and Tom, looks like I'll need to get some cast headers wink
Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 11/06/19 01:00 PM
...or just make up six short curved transition pieces to use with your headers?
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/20/19 08:45 PM
I think that I'll order a cast Fenton style when I get my head returned and I swap it in. I just installed a Gear Vendors overdrive behind the TH 350.
Posted By: TraditionalToolworks Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/21/19 05:47 AM
One of the guys in the local Inliner's group I attend has a 292 in a early '60s C10 and he has some cast headers that I think he got at Langdon's, but I think he has dual pipes heading out the rear.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/22/19 06:26 PM
I believe those are now sold by Tlowe on his 12Bolt site.
Posted By: TraditionalToolworks Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/22/19 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
I believe those are now sold by Tlowe on his 12Bolt site.

jalopy,

I believe you're correct, those look like the ones he has. I didn't see any names stamped on them, just plain castings.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/26/19 05:40 PM
Well now the journey begins, looking over the camshaft specs the integeral head engines are the worst out there, so a replacement is in order most likely with 12Bolt's Thrifty Camshaft kit. The truck is going to be used for travelling distances and this change leads me to an intake and carb change, I like the Edelbrock carbs over the Holleys and Carters and the intake I have 3 choices in my collection. Unless someone has some specific idea or experience. This will be a commuter truck and not a hauler.
What's next?
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/27/19 01:45 PM
Gary, What cam are you going with? From what I see the milage grinds are also low to mid range torque monsters too. I'm cam shopping for one to put in the 292 that will replace the when out 350 in my '68 flatbed.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/27/19 03:39 PM
Tom, Looked at Toms (Tlowe) Thrifty Cam set and I think for the most bang for the buck it fills the bill. I did look at the Crane,Crower and Isky cams of which Isky had the best torque ratings but price became a factor .I'm trying to remember where there was a listing of the various cams with specs for the inline chev's but the lack of memory is concealing it.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/27/19 07:33 PM
Found it, http://www.inliners.org/tech/cams250.pdf
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/27/19 08:49 PM
Wow, That is pretty. I'm not smart enough to know what all the numbers mean. I need the claimed RPM range or for the maker to tell me if it is for torque, milage,..... but the first Isky does look good.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 12/27/19 10:37 PM
That's where Tom comes in, His Thrifty set is just a bit more than Isky but not enough more to make it a performance cam.
All cams have the bearing journals polished to aid cam bearings.
212 degrees duration @ .050 lift
.512 lift at valve
110 lobe separation
When ordering, specify a 250 or 292
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/23/20 02:03 AM
Gathering parts for the swap, now picked up a 2bbl Holley throttle body and brain and wiring harness, just got to wrap my head around the electronics required for knock sensor and O2 sensors etc.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/23/20 12:42 PM
When I went on the never finished MegaSquirt adventure here several years ago I learned a lot about TBI setups. I have't thought about it in years and will have to relearn it. Really they are simple if you just let all the components do their job and don't worry about how it all works. 2+2=4 it doesn't matter why. Did you get a complete kit with instructions? If so just go step by step and you'll have it going quickly. When you look at it all at once it is overwhelming.
The 350 in my flatbed quit and I'm back to building a 292 for it and if will very likely end up with a GM TBI.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/23/20 04:00 PM
I got the complete kit with instructions, a friend tried it on his boat but couldn't install the O2 sensor on the water cooled exhaust so for $200 I couldn't say no. I started contemplating using the complete 292 I have in the shop but think I'll stay with the 250 for fuel economy reasons. I got to go to town this week so I'll grab my head.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/24/20 02:12 PM
A properly set up TBI should help a lot with fuel economy. I'm hoping that by being honest with myself on cam choice, head mods, rear end gears, and transmission will make my '68 flatbed a good useable little truck.
Posted By: jalopy45 #4899 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/24/20 03:43 PM
For cam choice I'm looking at Toms Hy Tork cam kit and doing some lump ports to help with fuel efficiency and still have a usable truck, I already installed a Gear Vendors overdrive unit behind my TH350
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/25/20 12:35 AM
That sounds like a good plan. You are going to have a great truck.
Posted By: efi-diy Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/28/20 12:49 AM
Still remember where all the parts are? I think I still have the starting tune I did in Texas on the give away 250 engine somewhere....
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/28/20 11:38 AM
Send that start tune over to me. I have one I picked up.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Integeral Head Replacement - 02/28/20 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: efi-diy
Still remember where all the parts are? I think I still have the starting tune I did in Texas on the give away 250 engine somewhere....

I still have all of it in a box along with the wire harness we used at Bonneville and that I sent to Texas for you to use on the 250. I also picked up an ECM for a 4.2 V6 that I read could be used on an inline at least as a starting point. I thought I could start there without the turbo.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board